- (3) Dolittle Universal $6,660,000 -12% 3,462 -288 $1,924 $63,959,985 4
- (6) The Gentlemen STX Enter… $4,180,000 -25% 2,557 -118 $1,635 $26,851,981 3
- (9) The Turning Universal $1,540,000 -49% 1,848 -723 $833 $14,151,330 3
- (23) Weathering With You GKIDS $141,932 -62% 106 -118 $1,339 $7,556,201 4
- (31) The Assistant Bleecker … $122,585 +55% 25 +21 $4,903 $225,721 2
- (33) Cats Universal $49,000 -30% 85 -20 $576 $27,156,860 8
- (41) Incitement Greenwich $30,000 +34% 9 +7 $3,333 $58,409 2
- N And Then We Danced Music Box… $14,078   2   $7,039 $14,078 1

1917 could wind up being the biggest Best Picture winner (if it wins) since The Return Of The King. Hell of a breakout.

Dolittle, even though benefitted by lack of family launches, has had undeniably okay late legs. Still doesn't change the fact that it's a disastrous failure.

The Gentlemen continues to trot along. Will easily hit 3x multiplier and probably wind up doing solid OS business as well, so I feel like Guy Ritchie can rest easy that the low DOM OW wasn't an indication of anything.

The Turning has also had better legs than I thought it would, but that's likely because of the low opening. For a 17M budget film, it still has only made 15M WW, though. It better hope the remaining OS markets save it.

I was going to praise Weathering With You's performance as the biggest anime movie in a while, but I forgot about the Dragon Ball Super movie last year (at least DOM). Still a solid performance nonetheless.

Cats. Oh, Cats.

Edited by MCKillswitch123

6 minutes ago, TMP said:

Harry Potter brand was killed by Fantastic Beasts. Charlie spins for HP.

No it wasn't. I hated FB2 still there's no connection to HP8. Its like saying CM or Ant-Man 2 being shit would stop Endgame to do what it did.

In fact. HP 7 Part 2 did that beating Matrix 3 full run in weekend, without China.

Also HP brand has in fact grown since HP DH 2. I know many who hasn't watched HP finale in theatre and will watch HP8, myself included. I actually watched HP first time in 2013.

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 1

Just now, TMP said:

Harry Potter brand was killed by Fantastic Beasts. Charlie spins for HP.

While not perfect comparisons, I think there is some parallel to SW, with the prequels. If FB is seen as an inferior product, fans could very well embrace a return of the main cast, set in the present, etc. Of course, the HP series continues to be popular with kids and adults alike, and there will be some nostalgia should they do a sequel some 15-20 years on, but is the fanbase as passionate as the one for SW, to the point that the jump on a theoretical HP sequel the way SW fans did on TFA? Unlikely, but it should still be enough for a huge opening, followed by unimpressive legs.

2 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

No it wasn't. I hated FB2 still there's no connection to HP8. Its like saying CM or Ant-Man 2 being shit would stop Endgame to do what it did.

In fact. HP 7 Part 2 did that beating Matrix 3 full run in weekend.

Matrix still has nostalgia like Bad Boys 3 did, HP8 won't because there's been more movies and books set in that world since 2011. I'm not even that high on M4, but the brand management's certainly a lot better than the Wizarding World's implosion. Watch FB3 not even hit $100m dom

48 minutes ago, sfran43 said:

FINALLY!:Venom: First 666 of the year!😈

The 3/4/5 movies had damn amazing holds from a nothing weekend to a nothing weekend.  I mean, the Super Bowl pulled down last weekends numbers some, but these holds are still spectacular...

PS - Dolittle may give BOP WW BO a run for its money...off the awful open, the movie now has $158.6M WW with $200M looking like a shoe-in (so it will also get over 1x+ its $175M budget WW, which some thought was a pipe dream before and after open...and this is with no China release)... 

Edited by TwoMisfits

2 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

main demo for Suicide Squad was under 25 (54%). They were 35% for BOP. I think the rating had a big impact here. 

I think that's overly-simplistic.

Almost half of Deadpool's OW was under-25. The rating obviously didn't impact it there. There is an audience for R rated superhero pics as has been demonstrated repeatedly.

This was a combination of issues. The movie wasn't marketed as R rated - because the product itself was barely R except unnecessary swearing - in the same way that Deadpool was. The kinds of moviegoers that were hooked by Deadpool's marketing had nothing offered to them for this. On top of that, yes, there is the issue that people who might have been interested are younger and they screwed themselves. 

At the end of the day, though, the big issue is that WB was unclear as to what they wanted to make and tbh, I think a bit more studio interference would not have hurt it. If you're going R, go full R, market it as such and try and grab people that might not otherwise be interested in these unknown characters, in a movie that seems to have no big set pieces, humor, violence, etc (judging by the trailers they actually put out).

Or, yes, go PG-13 and appeal more to kids. But I think that is still limited, due to the lack of popularity of these characters. PG-13 would have truly made a difference if there were an actual Joker or Batman presence. Hell, even a Nightwing. Anything with the Bat family.

In the end, what it boils down to is that no one gave a shit about this movie and a PG-13 rating would not have made that big a difference (maybe a few million, sure, but unlikely to turn this into a success).

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, sfran43 said:

These grosses are horrible for BOP!😫

I expect the drops to be bad next week. I don't think it's connecting with audiences as much as reviews might suggest (my screening in the UK was half-full but the reaction was incredibly muted). Definitely not hitting 200 WW.

• ...wtf 1