Eric Duncan

TENET Weekend Thread | 20.2M opening with previews and Canada | RIP Movies 1888-2020

Just now, wildphantom said:

I think so too. 

The trades and WB are really trying to spin this with the fact NY/LA aren’t open yet etc. But with all those days of previews and it being on every screen going to make up for the reduced capacity - I don’t know...it’s lower than any of us anticipated.  Especially as it opened bigger than anticipated in Europe last weekend. 

of course they’re going to try and spin it. They need to be seen to be optimistic right now. Yet behind closed doors they’ll be wondering what to do next. 

If there are a bunch of delays announced in the next few days (especially Wonder Woman), we have our answer on what they really think. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tree said:

There IS a vaccine coming. That is a fact. We just don't know for sure how soon.

Sure. Doesn’t mean it will work 100% and everybody have had it by the time the marketing kicks in for summer 2021 does it? 

we have political spin saying it’s coming before the election (yeah right!)

it’s not coming this year, let’s be honest. Nobody realistically believes any of us will be able to get it within the next six months.  

I’m just saying the studios can’t keep banking on next summer everything being back to normal. They’ve got theaters to support and keep in business before we even get to next summer. How are they meant to keep functioning until then without movies to show?

2 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

They’ve got theaters to support and keep in business before we even get to next summer. How are they meant to keep functioning until then without movies to show?

This. 

If you don’t send films to support the cinemas now, good luck breaking even with your 2021 releases when so many of them will be forced to close. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

I think so too. 

The trades and WB are really trying to spin this with the fact NY/LA aren’t open yet etc.

Shoutout to Deadline for their “Tenet is the most pre-ordered movie in history” nonsense they pulled last week.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Sure. Doesn’t mean it will work 100% and everybody have had it by the time the marketing kicks in for summer 2021 does it? 

it’s not coming this year, let’s be honest. Nobody realistically believes any of us will be able to get it within the next six months.  

I’m just saying the studios can’t keep banking on next summer everything being back to normal. They’ve got theaters to support and keep in business before we even get to next summer. How are they meant to keep functioning until then without movies to show?

You only really get one opportunity to release your movie in the cinema.

Think of it from Disney perspective say Black Widow which allegedly is releasing in november.

- Release Black Widow now, and earn $200 million.

- Hold back on releasing Black Widow. Possibly can release it next year. Worst case scenario the year after that. Earn $500 million.

It does not cost them anything to hold Black Widow back. Disney is not strapped for cash, they do not need to just dump it to gain a few bucks. They have all sorts of other things bringing in money and they are not desperate.

From a business perspective, if you are confident that you will profit from delaying the movie - then why would you not delay the movie?

Your point about theaters being necessary - it's a fair point - but, do you think studios consider it their own responsibility to keep theaters afloar? I doubt it. They've been fucking over the theaters for years. The risk of losing some theaters over the next year is outweighed by the benefits of delaying all your major releases.

Also, even if cinemas go bust... if there is still a demand for theaters, then in 1 year, or 2 years or whatever, theaters will exist. If they have closed down and gone bust, but in 2 years there is demand for cinemas, then new companies will form and open cinemas. Simply how the market works. Obviously for each individual business that goes bust, that is sad and unfortunate; but in the long term health of the market it doesn't really make a difference. Old company goes bust, new company gets created. As long as the demand is still there.

Edited by tree

15 minutes ago, VanillaSkies said:

Yes, this is what the real problem is. 

The fact of the matter is that Tenet probably made 10-12 million over the Fri/Sat/Sun period this weekend.
That is what is so concerning here.

This can't even double New Mutant first weekend, a critically panned movie with less theater number. Another issue is Nolan's film tend to IMAX-skewed. And most of the IMAX screen are in NY and CA.

I strongly hope WW84 moves, this will do good for both WW84 and tenet's leg, The current market simply can't accommodate two tentpole.   

Domestic market is very important for Tenet, this is where it can get 63% box office cut. 

Edited by titanic2187
  • ...wtf 1

11 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

tbh, the studios don’t have any particular interest in supporting theaters, they’ve made that very clear (rhetoric to the contrary aside).

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

i think the box office attendance in South Korea, Japan, China & Europe have spoiled us for the past few weeks. so the domestic market not performing anywhere close to these in terms of a return to normalcy can only be disappointing. although it's understandable with how the pandemic have been going on in the us the last couple of months.

it seems like Tenet isn't going to make anything on Monday :ph34r:

Capture.PNG

9 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

tbh, the studios don’t have any particular interest in supporting theaters, they’ve made that very clear (rhetoric to the contrary aside).

Doesn't fucking matter, the theater companies will go bankrupt, new owners will take over the leases on the theaters themselves, plus or minus a few hundred locations.

:(

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

That’s true. Strange thing with the studio agenda to put everything on home video ASAP:  do they think the home media market is going to deliver the same money they have been making from theaters? It’s a strange agenda. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

That’s true. Strange thing with the studio agenda to put everything on home video ASAP:  do they think the home media market is going to deliver the same money they have been making from theaters? It’s a strange agenda. 

Well, they get a way bigger slice of that pie and they have total control over it, so that’s semi-understandable. They can make the same profits with less overhead and lower grosses. But yeah, in the grand scheme of things it’s lame because a healthy theatrical ecosystem helps everyone. Unfortunately, the big studios got way too greedy with frontloading and super-wide release patterns and that was the beginning of the end. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 8/18/2020 at 9:29 AM, Arendelle Legion said:

I’ll throw my hat in the ring with 80 DOM, 250 OS, but we’re really flying blind here.

Considering when I made it I am prettty, prettttty, pretty happy with this prediction.   

• Like 4

Obviously there is a loooooooooooot of sui generis uncertainty here, and I think it has some (small) chance to mega-leg past a bit past 100, but I am mystified more than ever by the 150-300 DOM range from BOP. If you wanted to hammer home huge uncertainty numerically, why not 50-200 or something?

Edited by Arendelle Legion