Eric Duncan

TENET Weekend Thread | 20.2M opening with previews and Canada | RIP Movies 1888-2020

4 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Well, they get a way bigger slice of that pie and they have total control over it, so that’s semi-understandable. They can make the same profits with less overhead and lower grosses. But yeah, in the grand scheme of things it’s lame because a healthy theatrical ecosystem helps everyone. Unfortunately, the big studios got way too greedy with frontloading and super-wide release patterns and that was the beginning of the end. 

I don’t see a home media scenario that would be as profitable for something like Avengers Endgame compared to how that film performed in theaters. It’s very strange that studios seem to want a the end of theaters. 

• Like 1

Studios are fool. A big movie like Avengers will never perform on home as well as theaters. Home media offers so many movies. Things will become diluted. People will have too many alternatives.  You can't build a big brand like Marvel/Avengers with so many alternatives. Fools!

Edited by Maggie
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

Crazy Rich Asians made it by the skin of it’s teeth, but it’s helped by a Wednesday release.

Yeah, that doesn’t count. I like to take the average of 5-day and 3-day to come up with an idea of what these movies would do in a normal 3-day opening. Crazy Rich Asians would be around a 5.6 to 5.7 multi in this scenario. Very strong regardless. 

A Facebook group I’m in for my favorite podcast had a theater manager post about “Tenet”. He said they only had 38 customers the entire day at the theater yesterday, and “Tenet” did 20 people over 17 showtimes. Each showing of “Tenet” averaged 1.17 customers.

Edited by Jason Bacon
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 2
  • ...wtf 1

3 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

A 20M weekend would look good, but this is like a 10-12M weekend. The rest is from pre-weekend 4 days in US and 9 days in Canada.

so if Tenet makes 10-12M next weekend it could be technically close to a flat drop? The New Mutants had a normal 59% drop this weekend and that movie opened less.

3 minutes ago, Eric #RIPChadwick said:

This conversation has passed, but I didn’t have time to talk about this in-depth because I’m at work. But anyways...

Using Disney+’s Trending as a way to measure Milan’s success or failure is a load of malarkey.

100% agree.

The official football league table is a much better measurement.

WB and other studios will probably wait to see what Tenet's numbers are next weekend before making any rescheduling decisions. If the tentpoles start moving again a lot of theaters currently open will likely announce they're going back to being closed. No use keeping the lights on if no one's showing up to see anything.

• Like 7

It's always risky releasing a 200 million budget movie right now...I think smaller budgeted flicks could take the blockbusters places until things get better.

I mean, the new Candyman movie won't need to make 500 million worldwide to be profitable. Neither Saint Maud. Studios need to take that into account.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Jason Bacon said:

A Facebook group I’m in for my favorite podcast had a theater manager post about “Tenet”. He said they only had 38 customers the entire day at the theater yesterday, and “Tenet” did 20 people over 17 showtimes. Each showing of “Tenet” averaged 1.17 customers.

Paging @Ethan Hunt

37 minutes ago, Jason Bacon said:

That's crazy, here each time I go to look at tickets, almost every showing is sold out!

38 minutes ago, Jason Bacon said:

I might actually go to watch the film if I’m the only person in the screening...

• Like 2

Did WB really ban drive-ins from showing Tenet if it wasn't also showing in regular cinemas in that area? I know that was probably a Nolan directive, but that lost them a good chunk of the opening weekend BO based on how well Unhinged did in drive-ins. The only hope for this movie's domestic run is that it has some old school blockbuster legs and makes it to $120m+. It would actually be fun to follow a run like that since it's been so long.

Edited by Darth Homer