Eric Duncan

TENET Weekend Thread | 20.2M opening with previews and Canada | RIP Movies 1888-2020

34 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

I’ve been thinking for a while that it was never actually going to open in October. It doesn’t fit with WB’s plan to give Tenet ample room for legs if they release their next big movie four weeks later, and opening it then would give it at most 2 weeks of play in CA/NY (if they even open anytime soon). I’d bet on them officially delaying it to Thanksgiving or Christmas in  a week or so, they’d probably have done it already but they won’t want to feed the narrative that the underwhelming Tenet OW numbers forced them to do it.

WW84 as a placeholder to ensure TENET had all the screens would be a bold move.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

18 minutes ago, tree said:

They are not going to get together and pay $30 to watch it at one of their houses.

Marvel-DC/Star Wars they would, Mulan during a pandemie you are probably right, but a group of young woman excited for this could disagree with that impression.

• ...wtf 2

3 hours ago, Barnack said:

Marvel-DC/Star Wars they would, Mulan during a pandemie you are probably right, but a group of young woman excited for this could disagree with that impression.

I'm going to have to disagree. Last year I went with 6 friends to watch Avengers Endgame on opening weekend. It was great.

If Endgame had released on Disney+ for $30... honestly I think we would all have pirate watched it separately.

I cannot even imagine going round my friends house to watch a movie.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, tree said:

all have pirate watched it separately.

It does change the situation so much that you could be right (I had people doing it for UFC/Wrestling PPV in mind, but those you want them live right away and pirated feed tend to be unreliable and low quality, that not the same for a movie).

Star Wars / Marvel would still have premiere party for people that do want to wait hours and to watch it right away in high Q, a lot of people watched Game of Thrones together after all on a legal HBO feed someone had/shared experience instead of pirating it couple of hours later and watching it alone.

I think Disney might have simply priced Mulan too high....the  psychooigical resistence to paying 30 bucks for a Streaming movie must have been a huge factor in how it performed.

Yes, I now...for a family of four 30 bucks is less then they would have spent  spent on theater tickets but tstill, you have a huge  mental barrier for many people.

• Like 2

Someone made a good point here in the thread (CJohn?). They should start with smaller movies to get people accustomed to the movie theater again. People need to get back in the routine of going to the movies. It's a habit that has been broken. It will take a while to get people back to their usual routine

11 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Someone made a good point here in the thread (CJohn?). They should start with smaller movies to get people accustomed to the movie theater again. People need to get back in the routine of going to the movies. It's a habit that has been broken. It will take a while to get people back to their usual routine

I would love to see that happen, but I think the huge blockbuster mentality is simply too instilled in Studio Managment to be gotten over any time soon,ant they think huge blockbusters are the way to get audiences back.

Just now, HouseOfTheSun said:

...ok...what?

Goodwill in the film industry has a short life span. If Warners thinks the theater chains are going to give them any  breaks on the release contreacts, they are in for a rude awakening.

22 minutes ago, Maggie said:

The only problem is the studios got out of the smaller movie game a few years ago. They don’t make ‘em anymore. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

The money WB will lose now on Tenet they will gain later, with how this release strengthened their relationship with theaters.

With WB taking such a high percentage of Tenets ticket sales I would say theatres would actually be pretty pissed at how little money they’ve made in the last few days. 

• ...wtf 1

Just now, Plain Old Tele said:

The only problem is the studios got out of the smaller movie game a few years ago. They don’t make ‘em anymore. 

Looking at this (planned release):

https://web.archive.org/web/20200225033906/https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_American_films_of_2020

They still do in some genre, horror notably:

A Quiet place 2

Candyman

Purge 5

Woman in the window

Irresistible

King of staten Island

Ghostbuster

Bob Burger

Free guy

I Still Believe

Infinite Man

Hitman Wife Bodyguards

Monster Hunter

Conjuring

In the first 3 for example, could have been a perfect mix of build in appeal (from the director or franchise) and not needing to do over 100M to be a nice success to build habit back/test the water.

That said they could have speculated that horror wasn't a good idea (and many in the rest of that list could have got a disrupted post production and not ready).

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

There were a few this year (barnack listed some above), but they sold them to streaming 😕

Edited by Maggie