charlie Jatinder

Name & Rate the Movies/TV You've Watched.

2 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I thought it was one liked by adults 

I dunno. Hard for me to imagine adults hyping up Shrek 2 in the year 2020 for reasons that aren't primarily nostalgic. But maybe that's my problem.

18 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

I dunno. Hard for me to imagine adults hyping up Shrek 2 in the year 2020 for reasons that aren't primarily nostalgic. But maybe that's my problem.

I meant by the numbers it did. I honestly have never came across one Shrek reference except Prince charming & Puss gif till date. That makes me even more surprised on numbers it did, more admits in a weekend than any potter film except may be first one.

Edited by charlie Jatinder

Watched a lot of movies this week, so here we go.

7500 - Tense stuff, and a nice return to movies for JGL. What particularly impressed me about it, is how it managed to successfully convey the feeling of being trapped on an airplane, especially in a terrible stressful situation involving a terrorist attack. 

Ralph Breaks The Internet -  Rewatched it on Netflix. Still pretty good, and I enjoyed all the mocking Disney references, even if the impact was less this time.

The Car - An absolute idiotic if sometimes enjoyable Jaws ripoff. What impressed me about the film, aside from the fact that people knew how to get away from a vehicle that was coming straight for them really fast, was that such a relatively obscure movie with a bit of a cult-following, was available on Netflix.

Hollywood Shuffle - That was a lot of fun to revisit. Very low-budget, and clearly a bunch of sketches stitched together in a barely existing plot that attempts to tackle racial stereotypes in the film industry, but the actors really sell it. Even though he was before my generation, I miss when Robert Townsend was almost a thing.

The Skeleton Twins - Solid indie film about a bunch of messed-up emotionally distant siblings. I can't believe I missed it when it came to my arthouse theater back in 2014. Wiig and Hader are both terrific, and the movie kept surprising me in good ways, that I didn't expect it to. 

• Like 1

Movies 
Batman Forever- Tommy Lee Jones’s Two Face is rough. And Chris O’Donnell as Robin is pretty bad.  Still Jim Carrey as the Riddler is worth a watch.   Not to mention it has a killer soundtrack 

The Parent Trap 1961-Never saw this.  Actually enjoyed it.    Also teared up w bit.

TV

Sopranos season 5 and 6A.   5 was a terrific season.  6A however was probably its weakest season so far.   I hate to say it but the Vito was gay storyline didn’t work because he just wasn’t a compelling character

• Like 1

I watched Top Chef All-Stars. 

Spoiler

Aaaaaaaah!!! Why did Gregory get sick? 😭😭😭😭 I was screaming at the television when he got eliminated, but in all his exit interviews he said that it was like 10x worse than depicted on TV and he could barely walk. So sucks cause he and Melissa were CLEARLY the winners all season.  I was suppose to get an all queer, all here finale.  

Watching the Italian chefs say Brian’s food was soulless, and then watching him almost cry, was just... delicious.  He had really been coasting all season based off his name. And major Props to the editors, because for like five minutes I totally thought he was gonna get crowned the winner just because his brother had also won, and they wanted that storyline. I was super angry when Melissa’s dessert was going badly. So good job there.

Finale was fantastic. Melissa’s meal was gorgeous.  I also loved Stephanie’s “I am just happy to be here and gonna pull off literally the upset of the century until I fucked up that third course.

It’s totally my guilty pleasure. I really hope the show comes back after Covid. I think it could be a good boost for the restaurant industry, which badly needs as much love and attention as we can provide. 

I also watched

Padma’s Taste of The Nation. Great. Such an assessable and savvy way to talk about our country’s issues.  Plus, Padma. Only watched the first three. Plan to finish off the last six sometime soon.

(I also laugh in retrospect, cause Pheet Bharara is featured in the autobiographical one about Indians in NYC. And now he’s been everywhere in the pat two days. I was like, oh, Hello!)

and the last thing I am watching is RuPaul’s Drag Race All Stars. 

MY GAWD.

All Stars GIF by RuPaul's Drag Race

SHE IS BACK. 

and still proving she is the most underrated queen:

These bitches such professionals. They know the camera is ON and they are just cooking up DRAMA. But BOO on Alyssa jobbering the lip sync in episode two.  And SOOOOO PISSED they didn’t have RAVEN come out against Jujubee. (But hopefully she’ll win again and they’ll save that for later.)

Watched all of Love, Victor this weekend. It's definitely more Freeform-y than the movie was (you can easily see why Disney got cold feet about it being on +, surprised this wasn't set to premiere on Hulu from the beginning) but it's cute and finds the right balance between Love, Simon sequel (a number of cast members from the movie seem to appear in some form here) and spin-off and can be easily binged in just a few hours. I'll watch a second season if there is one.

Gonna watch the first episode of Perry Mason tomorrow.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 2

On 6/21/2020 at 7:02 AM, John Marston said:

I started watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer and is this show really supposed to be good? It feels like I’m watching episodes of Goosebumps 

Season 1 is rough but towards the end you can see the potential in the show. Season 2 is where it really takes off.

Finished my watching all of the Ghiblis (and a couple pre-Ghibli Miyazakis) over the weekend. In release order:

Lupin the Third: The Castle of Cagliostro- 3.5/5

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind- 4.5/5

Castle in the Sky- 4.5/5

My Neighbor Totoro- 4/5

Grave of the Fireflies- 3.5/5

Kiki's Delivery Service- 4/5

Only Yesterday- 3.5/5

Porco Rosso- 4.5/5

Ocean Waves- 3/5

Pom Poko- 3/5

Whisper of the Heart- 4.5/5

Princess Mononoke- 4.5/5

My Neighbors the Yamadas- 3/5

Spirited Away- 4/5

The Cat Returns- 4/5

Howl's Moving Castle- 4/5

Tales From Earthsea- 2.5/5

Ponyo- 3.5/5

The Secret World of Arrietty- 4/5

From Up on Poppy Hill- 3.5/5

The Wind Rises- 4.5/5

The Tale of the Princess Kaguya- 4/5

When Marnie was There- 4/5

• Like 3

i rewatched all the miyazakis last year i came away from it w/ this rank

1. Spirited Away

2. Porco Rosso

3. Ponyo

4. My Neighbour Totoro

5. Kiki's Delivery Service

6. Castle of Cagliostro

7. Castle in the Sky

8. Howl's Moving Castle

9. The Wind Rises

10. Princess Mononoke

11. Nausicaa

but of course Kaguya is better than all of them.

• Like 3

Figured id share some thoughts as well:

Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance - 6/10. One of Park-Chan wooks early films and kind of a little, deranged brother of Oldboy (2003), the film is strong thematically and the actors are great, but the film is kinda hard to follow and really depressing in a very random way. I liked it kinda but dont need to watch it again.

Ready or Not (2019) - 9/10, absolute fucking blast and im so happy i discovered this gem. My favourite horror comedy in ages, this is a black comedy done perfectly right.

Rewatch of Mad Max: Fury Road. Still 10/10, Masterpiece.

Bad Times at El Royale 2nd watch - 8/10, very entertaining movie with a messy 2nd act, but Chris Hemsworth makes it all worth it.

Rewatch of Once Upon a Time in Hollywood: Still an 8/10 for me, gets slightly slightly better every time. Pitt + DiCaprio is such a blast.

• Like 1

I watched It Happened One Night (1934), the new restoration they did recently for it makes it look really good for its time. I wish more old movies were digitally restored.

also saw a couple of films over the past week. Moonlight was the best

Capture.PNG

Edited by RealLyre

19 hours ago, Brainbug said:

Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance - 6/10. One of Park-Chan wooks early films and kind of a little, deranged brother of Oldboy (2003), the film is strong thematically and the actors are great, but the film is kinda hard to follow and really depressing in a very random way. I liked it kinda but dont need to watch it again.

Lol, I'm actually about to watch this in a few moments.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Lol, I'm actually about to watch this in a few moments.

Meh... This and I Saw the Devil suffer from the similar problems. It's honestly astonishing that he went from this to Oldboy within a year.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Haha 1

On 6/22/2020 at 3:58 PM, CoolioD1 said:

nicole kidman in batman forever... was and maybe still is my biggest movie crush of all time. hello.

Angelina Jolie in the first Tomb Raider launched me into puberty.