CloneWars

12/3/2020 The Day BO Died. RIP Movie Theaters

Well, AT&T did it. They blew up the BO. This is a huge game changer. The reality is cinemas won't be the same once the virus is over. The big studios are scrambling right now figuring out their next move. Regal and Cinemark are freaking out right now. AMC has already resigned themselves to this fate. So, yah, I think this is it. Yes, movies will come back, but it won't be the same. More things will go to streaming, and well, it's going to be hard for theaters to stay in business. Any day now, I expect AMC to announce bankruptcy with Regal following suit.

Anyway, this thread is to discuss the end of BO as we know it. I guess it really ended in March when Covid broke out, but this just seals its fate. 

Farewell BO, it was nice knowing you. At least, we got to see a huge $357M OW with EG last year. That was epic.

Post your BO memories and shed your tears.

BO
RIP

1900s-12/3/2020

• Like 2
  • Astonished 2

AT&T just gave the other studios the excuse they needed to push the same agenda. Well I guess COVID gave them the excuse in the first place, but AT&T gets to be the bad guy here. Universal was already pushing for this agenda long before COVID, and I think Disney has been wanting an excuse to go this direction as well. 

• Like 2

I wonder what will actors do. Chose a streaming service and stick with it...like say Millie Bobby Brown.  It's gonna be hard if you're a fan of an actor and he does movies for all streaming services. I think we're gonna return to the old studios "owning" actors. They're gonna sign contract and do movies only for one streaming service

Edited by Maggie
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Nah, WW1984 is gonna do so badly that WB and AT&T will realise this is a really stupid decision.

Low key I kind of hope for this at this point. Theatrical experience is more important than the fate of any one individual movie. 

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Maggie said:

I wonder what will actors do. Chose a streaming service and stick with it...like say Millie Bobby Brown.  It's gonna be hard if you're a fan of an actor and he does movies for all streaming services. I think we're gonna return to the old studios "owning" actors. They're gonna sign contract and do movies only for one streaming service

I hope not since Hallie Steinfeld is working for both Disney and Apple.

6 hours ago, CloneWars said:

Well, AT&T did it. They blew up the BO. This is a huge game changer. The reality is cinemas won't be the same once the virus is over. The big studios are scrambling right now figuring out their next move. Regal and Cinemark are freaking out right now. AMC has already resigned themselves to this fate. So, yah, I think this is it. Yes, movies will come back, but it won't be the same. More things will go to streaming, and well, it's going to be hard for theaters to stay in business. Any day now, I expect AMC to announce bankruptcy with Regal following suit.

Anyway, this thread is to discuss the end of BO as we know it. I guess it really ended in March when Covid broke out, but this just seals its fate. 

Farewell BO, it was nice knowing you. At least, we got to see a huge $357M OW with EG last year. That was epic.

Post your BO memories and shed your tears.

BO
RIP

1900s-12/3/2020

I'm sorry guys, I know it's a forum of movie enthusiasts particularly in love wit the theater experience, an experience I got for a bit more than 20 years myself but I would lie if I wasn't saying I'm very enthusiastic about the possibility of watching movies without leaving home because watching at home is so much more appealing to me: I watch when I want, without having to wait in line, wiithout paying excessively expensive food and without noise from people! Comfort, buying power, choice...it's bad for theaters but it's extremely good for consumers!

Let's hope Disney will do the same because they're those I'm interested in!

• Like 1

This is no doubt in response to their PATHETIC, WORST EVER performance in the rescheduling war. Their incompetence in this ares has been truly shocking. This gives them cover for the string of flops incoming.

14 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Was gonna say that. Streaming has no future here. Let's get used to the fact having Chinese film as #1.

I remember when people were saying streaming had no future for music and when they said digital had no future in gaming. And no it's just dominating in both cases.

Asia will follow suit, possibly with local alternatives at first. This business model is just too appealng on the long run....I know, you'll say "piracy" but piracy never prevented industries from being profitable and these countries might crack down on it even further on the long run.

Don't count on Asia beyond 2025.

1 hour ago, Fullbuster said:

I remember when people were saying streaming had no future for music and when they said digital had no future in gaming. And no it's just dominating in both cases.

Asia will follow suit, possibly with local alternatives at first. This business model is just too appealng on the long run....I know, you'll say "piracy" but piracy never prevented industries from being profitable and these countries might crack down on it even further on the long run.

Don't count on Asia beyond 2025.

The problem isn't the business model, but what type of films get greenlit.  You really think $200m tentpoles are gonna get greenlit if there isn't the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow?

Maybe they will be.  But there are quite a few people smarter than me when it comes to finances that are very skeptical that the current blockbuster model can transition to streaming.

So you maybe be able to enjoy movies from the comfort of your couch (as you said in a prior post), just not uber-blockbuster movies.

That really is the 157m dollar question, isn't it?  Can massive blockbusters still be made and turn the profit that studios expect them to.

• Like 4