charlie Jatinder

Name & Rate the Movies/TV You've Watched.

The Abyss-First time seeing it.  I liked it but I’ll rank it near the bottom for Cameron.   Though I watched the theatrical version and I hear the directors cut is better.

Also watched the new Looney Tunes shorts they were surprisingly enjoyable 

• Like 1

So, I finally finished season 1 of Jack Ryan.  I gotta say...Amazon has stepped up its online game during this last year.  While not better than Upload, this was still a very enjoyable, very tight action-packed show...and I thoroughly enjoyed it.  So much, that I'll probably do Season 2 before taking a shot at another Amazon show:).

My kids have gotten me to watch Ultimate Tag.  It's like a cross of America Ninja Warrior and American Gladiators...and it's awful, but it strangely works.  I honestly don't get why I can watch it with them, but I can.

And watched Stargirl again...and predicted the entire plot of the show in the 1st 2 minutes...BUT watching with my spouse and kids, who sit there chatting away, does make this enjoyable...but, ummm, this is not top flight television...although we do comment that the actress has obviously been contracted for her midriff and must always display it in every temperature and clothing item...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

Finally decided to watch Avatar TLA. I only got to watch a about a quarter of the show (a few episodes from season 1 and a few from season 2) during TV re-runs as a kid but I had never seen a single episode from the 3rd season until today. Perfect amount of comedy, action, and sincerity. Also like with other kids shows like Steven Universe, I loved it's non-toxic approach to a whole variety of topics. Although it's not really an emotional series, The Tale of Iroh section in the Tales of Ba Sing Se episode was a tearjerker.

Will be rewatching The Legend of Korra next. Unlike Avatar, I actually watched the entirety of Korra during its original run. Now that I have a much better understanding of the events of Avatar and also the world these shows are set in, I think I'll have a completely different experience rewatching Korra. Also finally know the details for some stuff I didn't know about when watching Korra for the first time (like the origins of metalbending and the stopping people from bending).

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1

Umbrellas of Cherbourg didn't work for me at all. Looks beautiful but the "singing for the entire movie" aspect didn't work for me and I didn't care about the characters. Might be the longest 1 hr 30 minutes long movie I've ever seen. Took me 4 tries to complete it.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1

Yeah I was left surprisingly cold by it too, though not quite that cold. Hope this doesn't discourage you from checking out The Young Girls of Rochefort though. That might be top 10 of all time for me.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Yeah I was left surprisingly cold by it too, though not quite that cold. Hope this doesn't discourage you from checking out The Young Girls of Rochefort though. That might be top 10 of all time for me.

I had really high expectations so that probably affected my thoughts on the film. I'll check out The Young Girls of Rochefort next. It's a traditional musical though right?

6 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I had really high expectations so that probably affected my thoughts on the film. I'll check out The Young Girls of Rochefort next. It's a traditional musical though right?

Yeah it's not sung-through

• Thanks 1

watched A Rainy Day in New York since it finally released in the UK today. the first ten minutes are brutal but it eventually won me over. pretty cute flick. tho Timmy C is probably the worst Allen surrogate performance since Branagh in Celebrity. I did find the Elle Fanning side of the film more engaging, she's pretty charming here. It is funny this is his first film centered on millennials (bordering on Gen Z) and none of them have any cultural references post-1970. Change those Jean Renoir references to Riverdale or Logan Paul or whatever.  

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

watched A Rainy Day in New York since it finally released in the UK today. the first ten minutes are brutal but it eventually won me over. pretty cute flick. tho Timmy C is probably the worst Allen surrogate performance since Branagh in Celebrity. I did find the Elle Fanning side of the film more engaging, she's pretty charming here. It is funny this is his first film centered on millennials (bordering on Gen Z) and none of them have any cultural references post-1970. Change those Jean Renoir references to Riverdale or Logan Paul or whatever.  

Saw that movie on the plane a few months ago and fell asleep 20 minutes in. Just painfully dull.

Watched The Assistant (finally catching up on some 2020 movies since hadn't seen any since oh... Sonic the Hedgehog back when cinemas were still open). I thought it was great really harrowing in a quiet and subtle way. hope Julia Garner especially gets a push during awards time she's fantastic.

• Like 2

I kicked off my annual June Pride Watch with The Favourite and V for Vendetta. Still love both, though I couldn’t help but note how if V for Vendetta were made the exact same way today, it would probably be accused of being too on-the-nose about the current state of affairs. Hoping to also get through the obvious staples (Brokeback, Moonlight, Carol, et al.) while also finally getting around to stuff like Paris Is Burning and But I’m a Cheerleader that I somehow haven’t seen yet.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

hope Julia Garner especially gets a push during awards time she's fantastic.

Do you watch Ozark? She's fantastic on that too. Feeling we're gonna be seeing her as an Oscar nominee this decade at least.

Week 9: 31 May - 05 June 2020

Movies

1. Mughal-e-Azam (1960): Outdated. One of the India's biggest theatrical blockbuster, considered timeless by many, but didn't worked for me. The film is story of fight between Mughal emperor Akbar and his son Salim for the servant-dancer Anarkali, as father don't want his son to marry a servant and so on as you would guess. The main problem at core was love story was very unconvincing, there is no chemistry whatsoever between the two lead and on top of that poor acting or say style especially of actresses, there was no emotional connection. A very lenient 4/10.
  2. Mother India (1957): Followed Mughal-e-Azam with another Indian big blockbuster. This one a social drama revolving around a poor woman, the challenges she face in first half of 20th century. A really good first half but an average 2nd one. Nargis and Raj Kumar performances were absolutely brilliant, especially in first half. A very lenient 7/10.
  3. Reservoir Dog: This was on watchlist for long, finally watched it. What can I say, it was terrific. 8/10.
  4. The Usual Suspects: Also this one. It took some time for me to get into it, climax paid off that patience. 7/10.
  5. Dil Dhadakne Do: So I suggested this film here as better Crazy Rich Asians, and decided to rewatch myself as well. Absolutely loved it, though climax could have been better. Watch it. 8/10.
  6. Asuran: An excellent first half followed by a routine flashback revenge stuff with annoying slow-mo fights. There are few very brutal and cold scenes but that's about it. A strict 6/10.

Movie of the Week: Dil Dhadakne Do.

• Like 1

The Bourne Identity 8/10

The Bourne Supremacy 7/10

The Bourne Ultimatum 8/10

Rewatched for the first time in 10 years. Deduct a star off each if you weren't obsessed with these movies in your early teens. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

The Bourne Identity 8/10

The Bourne Supremacy 7/10

The Bourne Ultimatum 8/10

Rewatched for the first time in 10 years. Deduct a star off each if you weren't obsessed with these movies in your early teens. 

Watched these movies last year. The first 3 are great, the Renner spin-off is boring, and I slept a quarter-way through the 4th film.

• Like 2