Eric is Quiet

GOLDEN GLOBES 2020 DISCUSSION THREAD | 1917 and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood win

1917 needs Screenplay or Acting nods to win the BP award at the Oscars, I feel. Before this, I wasn't anticipating a split but now I can see 1917 winning Director and OUATIH Picture, with Tarantino getting the Screenplay win as well... 

It's certainly become a more interesting race, if only because it seems to have diminished The Irishman into insignificance - which, THANK GOD! 

• Knock It Off 1

I'm neutral on Gervais - there is something faintly grotesque about Hollywood award ceremonies, but he's still taking the money. To be honest anyone who can stomach watching these entire shows in one sitting is a braver soul than me. 

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, MikeQ said:

This doesn't really make much sense, particularly in relation to The Irishman, which Scorsese couldn't get made anywhere else. Increasingly Netflix are making films that the studio industry won't make anymore, and Netflix's lure is not "your films will win awards" but rather that they provide the space for creative freedom and the ability to make their films.

Besides, with Roma winning awards last year, and The Irishman and Marriage Story winning awards this year, Netflix is on a good trajectory thus far. None of the films may have won them a Best Picture Oscar (if neither The Irishman or Marriage Story win Best Picture at the Oscars), but only one film a year can win the award. Roma still won 3 Oscars, 2 Golden Globes, and major critics awards. Likewise, The Irishman and Marriage Story have won major critics awards, and look to score a wealth of Oscar and industry nominations for Netflix (with Laura Dern looking to score SAG/Oscar wins at this point), as they did Golden Globe nominations, even if they don't prove to be eventual winners.

Peace,

Mike

This. Obviously they'd love the Oscar wins but the recognition heaped on Roma last awards season and Irishman, Marriage Story this awards season is nothing but a huge win. The nominations in many cases are just as important as the wins. People will be talking about these movies through late February when the awards take place.

I still expect Parasite to win BP at the Oscars. Expect the wind to be spread out like the Globes yesterday.

I am so happy to see Awa win, more importantly, it boost overall visibility of the farewell, and zhao shu zhen is now become more likely to at least got supporting actress nomination .

Zhao Shuzhen is phenomenal in the farewell, to say she is the highlight of the film, is an understatment, she elevated awa's performance, lulu's direction and the film overall  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

Have a feeling Phoenix ain't winning the oscar specially after that speech. 

Why would his speech be bad for his chances at the Oscar?

I just watched his speech, what is wrong with it?

13 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Thought it was pretty awesome that he took the shot at Apple with Tim Cook sitting there. 

LOL, did not realise Tim Cook was there.

Edited by Avatree

17 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Huh. I actually figured that Ricky Gervais’ material would’ve brought in plenty of people who normally can’t stand awards shows. Then again, there was still a lot of political talk, so maybe that balanced it out?

Ratings for award shows, and live ratings for television in general, have declined for decades. It is time to stop coming up with political explanations (validating your beliefs) for everything.

Edited by MrGlass2
  • Like 2