charlie Jatinder

Name & Rate the Movies/TV You've Watched.

7 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Meh... This and I Saw the Devil suffer from the similar problems. It's honestly astonishing that he went from this to Oldboy within a year.

Yeah, its like he went from average filmmaker to genius in 1 year. Though i think you can see many great ideas in the film, but they are just not very well executed. For me it felt like Park chan wook tried a lot in Mr. Vengeance and just didnt yet knew what worked and what didnt.

If thats what was necessary so that we can have Oldboy, though, then im not complaining too much :D

Watched Life Itself (the Dan Fogelman one) this evening with the girlfriend and....it wasn't bad? Don't know what the critics saw that resulted in a 14% RT score. Clearly the audience disagreed, given the 83% audience score. We enjoyed it.

6/10

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brainbug said:

Yeah, its like he went from average filmmaker to genius in 1 year. 

No I don’t think that’s how that works. Especially since Joint Security Area which predates this stuff is one of his best.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CoolioD1 said:

No I don’t think that’s how that works. Especially since Joint Security Area which predates this stuff is one of his best.

I agree i wrote that misleadingly i think. I meant that if you only look at the two films Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance and Oldboy (thus ignoring his earlier films) the difference in quality imo is relatively noticeable.

• Like 1

@Jake Gittes You were right. The Young Girls of Rocherfort is so much better than Umbrellas of Cherbourg. Just dazzling right from the start of the film. I did find the Sunday section to be kinda underwhelming (it just couldn't top that musical number earlier where all the different characters sing) and the murder subplot was a bit odd but other than that, I absolutely loved it and I was geniunely invested in the romance here unlike with Cherbourg.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

@Jake Gittes You were right. The Young Girls of Rocherfort is so much better than Umbrellas of Cherbourg. Just dazzling right from the start of the film. I did find the Sunday section to be kinda underwhelming (it just couldn't top that musical number earlier where all the different characters sing) and the murder subplot was a bit odd but other than that, I absolutely loved it and I was geniunely invested in the romance here unlike with Cherbourg.

Huzzah! I can see that, that part is one of my favorites (really it's the whole stretch from Gene Kelly's first appearance through to the big running-into-one-another-in-the-streets sequence) but in the end I love the movie's whole world too much to care about the final third not quite being the peak. As for the murder, I take it as wry commentary on

Spoiler

Maxence's single-minded obsession with "the perfect woman", not seriously saying he's gonna end up like the old man but still warning about what that stuff can lead to

- the film basks in being "movie-ish" in how it treats romance (love at first sight, fate, people being perfect for each other, etc) but that doesn't mean it's not aware of the potential darkness beneath all that. The murder is just the most extreme example of that really.

Edited by Jake Gittes
  • Like 2

The Young Girls of Rochefort has been on my watchlist for a while, I saw that the criterion channel have a digital restoration of it so i'll probably check it out if the restoration looks good enough as I have been meaning to start watching more french new wave films.

1 hour ago, Jake Gittes said:

As for the murder, I take it as wry commentary on

Reveal hidden contents

- the film basks in being "movie-ish" in how it treats romance (love at first sight, fate, people being perfect for each other, etc) but that doesn't mean it's not aware of the potential darkness beneath all that. The murder is just the most extreme example of that really.

That's a pretty interesting take and makes a lot of sense. It was just used in such a weird way that it was some sort of weird French joke. And Gene Kelly's first appearence was probably my 2nd or 3rd favourite scene in the movie. He was incredibly charismatic in this movie in general.

• Like 1

The past six months have been terrible and I think this single handedly cures all the ills of the universe. Oh, my god. Did they nail this parody. POETIC CINEMA. 

• Haha 1

Week 12

20-26 June 2020

The Week before Apocalypse

Movies

1. Shrek 2: Am no Shrek fan and that clearly didn't help this one as the film is just a one te watch flick. The best part of the film was Puss easily. 6/10.
  2. Gone With The Wind: A 4 hours epic and grand story of a woman through Riches, Civil War and Poverty. The film, though 80 years old, is still a technical marvel. Lead actress Leigh is one of the most beautiful actress I have ever seen. The pre-interval scene is goosebumps. A solid 8/10.

Movie of the Week: Gone With The Wind

TV Show

1. Love, Victor: A pretty good standalone show with quite okay characters but pales compared to Love, Simon. Anyhow the show is bit routine and cliche for many things, but not of them are too bad. Cimino is great. Will check out S02. 7/10.
  2. Dark S02 (re-watch): Absolutely loved it and all pumped up for S03 in 2 hours. E06 is one of my favourite TV episodes since GoT, Goodbye Michael and Better Call Saul couple of episodes. 9/10.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cap said:

The past six months have been terrible and I think this single handedly cures all the ills of the universe. Oh, my god. Did they nail this parody. POETIC CINEMA. 

I assume there is a sense of great jealousy sweeping across America at the fact Australia is in Eurovision and the US isn’t. 

The funniest joke is the fact the U.K. are hosts. 

I went to see two movies in theaters today.

The first was

cd639f4f5dbb0fed26af008c505bfe71.jpg

Ramen Shop, a cute and sweet little Singapure movie that is an effective crowd pleasing winner with a great cast, amazing looking food and a touching story.

The second was

Pixar's+Onward.gif

The most recent Pixar movie might not be one of their best, but it is a fun adventure with a very emotional moment at the end that made me tear up a bit. 

Am I the only one going to theaters here?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CJohn said:

I went to see two movies in theaters today.

The first was

cd639f4f5dbb0fed26af008c505bfe71.jpg

Ramen Shop, a cute and sweet little Singapure movie that is an effective crowd pleasing winner with a great cast, amazing looking food and a touching story.

The second was

Pixar's+Onward.gif

The most recent Pixar movie might not be one of their best, but it is a fun adventure with a very emotional moment at the end that made me tear up a bit. 

Am I the only one going to theaters here?

Mine don't open til July 10 or later (they can open July 1, but with no product and with uncertainty if the gov will still say yes next week, even though we are golden, they are all holding for a slightly later date)...right now, my only option is a pop up drive in which has been sold out for weeks...