Alli

The Last Duel - Ridley Scott, Matt Damon & Adam Driver | October 15, 2021

27 minutes ago, Let There Be Legion said:

Couple of millions would be like 20M+, so we definitely cannot

oh I know, don’t worry!! It’s just kind of pathetic that a movie like this can’t get grown adults out, but children’s sequels can. 

I’m starting to find it pretty infuriating, and hope there’s a nice surprise of a number for this. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, wildphantom said:

I wonder if we can just get a couple of million grown adults to get up off the sofa and go see this thing this weekend. There has to be at least that many seeing the ads and thinking it looks like their kind of movie.  

Leave your house and go and see something that’s not for children, just this once!! You might like it! 

Can I get an AMEN for this?!

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, Val357 said:

Seconded. 

I mean, I love superhero films and blockbuster-y films as much as the next person, but that doesn't mean they're the only thing I want to see in theatres. There should be room for films like this, otherwise things'll turn out boring.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Val357 said:

yup. $350k Thursday preview number. 
I love how deadline try to spin it being a turn off for viewers due to the subject matter.  Like that’s turning viewers off from watching, say, Squid Game at the moment. 

Fact is, there’s a way too high proportion of older audiences that are only coming out for recognisable IP. And they are embarrassing.  Hell, I love all the IP movies too, but I would love to have a conversation with a 50 year old grown adult as to why he’ll go day one for any Marvel superhero movie, but not a Ridley Scott one. 

I don’t blame the youngsters. They’re showing up and keeping the business going. But these middle-aged plus audiences really need to get their act together. Nobody can blame it on the pandemic as they’re showing up for Venom and James Bond. Hell, they’ll show up for an art film in a few weeks because Marvel have made it! 

Why won’t they go and see a movie like The Last Duel? It’s insane. I’m not even talking about significant numbers. Just a couple of million grown adults to go and see a major Hollywood movie with great reviews and an all-star cast. Ffs. 

Edited by wildphantom
  • Like 12

7 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

I love how deadline try to spin it being a turn off for viewers due to the subject matter.  Like that’s turning viewers off from watching, say, Squid Game at the moment. 

Fact is, there’s a way too high proportion of older audiences that are only coming out for recognisable IP. And they are embarrassing.  Hell, I love all the IP movies too, but I would love to have a conversation with a 50 year old grown adult as to why he’ll go day one for any Marvel superhero movie, but not a Ridley Scott one. 

I don’t blame the youngsters. They’re showing up and keeping the business going. But these middle-aged plus audiences really need to get their act together. Nobody can blame it on the pandemic as they’re showing up for Venom and James Bond. Hell, they’ll show up for an art film in a few weeks because Marvel have made it! 

Why won’t they go and see a movie like The Last Duel? It’s insane. I’m not even talking about significant numbers. Just a couple of million grown adults to go and see a major Hollywood movie with great reviews and an all-star cast. Ffs. 

Preaching so much truth here. I literally have nothing to add. You nailed it.

1 hour ago, wildphantom said:

I can't speak for others but subject matter is definitely the turn off for me. It's much more repulsive than Squid Game. 

• Like 1

"Turn off" subject matter is an excuse. If this movie had MCU badge, the same people would be there day one.

1 hour ago, wildphantom said:

I would love to have a conversation with a 50 year old grown adult as to why he’ll go day one for any Marvel superhero movie, but not a Ridley Scott one. 

I have one word: "consoomers"

Edited by Firepower
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Lion Roar said:

I can't speak for others but subject matter is definitely the turn off for me. It's much more repulsive than Squid Game. 

Perhaps too much pre-movie promotional "talk" being filtered out amongst media beforehand is a turn-off for people, even though it shouldn't be.  I've only read vague inferences to the "difficult" subjects this movie deals with, and I'm still super-interested in seeing it, but maybe I'm an outlier.  The fact that the subject matter alone turns people off is precisely why more movies surrounding "difficult" subjects need to be made and seen.  When even older adults show up more for Marvel movies than this, and they can even tolerate Halloween sequel 17 more than this, there is a cultural/sociological shift that has taken place -- American culture has indeed ifantalized itself to a degree that they have no interest in melding real-world concerns with fiction and history anymore.  

Ever notice what happened to all the courtroom dramas, by the way?  I know they're on TV through Law & Order, which may have monopolized the market...and "true crime" TV.  But great FILMS used to be made about this stuff...

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Macleod said:

Perhaps too much pre-movie promotional "talk" being filtered out amongst media beforehand is a turn-off for people, even though it shouldn't be.  I've only read vague inferences to the "difficult" subjects this movie deals with, and I'm still super-interested in seeing it, but maybe I'm an outlier.  The fact that the subject matter alone turns people off is precisely why more movies surrounding "difficult" subjects need to be made and seen.  When even older adults show up more for Marvel movies than this, and they can even tolerate Halloween sequel 17 more than this, there is a cultural/sociological shift that has taken place -- American culture has indeed ifantalized itself to a degree that they have no interest in melding real-world concerns with fiction and history anymore.  

Ever notice what happened to all the courtroom dramas, by the way?  I know they're on TV through Law & Order, which may have monopolized the market...and "true crime" TV.  But great FILMS used to be made about this stuff...

if they made a courtroom drama with Matt Murdock it would make $200 million domestic. I’m not even joking. 

• Like 2
  • Disbelief 1

This is anecdotal of course, but my family always goes to the movies every Christmas Day. But just a couple days ago, my mom said point blank she doesn't want to go this year because she had such a good time watching Soul at home. She said she prefers sitting on the couch with the family while wrapped up in a blanket rather than getting into the car and going out. She probably would enjoy something like this or find it interesting, but she would rather just enjoy it on TV.

I know this is one story, but I do think for a lot of individuals, especially for older folks, COVID has really normalized watching movies at home, especially ones that don't get a PLF push behind them, as the prime destination for viewing. So stuff like this are movies they would be interested in, but only worth a "wait until it's home on digital/Netflix/cable". I know this sounds ridiculous and saddening for some here, but that's sadly how it is in my eyes.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Cmasterclay said:

Movie was really terrific, though Damon (who I thought gave the best performance of the year in Stillwater) was miscast. Damon's way too All-American to do a foreign period piece like this. Too Jimmy Stewart for this role.

How does it stack up against Black Hawk Down and The Martian?  I've seen quite a few calling it his best since Gladiator.

2 minutes ago, Eric Atreides said:

This is anecdotal of course, but my family always goes to the movies every Christmas Day. But just a couple days ago, my mom said point blank she doesn't want to go this year because she had such a good time watching Soul at home. She said she prefers sitting on the couch with the family while wrapped up in a blanket rather than getting into the car and going out. She probably would enjoy something like this or find it interesting, but she would rather just enjoy it on TV.

I know this is one story, but I do think for a lot of individuals, especially for older folks, COVID has really normalized watching movies at home, especially ones that don't get a PLF push behind them, as the prime destination for viewing. So stuff like this are movies they would be interested in, but only worth a "wait until it's home on digital/Netflix/cable". I know this sounds ridiculous and saddening for some here, but that's sadly how it is in my eyes.

Sitting with some neighbors, all over 60, at a restaurant this morning and I told them how much I loved NTTD. To a one, they all said they would wait until it streams. I said, "But don't you want to see it on the big screen?" and one replied, "I have a big screen. It's in my basement." 😞

• Sad 4

1 minute ago, A Star is Orm said:

Sitting with some neighbors, all over 60, at a restaurant this morning and I told them how much I loved NTTD. To a one, they all said they would wait until it streams. I said, "But don't you want to see it on the big screen?" and one replied, "I have a big screen. It's in my basement." 😞

Depressing.... How anyone can compare even a top notch home theatre system to an actual movie theatre is beyond me. People just don't want to leave their homes for anything.

• Like 2

A lot of reviews say this is return to form for Scott. So I guess it'll blow up on streaming. It's average is up to 7.5 from 137 reviews. Truly remarkable rebound for a movie that looked like it was heading to below 6.0 with Venice reviews. Those critics got it all wrong.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ozymandias said:

How does it stack up against Black Hawk Down and The Martian?  I've seen quite a few calling it his best since Gladiator.

I put it above The Martian but I also like American Gangster more than most. Best since American Gangster at least and maybe Gladiator/Black Hawk, yes. It's a top six Ridley movie.

• Like 2