TMP

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania | February 17, 2023 | Competing with Eternals on RT, Competing with BvS on box office legs

Shang Chi was solid but lets be honest it was Tony Leung who carried that movie  by bringing a certain gravitas to it and honestly the film couldn't top the bus fight scene which is early in the film. I think the sequel will probably be worse and might not even be guaranteed to increase (since it will likely release around more competition)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, thajdikt said:

Would think so. If it gets to say 35M I can´t see any other market beating that. Would assume Mexico would be closest but not beat it.

ANT-MAN AND THE WASP's top markets

$121.20M China

$042.38M South Korea

$022.94M United Kingdom

$014.96M Mexico

$014.72M France

$014.71M Australia

$013.01M Brazil

These were not really high numbers. And they are projected to drop? 😐

2 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

ANT-MAN AND THE WASP's top markets

$121.20M China

$042.38M South Korea

$022.94M United Kingdom

$014.96M Mexico

$014.72M France

$014.71M Australia

$013.01M Brazil

These were not really high numbers. And they are projected to drop? 😐

SK is going to do like 15-20 range. I can't see anything increase to the 30-40 range china will do.

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

SC's problem going forward is that its most popular character won't be in the movie. Tony Leung carried the first movie, that's a stone cold fact. 

Shouldn't be that hard for Cretton to find a narrative crux to allow Leung to feature, and Feige can find however much $ he needs to make it happen (shouldn't be much) in his couch cushion.

I second in the Shang-Chi praise. And while the 3rd act fell into some old Marvel cliches (too much CGI, too much dull grey tones, contrived setup), it never lost sight of the core family dynamics. My biggest issue with the 3rd act (and the entire film really) is how abruptly the film dispatched of Wenwu. He didn't get a conclusion nearly worthy of the character writing and performance.

Edited by OncomingStorm93
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

Shouldn't be that hard for Cretton to find a narrative crux to allow Leung to feature, and Feige can find however much $ he needs to make it happen (shouldn't be much) in his couch cushion.

I second in the Shang-Chi praise. And while the 3rd act fell into some old Marvel cliches (too much CGI, too much dull grey tones, contrived setup), it never lost sight of the core family dynamics. My biggest issue with the 3rd act (and the entire film really) is how abruptly the film dispatched of Wenwu. He didn't get a conclusion nearly worthy of the character writing and performance.

They can always get Jet Li or Donnie Yen as a key character in the sequel, who are really much bigger draws than Tony Leung though. Curiosity factor of getting Mega stars like Jet or Donnie would boist the sequel IMO and provide some legit action sequences as Tony isn't an action guy. 

Tony's latest feature - Where the wind blows (with Aaron Kwok) just flopped with less than Yuan 50m in China, and not expected to do well in HK, Msia or Singapore. (limited release in the states too starting tomorrow).

Anyway 1st SC did okay because there were almost 0 competition for 4 weekends plus it was the first MCU movie during the pandemic that was not day-and-date with D+, but overall box office is really not much better than Eternals. Simu Liu himself really doesn't have charisma.. and talks too much on social media his own good.

1 hour ago, thajdikt said:

Shang-Chi is easily one of the best solo MCU movies. One of the few MCU movies that managed to capture pre-endgame MCU magic. Will easily gross more than the first one. 

It's also the most straight forward film in recent years thanks to being an origin film. The fact Shang Chi is probably not appearing again (despite an excellent cliffhanger) until a big mash up rather than an original sequel is bizzare.

• Like 1

The MCU is not going to die, but I think it days of box office dominance might be over. it had to happen; you can't keep a dominant position forever.

One problem Marvel has is the changes that Feige said Marvel will be making are 3 or 4 films down the line. You can mess around in Post, but the next 3 films at least are in the can or so deep into production you can't reall ymake major changes easily.

I agree one problem has been the MCU has become to complex,not easy for somebody just coming into it to get caught up. Ironically, the same problem that the current comics have.

21 minutes ago, Flamengo81 said:

I don't think any market will be even close to 35m apart from China.

If the MCU is depedent on the CHina market;that is not good. Just one misstep that Chairman Xi might not like, and the China market is closed. What  can you say but Authorarian Dictatorships Suck?

4 hours ago, John Marston said:

Shang Chi was solid but lets be honest it was Tony Leung who carried that movie  by bringing a certain gravitas to it and honestly the film couldn't top the bus fight scene which is early in the film. I think the sequel will probably be worse and might not even be guaranteed to increase (since it will likely release around more competition)

The fight on the scaffold is much better. That said Tony Leung was fantastic. Underrated villain in my opinion. 

9 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

I am assuming Peyton Reed is out of the picture for directing Avengers movies after this. So its gonna be Coogler?

Every whisper has been about him, question is if he wants it. WF def took a toll on him. Nia Dacosta has always been mentioned but don´t know how legit that is.