Neo

The Flash | June 16 2023 | Ezra Miller, Michael Keaton | We’re stoping the count at a Nice 69% RT (it’s 72% For Real) | Please Remember that Your Enjoyment Of The Film is Not Based On Others Opinions And To Be Nice To Each Other

I don't see Blue Beetle making much more than Shazam 2 tbh, think the only thing that can save it now is the rather empty schedule surrounding it. With this looking increasingly likely to disappoint I guess it really is up to Gerwig to save WB's summer (studio's not having a great year so far with Evil Dead Rise being their only hit as of early June).

16 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I don't see Blue Beetle making much more than Shazam 2 tbh, think the only thing that can save it now is the rather empty schedule surrounding it. With this looking increasingly likely to disappoint I guess it really is up to Gerwig to save WB's summer (studio's not having a great year so far with Evil Dead Rise being their only hit as of early June).

Unless the reviews are absolutely awful like Shazam 2s were I don't see it doing even close to that bad.

3 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Unless the reviews are absolutely awful like Shazam 2s were I don't see it doing even close to that bad.

I dunno. On the one hand, the lack of anything else playing should help it, on the other...it looks like a Disney+ show (obviously it's DC, but that trailer screams more Ms Marvel than Superman to me in terms of its cinematic quality). To be clear, this is no judgement on the actual quality of the movie - it could be brilliant. But it just screams "streaming". They need a new, bigger and better trailer ASAP.

Just now, reddevil19 said:

(obviously it's DC, but that trailer screams more Ms Marvel than Superman to me in terms of its cinematic quality)

If it gets Ms Marvel reviews then it'll be the best reviewed DC project in history, so that wouldn't be a bad thing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SpiderByte said:

If it gets Ms Marvel reviews then it'll be the best reviewed DC project in history, so that wouldn't be a bad thing.

If we're counting TV shows, then Ms Marvel reviews still wouldn't get it there since Watchmen and the Harley Quinn animated show both have higher scores

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Did you read my whole post? It's nothing to do with the actual quality, but the fact that it looks cheap and small scale.

11 minutes ago, TMP said:

If we're counting TV shows, then Ms Marvel reviews still wouldn't get it there since Watchmen and the Harley Quinn animated show both have higher scores

Because the last two seasons of Harley Quinn had 25 reviews each vs Ms Marvels 300+. Watchmen has a higher review average but lower RT score.

I think it's a combination of factors:

1. Some of the hype has leveled off from its Cinemacon premiere to now. 

2. Ezra Miller is a Schrodinger's Cat. Either the general public doesn't know about the star's antics and it doesn't hurt the movie. But it doesn't help among those who do know about the controversy. 

3. That last point aside, this version of the Flash isn't much of a draw. The character last appeared in a panned team up movie where he was a supporting character. They've mainly been selling this on Keaton returning as Batman, which itself isn't a guarantee outside of older demographics. 

4. Even with favorable reviews, it's still saddled with the baggage of the DCEU and general audience apathy to the DC brand. Something I fear will continue for some time until Gunn has regained audience goodwill.

Edited by JWR
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

Take the pessimistic predictions with a grain of salt. I remember when the tracking thread was pointing out less than $20m for Shazam 2's opening weekend, and under $100m for Guardians 3. At the end of the day, The Flash is a comic book movie with many recognizeable characters in it, from movies that did very well at the box office. It will have better walk-ups and better legs than it's required for it to be at the low-end of projections. I understand why people will entertain the possibility of this doing the worst case scenario but I don't think that's a very likely scenario, simply because to me this doesn't seem like a movie everyone will ignore, it has some appeal.

I mean...this is why you'd expect walkups to be low for it. Legs can be high, sure. 

Also this sub-100 for Guardians thing needs to be corrected, many in the tracking thread were never that low and I don't think anyone was that low this late in the run. Shazam 2 indeed looked very bad, but it had reviews release very late which messed with thing. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

The fact that the latest Transformers could potentially end up making more money than this worldwide is crazy.

You Got It Finger Guns GIF by Nickelodeon

Transformers is big in China and most parts of Asia though. An advantage Flash won't have.

13 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

The fact that the latest Transformers could potentially end up making more money than this worldwide is crazy.

You Got It Finger Guns GIF by Nickelodeon

Says a lot about just how badly damaged the DC brand is - their floor is seriously low, whereas Transformers' rock bottom still seems to be 400+ WW