Eric Duncan

TENET Weekend Thread | 20.2M opening with previews and Canada | RIP Movies 1888-2020

5 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

well you cannot say that like a definitive statement or something, you don't know that, neither do i or anyone here

but the movie indeed need like 3 days to reach #1, if it's just something that they control like Netflix, they would put in the top on friday like Netflix do, it doesn't make much sense

we can only hope Disney release official numbers someday

Actual streaming data is a goldmine for each of these streaming services, and it’s a powerful weapon to use against creatives (ie, it’s hard to demand a bigger paycheck when you don’t have a way of proving your movie was a huge hit). These companies regret that they ever published box-office data in the first place, and they will hold onto the secrecy of streaming as long as they possibly can. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

That's what I meant. Its entirely in their hand. Netflix do this very often. They put the shows in trending despite them being not that hot so that people can go, "well see its trending".

I think we may perhaps never get numbers. Disney is best there when it comes to reporting, so I hope they do but I am not that confident.

If Mulan works on D+, guess we will be seeing something like Soul on D+.

Though Disney was dumb to not realease it theatrical outside US. 

they really should released it overseas this weekend and drop it later on D+ for US consumers

D+ numbers, despite being good or bad, won't be enough to cover $ 300M investment 

i think they can move Soul to february, it have more chances to have a decent gross and still win the inevitable oscar for animated feature, but then Raya needs to move too, calendars next year will be a mess.

21 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Actual streaming data is a goldmine for each of these streaming services, and it’s a powerful weapon to use against creatives (ie, it’s hard to demand a bigger paycheck when you don’t have a way of proving your movie was a huge hit). These companies regret that they ever published box-office data in the first place, and they will hold onto the secrecy of streaming as long as they possibly can. 

sadly, i think you're right

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Even if they don’t give numbers, I should be able to have a rough idea of how Mulan did as it’ll show up in their studio revenue, I imagine last quarter to this quarter will be flat/slightly down as TNM and Onward haven’t exactly lit the world on fire, so the difference between the two in revenue will have been largely driven by Mulan. 

• ...wtf 1

Just now, TLK said:

Looks like that both Disney and WB are going to lose money on their blockbusters. Even if Disney made $50-60 million from Mulan's VOD , that's not good enough for a movie like this.

If both failed, I'd love to be a fly on the wall in those meetings right now within the studios.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Nielsen just recently began tallying views, albeit minutes watched, for Netflix and Amazon shows. Obviously their foray is in TV, but I would think there can be a third-party source that can look at movie or original viewership if there was interest, right?

22 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Anecdotal of course, and obviously this isn't a perfect indication of success, but I feel like there's been a fair amount of discussion of Mulan on my Twitter feed, albeit most of it leaning negative. Certainly has felt like it's been a bit more discussion there than Tenet at this point of time, though maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places.

1 minute ago, Eric #RIPChadwick said:

Nielsen just recently began tallying views, albeit minutes watched, for Netflix and Amazon shows. Obviously their foray is in TV, but I would think there can be a third-party source that can look at movie or original viewership if there was interest, right?

Anecdotal of course, and obviously this isn't a perfect indication of success, but I feel like there's been a fair amount of discussion of Mulan on my Twitter feed, albeit most of it leaning negative. Certainly has felt like it's been a bit more discussion there than Tenet at this point of time, though maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places.

Beneficial for whom, though? Certainly not from Amazon/Netflix/Disney/etc’s perspective. 

5 minutes ago, Eric #RIPChadwick said:

I am really interested in knowing how many copies of Mulan were pirated this weekend. Unlike the number of purchases, that is actually a figure we can obtain from the main piracy websites. My guess would be at least 3x times the legal purchases will be pirated streams, without including China.

• Like 2