charlie Jatinder

Name & Rate the Movies/TV You've Watched.

Birds of Prey. Loved the aesthetic, loved the villain and Margot as Harley but the structure of it is a bit disastrous. To the point every character and team moment in the final act doesn't feel earned. A mixed bag.

1917. Looks pretty but it barely registers as a movie in the end and is more than a little boring. The one take angle pretty much undones any tension they 're trying to build. Also Tommen is hilariously bad in it. Would be very funny if this bullshit had actually won Best Picture or Director.

The King. Timmy is fine and RPatz is hilarious in his few scenes. The movie in general is pretty decent but like Outlaw King the "epic scale" of it is only epic for TV standards. I guess Netflix doesn't have that much money after all.

The Hunt. The first 20 minutes are genuinely exciting and the last 20 absolulety hilarious. As a whole it's a shrug of a movie and I don't think they manage to drive home their point whatever that point was.

The Nightingale. A harrowing watch especially at the start but it gets much more palpatable in the process. Kent has some pretty bad insticts (like the dream sequences) but it's definately an interesting story told without holding back.

Da 5 Bloods. I was not that enarmored with the obviousness of the first hour and some choices like the flashbacks and the video gamey firefights threw me off a bit but after the "incident" the movie just levels up almost immediately. I like it about as much as Klansman, that was more polished and concentrated all around but this one aims much higher and when it hits those highs damn.

Rewatch

Disturbia. Such an entertaining movie, such an inspiring riff on a classic. Shia had some real PRESENCE  even when he looked like a 15-year old. If they had handled the terrible girlfriend character and the ensuing romance with at least a little care this would have been one of the best teen movies of the 00s.

A Cure for Wellness. I think I mostly liked it back in 2016 just because someone let this batshit insane movie happen. Now I'm pretty sure I love it. I need some GORE in my life again.

The Lighthouse. source.gif

Edited by Joel M
  • Like 5

Movies:

Princess Mononoke-Gorgeous film.  Probably my favorite of the Miyazaki that I’ve watched so far

Jungle Cat-One of those old school DisneyNature films.   Always good to have in the background while doing other things 

Artemis Fowl-Oof it’s a rough one

Da Five Bloods-Good flick maybe a tad too long

Treasure of the Sierra Madre-Had to watch a Five Blood influence.  Still an all time classic

TV

Sopranos Season 4-The first half is pretty rough but it finishes off pretty strong.

Edited by DAR
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Joel M said:

A Cure for Wellness. I think I mostly liked it back in 2016 just because someone let this batshit insane movie happen. Now I'm pretty sure I love it. I need some GORE in my life again.

I’m glad someone liked this. 

Easily one of the worst films I’ve seen of the last 10 years. 

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

I’m re-watching The Nice Guys right now. Don’t know how it took four years after seeing it on opening day to go back and revisit it - it’s such a fun movie.

Definitely one of the more underappreciated movies of the past decade. Would've nominated Gosling for that over La La Land (and I loved his performance in that too) that year if I had to pick one.

18 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Definitely one of the more underappreciated movies of the past decade. Would've nominated Gosling for that over La La Land (and I loved his performance in that too) that year if I had to pick one.

I was recently thinking about what a crazy-good decade he just had. I gave him the win for Drive and also nominated him for Blue Valentine, The Place Beyond the Pines, and La La Land, but then he also had this, The Idea of March, Crazy Stupid Love, Blade Runner 2049, and First Man. Such a great, eclectic run of performances.

1 minute ago, Webslinger said:

I was recently thinking about what a crazy-good decade he just had. I gave him the win for Drive and also nominated him for Blue Valentine, The Place Beyond the Pines, and La La Land, but then he also had this, The Idea of March, Crazy Stupid Love, Blade Runner 2049, and First Man. Such a great, eclectic run of performances.

The Big Short too. Definitely gonna go down as one of the best acting runs of the decade (too bad his directorial debut was a panned bomb).

On 6/14/2020 at 5:06 PM, Joel M said:

The Lighthouse. source.gif

Loved A Cure for Wellness. Didn't care for The Lighthouse.

I watched My Own Private Idaho yesterday. Nice movie. My god, Keanu was gorgeous

Edited by Maggie

7 minutes ago, TMP said:

Over Jackman?

Jackman's performance in Bad Education was great but Mark Ruffalo brings something on another level here. Even if he was just playing one of the characters, I'd say he deserves the Emmy and he does a brilliant job at both of the characters (so much so that I sometimes found it hard to believe that both characters were being portrayed by one actor). One of the best performances of the year along with Delroy Lindo and Sidney Flanagan imo.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1

I finished Umbrella Academy Season 1...I liked it, but didn't love it, but I'll be there for season 2.  I loved all the actors in their roles, although I didn't love the sister to sister interactions (it seemed too whiplash-inducing, blunt, and see-sawy to me)...although I mad respect the ending.  I did not see that coming...although I have not read the comics, either.  It does make season 2 easier to plan and cast who they like (or bring back who they like:).

Now, to get Knives Out on my schedule (finally) and find my next series for the summer...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

just watched Passion (2012). didn't see it at the time because i recall all the critics were dunking on it but this shit fucking rules!!! the split screen ballet/murder sequence is god tier de palma shit. he goes so hard in the second half of this! had a great time.

just saw Moonlight, I've watched Beale Street Could Talk earlier this year which was very good, but Moonlight was on a whole different level, I could see why it won bp over lll, Barry Jenkins also deserved a bd win too for just how he characterized the camera to go with Chiron as we see him in all 3 stages of his life.

I didn't know Andre Holland was in this, so that was a nice surprise and it reminded me I need to finish The Eddy limited series.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Webslinger said:

Rewatched Moonlight earlier today (five movies deep on pride watch now).

If you haven't seen it before I would recommend the 2014 HBO adaptation of Larry Kramer's The Normal Heart (which is practically essential viewing this Pride since he passed away last month). It definitely shows its stage origins, but it taps into the horror and the anger of that dark period in history and is terrifically acted, especially from Matt Bomer (I told him he was moving in it when I met him that one time a few years ago and he also paid tribute to Kramer recently with this nice piece:  https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/matt-bomer-larry-kramer-anger-can-be-incredibly-motivating-1296705 )

And speaking of Mark Ruffalo HBO projects, I just got done with I Know This Much Is True. Definitely a tough watch overall, but there's a hopeful payoff that makes the pain worth it and Derek Cianfrance does a splendid job in the directing department. Ruffalo's twin performances are now the best of his career and I've always been a fan of his. It's been a fun trend recently seeing all these stars that everyone knows and loves from movies giving either career-best work or close to it not on the screen but in a miniseries (Michelle Williams last year, Blanchett and Ruffalo this year). The other actors are also very good (especially a surprisingly effective Rosie O'Donnell) but it's too much The Ruffalo Show for anyone else to have a shot at an Emmy nomination. Really good stuff. Hopefully it can overcome its overly dour nature and ride the wave of Ruffalo's likely awards glory into Limited Series.

• Like 1