Neo

The Flash | June 16 2023 | Ezra Miller, Michael Keaton | We’re stoping the count at a Nice 69% RT (it’s 72% For Real) | Please Remember that Your Enjoyment Of The Film is Not Based On Others Opinions And To Be Nice To Each Other

On 8/26/2022 at 7:31 PM, Macleod said:

It would be nice if Miller actually cared about preserving and releasing the movie because of all the hard work that hundreds of crew members I'm sure put into it, but THR's exclusive here doesn't really seem to even make that case about Miller's reasoning in their wording.  It seems to be all about self-preservation.  Disappointing.  But the movie will be released regardless.  And so should BATGIRL, in one form or another.  

I think no way Warners wants Miller to be involved in the marketing of this.

Twitter continues to dramatically overstate how much the general public cares about Ezra Miller (aka nobody cares). If Ez stays out of trouble between now and the film release - or if Ez actually does some reputation improving things - this movie will be unaffected. 

"OMG TWITTER IS UPSET WITH EZRA MILLER, BETTER CANCEL THE RELEASE OF A SUPPOSEDLY INCREDIBLE $300M FRANCHISE TENTPOLE!"

Stupidity. 

Edited by excel1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

The house in Vermont contains an altar that’s home to bullets, weed, sage, and Flash figurines. Miller recently demanded that Susan Sarandon come pay tribute to their altar because she didn’t invite them to a dinner party.

How did Susan Sarandon end up beefing with Ezra Miller, Hillary Clinton, and Grace from Will and Grace?

4 hours ago, excel1 said:

Twitter continues to dramatically overstate how much the general public cares about Ezra Miller (aka nobody cares). If Ez stays out of trouble between now and the film release - or if Ez actually does some reputation improving things - this movie will be unaffected. 

"OMG TWITTER IS UPSET WITH EZRA MILLER, BETTER CANCEL THE RELEASE OF A SUPPOSEDLY INCREDIBLE $300M FRANCHISE TENTPOLE!"

Stupidity. 

You know, I have to admit, I am... puzzled by all the whistling past the graveyard in regards to this film.

Twitter Is indeed, Not Real Life.  But Bad Buzz is still Bad Buzz.  The GA might not be able to point to a specific thing, but that this film has a cloud of negativity around it is pretty undeniable.  Case in point, FB3.  Lots of things sunk FB3, including a violent rejection of FB2.  But if one is gonna seriously try to tell me that all of the negativity surrounding J.K. Rowling wasn't at least a factor, I'll... I'll just say I disagree.

I've talked about this before, so I'll just sum up my thoughts that the GA can pick up on an unhappy fanbase more than we sometimes think. They might not know exactly why fans are unhappy, but I do think they can pick up on General Malaise and Discontent. 

At the very least, a fanbase which is divided (or worse fighting among itself) on social media is a fanbase that isn't generating positive hype for the GA to pick up on.  It's an issue of Opportunity Cost, really.  Energy which could be spent driving up attention for this film is instead being used to either put out fires or just ignoring the film altogether.

More generally, are we as a board supposed to ignore buzz now?  Coz, gotta tell ya, that doesn't seem like a prudent thing to do when it comes to forecasting a film's box office potential.

• Like 1

Lot of this article seems like recycled stuff we already knew, with a few extra details. I guess Ezra is good for getting clicks now to sites so I understand why they keep digging. While I think Ezra needs plenty of help I truly believe we’ll never know the real truths out of any of this cause no one will be allowed to talk about it anymore.

As long as Ezra stays out of the spotlight till the movie releases with nothing new coming up the movie should be fine. Articles like these will continue to come out and be forgotten in a few days. 

As I’ll continue say, I hope Ezra can get the help they need, I hope they’re truly serious about getting that help.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Porthos said:

More generally, are we as a board supposed to ignore buzz now?  Coz, gotta tell ya, that doesn't seem like a prudent thing to do when it comes to forecasting a film's box office potential.

Well, but as the kids say... "to be fair"... There's not even really a proper trailer/posters/etc. yet for this movie, so there's kind of a vacant cloud area where all this stuff can swirl around without any counterpoint other than "We hear test-screenings have gone GREAT!" ...which only about 25% of any existing General Audience who reads the internet would even hear about or come across.

Once a formal Trailer debuts... *then* we'll know if the material buzz itself can hold up...  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Macleod said:

Well, but as the kids say... "to be fair"... There's not even really a proper trailer/posters/etc. yet for this movie, so there's kind of a vacant cloud area where all this stuff can swirl around without any counterpoint other than "We hear test-screenings have gone GREAT!" ...which only about 25% of any existing General Audience who reads the internet would even hear about or come across.

Once a formal Trailer debuts... *then* we'll know if the material buzz itself can hold up...  

But, also to be fair, that's kinda my overall point.  With DC promotion on the back burner (thanks in no small part to Ezra Miller's own actions — but not helped by WB's overall turmoil), all we gots is the viral test screening buzz versus the much more prevalent Trades talking about all of the problems the film is facing.

Add in the real troubled history of this film dating back literally years, and well...

Yes, burying the film is premature. And have other films overcome worse things against them?  Sure.  Well, probably.  But right now I think the overall buzz surrounding this film is... "not great" and it's foolish to ignore it or claim definitively it isn't going to have any effect at all.  Is possible that the PR rollout/promotion for the film is good enough to overcome all the problems, sure.  But they're still problems to be overcome (and not small ones, IMO).

(I sense we are more or less agreeing with each other, but I wanted to further clarify my points)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

Yes, burying the film is premature. And have other films overcome worse things against them?  Sure.  Well, probably. 

Ya know, @Porthos, it's hard for me to think of any other film that has overcome - or even had to deal with- something as comically bad as the lead actor basically going berserk halfway through post, so right away that presents us with a real dilemma: there simply is no historical precedent. My own guess is that WB will come up with a series of interviews with influencers, etc. where Miller does his mea culpas, and the American public, being a forgiving- or at least, forgetful- sort, will accept them and move on. But who knows? It really is uncharted territory.

The film clearly has headwinds against it, and as you pointed out, it would be foolish to ignore them when talking about B.O. predictions, but if it's as good as we've been led to believe, I think that will ultimately be its salvation. We'll see. 🤞

P.S. really curious if anybody can think of other films that had to deal with off screen drama as extensive as this before they came out. (DWD feels more like tabloid gossip than anything that would keep execs up at night.) The only situation I can think of where a finished film would have become instant Kryptonite was whatever Fatty Arbuckle had in the can before his career ended overnight in a drunken debauchery, and that was 100 years ago.

Edited by A Star is Delayed
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, A Star is Delayed said:

P.S. really curious if anybody can think of other films that had to deal with off screen drama as extensive as this before they came out.

Google "Titanic". Or "Jaws". Or "The Dark Knight". Though it was a different kind of drama.

Clearly The Flash will be similar.

Edited by excel1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1