Eric Loves Rey

Weekend Thread - Actuals: H&S 25.3, Scary Stories 20.9, TLK 20.2, Dora 17.4, OUATIH 11.6, Racing in Rain 8.1, Kitchen 5.5

are you fucking serious...

violent films & games have literally NOTHING to do with mass shootings.

And I mean, there was a mass shooting just 3 days before Hobbs & Shaw - why didn't they pull that one? That has a lot of guns!

“While Universal Pictures had already paused the marketing campaign for The Hunt, after thoughtful consideration, the studio has decided to cancel our plans to release the film, ” a spokesperson for Universal said in a statement. “We stand by our filmmakers and will continue to distribute films in partnership with bold and visionary creators, like those associated with this satirical social thriller, but we understand that now is not the right time to release this film.”

Edited by Avatree

1 hour ago, Catty said:

Don't forget money - it's always about the money - British actors come cheaper - Toby Stephens admitted it when asked why so many British actors were being hired.  And don't act like all American actors are trained in the Method - that is not true but nice of you to call it "garbage" - seems like it didn't hurt Daniel Day-Lewis's acting career one bit - 3 Oscars & 4 Baftas - not too shabby.  And theater acting & movie acting are two very different forms of acting - Richard Burton was astounded at how good Liz Taylor was after viewing the dailies while making Cleopatra when it looked to him like she wasn't doing much at all - she had that "it" factor - charisma - whatever you want to call it that jumps out on the screen & she knew that less is more on screen - theater actors are used to big gestures.  You just need to look at any list of the best actors & American actors are all over it so stop with the condescension & denigration - it's uncalled for.

Method is garbage. It got good press from a handful of performers, most of whom didn't really even use it (Nicholson, DeNiro, Hoffman) and it only really works for an absolute smattering of people who are remarkable intuitive performers as it is. And only if they never do anything other than naturalism. See what happened to Day-Lewis' performance when he did a musical?  His performances are excellent but they have a limited window - no comedy, no horror, nothing self-aware and nothing gestic. Pure naturalistic drama. Oh, and while he generally uses a form of method, his training wasn't.

There are many American actors who are outstanding. Best performance I ever saw in my life was by an American - M Emmett Walsh. And there are plenty who were and are trained properly. But the switch and change of culture away from method has been incredibly slow. If it hadn't you'd have a heck of a lot more Willem Defoes. And more Willem Defoes would be a rather splendid thing.

27 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Yeah, the argument for or expectation of good holdover holds was again BOT wishful thinking as seen all summer. Besides the good word of mouth, it should be obvious that some films have had good grosses more because there hasnt been competition as the first time theater counts got zinged they all went ouch lol. 

Will also laugh a lot of Lion King never really settles and end up in the 525-530 range so crazy. 

Nah...can’t really see TLK fail to beat Rogue One’s $532M. That would be lame & embarrasing.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

Method is garbage. It got good press from a handful of performers, most of whom didn't really even use it (Nicholson, DeNiro, Hoffman) and it only really works for an absolute smattering of people who are remarkable intuitive performers as it is. And only if they never do anything other than naturalism. See what happened to Day-Lewis' performance when he did a musical?  His performances are excellent but they have a limited window - no comedy, no horror, nothing self-aware and nothing gestic. Pure naturalistic drama. Oh, and while he generally uses a form of method, his training wasn't.

There are many American actors who are outstanding. Best performance I ever saw in my life was by an American - M Emmett Walsh. And there are plenty who were and are trained properly. But the switch and change of culture away from method has been incredibly slow. If it hadn't you'd have a heck of a lot more Willem Defoes. And more Willem Defoes would be a rather splendid thing.

Absolutes about acting are ridiculous - most actors use a combination of skills and theories and there's not even one way to do or school of Method.

A few points:

Method - as a movie acting trend in America - you're off by a couple of decades - began in the 1950s-  The Actor's Studio, Strassberg, Adler - Montgomery Clift, Brando, Newman, Geraldine Page, Julie Harris etc

The Drama Center - UK - Method (one of several but the first and most well known).  Some alumni

DDL (Extreme method actor) - A Room with a View - Comedy. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Minnale101 said:

What the hell is going on with America. This is actually nuts what they are doing to video games and movies just to avoid the actual problems

I'm a gun owner and it's just pathetic. There should be very strict background checks and red flags laws in place to take away guns first for a review process of at least 2 weeks. 90% of these shootings are completely avoidable without even banning semi automatic rifles.

Edited by cdsacken
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, filmlover said:

Nobody wants to be saddled between IT and Joker.

See that's the thing. Nobody wants to be saddled between franchise films anymore so schedules like this are going to be more common. I don't know about you but it would be nice to have a little more meat on the bone between September 6 and October 4.

Just now, JB33 said:

See that's the thing. Nobody wants to be saddled between franchise films anymore so schedules like this are going to be more common. I don't know about you but it would be nice to have a little more meat on the bone between September 6 and October 4.

Ad Astra could break out. 

44 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Good. It was stupid and would only make maga folk (fake conservatives) even bigger snowflake victims

The sad/silly thing was, the maga folk as you called them were supposed to be the heroes of the film and those evil liberals, the villains.

Makes me expect a backlash over this decision from some (alleged) conservative circles in three... two...

(Yes, I know Trump and Fox News had been blasting the film the last few days - if folks expect consistency in arguments over things like this, I admire your optimism)

Edited by Porthos
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Nobody wants to be saddled between IT and Joker.

Why not? If you lack so much faith in your movie that you aren’t willing to be saddled between a 300 DOM and a 200 film like a month apart, I feel like you shouldn’t have made that movie in the first place because that’s honestly some pretty tame competition.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

The sad/silly thing was, the maga folk as you called them were supposed to be the heroes of the film and those evil liberals, the villains.

Makes me expect a backlash from some (alleged) conservative circles in three... two...

(Yes, I know Trump and Fox News had been blasting the film the last few days - if folks expect consistency in arguments over things like this, I admire your optimism)

What do you think of the decision to cancel the release @Porthos?