Eric the IF

TENET Weekend Thread | 20.2M opening with previews and Canada | RIP Movies 1888-2020

1 minute ago, lorddemaxus said:

The theory that this wasn't going to perform well in normal times is not a good one. As @MrPink said, it's been doing well in most countries so far (on-par with or surpassing Dunkirk in almost all of them). It's clearly being affected by COVID-19 in the US.

On par with Dunkirk is nothing to brag about. The movie cost twice as much to produce. 

4 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

On par with Dunkirk is nothing to brag about. The movie cost twice as much to produce. 

On par with Dunkirk when the boxoffice still hasn't recovered is absolutely something to brag about though. It means under normal conditions, the movie would've probably surpassed it in those countries too. And grossing Dunkirk numbers would put this film in break-even range.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, lorddemaxus said:

On par with Dunkirk when things the boxoffice still hasn't recovered is absolutely something to brag about though. It means under normal conditions, the movie would've probably surpassed it in those countries too. And grossing Dunkirk numbers would put this film in break-even range.

Those are fair points. 

• Like 1

I was pretty high on Tenet admittedly but I also didn't expect Nolan to create something so apparently confusing and impossible to understand dialogue wise. So that didn't help, thanks Chris for making me look like a dummy.

• Sad 2

It's also the fact that people aren't that excited about movies in this period. Sure, WW84 would have made more, but i feel the marketing department has a lot to work in the next months/years to bring people back to theaters

Edited by Maggie

28 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Truthfully feel this would have barely hit $50m opening weekend under normal summer conditions anyway. The marketing has been downright awful - both quality and quantity. Nolan made a movie so complex that it basically could not be advertised. 

We'll see how legs are. 

Not like you to write a negative post about Tenet! 

nothing wrong with the marketing. The pandemic and the US’s struggle to get it to any kind of state where enough people feel safe to return to cinemas is what this is all about - loud and clear.  Overseas results will tell you what might have happened had the US opened when it was safer. 

Any posting about it being the movie’s fault are pretty pathetic in my eyes. Like I said, loud and clear that you can’t open a blockbuster movie in America in the current climate.  Rest of the world? Absolutely as it stands. 

seeing as there’s zero sign of anything changing anytime soon, I still think the movies that are ready to go should just release overseas.  This ‘wait until next summer’ rhetoric is delusional in my opinion.  Who says things will be any different six months from now in the states? We’ve winter to come yet! 

“Oh but there’s a vaccine coming that’s going to fix everything”. Unproven. Nobody knows that. What’s the point in the studios waiting for something that might not happen until well into next year and beyond? 

21 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

I’m going with a theory that they knew it was not going to be a great box office performance even in normal times. So they released it during the pandemic to hide behind the obvious issues related to movie theaters right now. 

Meanwhile, it will be interesting to see what happens to budgets moving forward. If it’s not a franchise film, studios might want to really cut down on their spending. 

so rather than make more money they chose to make less on purpose? Right. 

6 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I'm hearing people say that WB should move WW 1984 to December because of this while I feel like the lesson WB (and the other studios too) should learn from this is not to release any of their big movies this year.

Yep, I would guess Wonder Woman moves to next summer. 

Perhaps WB should have released WW84 instead of Tenet.

In a world ravaged by a virus, I think people would be more excited to see a comic book movie rather than a movie that you have to watch twice or more times in order to fully get it...

Tenet isn't the 'WOW, I have to watch this one" movie that would bring back audiences ( at least domestic ) to the theaters. I think a traditional release like WW84 could have helped more, but that's just my opinion.

It's also irrelevant discussing now how much Tenet would have / should have / could have made in a "normal" world. If anything, the B CinemaScore is a clue that the movie wouldn't be well reviewed as Nolan's previous ones. 

• Like 1

Man this hurts to see, no matter what you thought about the film I think everyone was hoping for some solid numbers to show the North American market is getting back on track but it's clearly not time for it.

It's doing fairly decent numbers internationally so I think the cause is mostly down to the situation in America right now. 

I expect a lot of announcements this coming week of blockbusters being pushed back. 

Just now, FilmFincher said:

Man this hurts to see, no matter what you thought about the film I think everyone was hoping for some solid numbers to show the North American market is getting back on track but it's clearly not time for it.

It's doing fairly decent numbers internationally so I think the cause is mostly down to the situation in America right now. 

I expect a lot of announcements this coming week of blockbusters being pushed back. 

Meanwhile I'm rubbing my hands because the theaters will be so dead in a couple weeks I could have an IMAX showing to myself.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • ...wtf 1

5 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

You think they believed they would make the same money as normal times? Really??? I have ocean-front property for sale in Arizona if you believe this. 

that’s not what I said. 

you said instead of delaying they carried on so they could hide behind covid.  By that measure you’re saying that they chose to make less money than releasing it without Covid.