sfran43

Weekend Thread: Thursday Night Preview - The Grudge $1.8M w/ an F Cinemascore LMAO

10 hours ago, baumer said:

Soap I read from a couple of horror reviewers on Twitter that said that they were surprised that the Grudge got such a low score. Said they thought it was a perfectly passable horror film and the audience they saw it where seemed to be pretty into it. I know this is going to destroy the film's box office but cinemascore is such a small sample of people that I really think it should be abolished at times.

CinemaScore polls at least 400 / 500 people selected from 5 theaters randomly chosen for the surveys. It tells more about legs than the quality itself, though the quality itself might be one of the factors that end up justifying that grade from audiences.

That new Grudge movie is a franchise movie. So, if fans / fanboys ( the ones who rushed to see it as soon as possible ) gave it an F, then it's obvious there's something very wrong with the movie. Usually audiences are very forgiving, but not this time. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mr Terrific said:

I’ll also defend Killing Me Softly. 
Good low-key crime story. 

I've never watched Killing Them Softly, but I think people were expecting to watch a Guy Ritchie esque flick, which wasn't the case with this one.

I went on youtube to see scenes from this movie. I found a scene with Brad Pitt and James Gandolfini, where they waste 5/10 minutes talking about nothing remotely related to the movie's plot. If the whole film is like that, then yeah, it's a problem. XD

3 hours ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

Deadline's reaction to TROS's underperformance was funny at the beginnig, but it's beyond pathetic now. 

They are using 0 analytical thinking. They mention AQM in the 1st para and that's a nice interesting bit of info. AQM did 31 in it's 3rd weekend in a similar release period, something TROS will just go over despite a 177+ ow. AQM added 75 more after the weekend. Even if TROS were to manage that despite the horrible trending in comparison to AQM so far, it just gets to 525 dom. So why mention 600 in the very next line.

Date Rank Gross % Change Theaters Per Theater Total Gross Week
Dec 21, 2018 1 $67,873,522   4,125 $16,454   $72,573,522 1
Dec 28, 2018 1 $52,114,571 -23% 4,125 $12,634   $189,048,186 2
Jan 4, 2019 1 $31,003,280 -41% 4,184 $7,410   $260,024,160 3

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Boxofficerules said:

Maybe CinemaScore viewers where confused and thought F meant Frightening!

If anything that means people liked Black Christmas microscopically more, but that basically means maybe BC will take longer to get in the 3 bargain bin at Walmart than Grudge will.

Edited by Yandereprime101189

31 minutes ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

Please, please let Frozen 2 outgross Grudge's opening in actuals this week. 

I think that will happen.

Grudge could so something like 

1.8+3.55 (5.35 od)

1.65 (-49%)

= 10.25 ow

Frozen2 won't miss 10.75 3.93 + 4.40 (+12%) + 2.42 (-45%)

In 2013 Frozen1 was +19% on Sat and -40% on Sun

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Europe is my playground said:

Good for Parasite.

I fear the affirmative action style push for Gerwig is gonna get her an Oscar nomination.

See no issue with her getting w nomination. Generally there are dozen+ directors very worthy of one. Only five get one.

I assume Scorsese are Bong are the only locks. The rest is a crapshoot of 10+ names.

41 minutes ago, Europe is my playground said:

Good for Parasite.

I fear the affirmative action style push for Gerwig is gonna get her an Oscar nomination.

Nah she did a beautiful job at directing Little Women. Funny part is that she might get in over her partner who directed Marriage Story. 

44 minutes ago, Godzilla said:

Nah she did a beautiful job at directing Little Women. Funny part is that she might get in over her partner who directed Marriage Story. 

Was my initial post deleted?

I actually don't care for Baumbach either.  As long as Bong, Scorcese, Tarantino and Almodovar (long shot I know) are in, I'm fine. If she's the 5th one whatever, but as much as I found her unique as an actress, I think she's plain as a director

1 hour ago, ZackM said:

Busy all day.  Won’t have any guesses today.

I was able to run some numbers for Star Wars tonight.  Looks like something around 14.5-15M, but this sample has been slightly less reliable than the other one that I normally look at.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1