Eric Atreides

***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** WONDER WOMAN 1984 SPOILERS THREAD ***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** ***DID WE MENTION SPOILERS?????***

On 12/15/2020 at 5:10 PM, jking123 said:

some rumblings on twitter made me wonder if reactions would be a bit more negative. but seems it will generally be well received. Good thing its more or less guaranteed a sequel anyways. 

wonder what  the post credits scene is about

The post credits scene is just an older Amazonian helping a civilian in the street for 20 seconds, then a credit flashes up, "STARRING SPECIAL GUEST LYNDA CARTER"

23 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Can anyone explain to me how did Diana get the golden armor? I feel like I missed something. She was flying with her regular outfit to where Max Lord was broadcasting his message, and next time I saw her she arrived using the golden armor.

She was flying in the armour. We saw her earlier in the film show us the armour which she kept in her house. She goes back to her house before she goes to the island and we see her pick up the armour.

You might be mixing it up with the final scene which features her flying with no armour?

Edited by Avatree
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Can anyone explain to me how did Diana get the golden armor? I feel like I missed something. She was flying with her regular outfit to where Max Lord was broadcasting his message, and next time I saw her she arrived using the golden armor.

She shows it to Steve first in her apartment.

Then she is flying and see the mess Max Lord is doing by broadcasting his message to the people, she arrives in her apartment, wears the armour and goes to where Max is.

• Like 1

On 12/17/2020 at 3:39 PM, belblazer said:

Do you guys think it's possible to see Cheetah again? My dream to see her in Suicide Squad is almost dead.

Maybe Circe can make her a predator again?

She never renounced her wish.😉

• Like 2

On 12/17/2020 at 11:39 PM, belblazer said:

Do you guys think it's possible to see Cheetah again? My dream to see her in Suicide Squad is almost dead.

Maybe Circe can make her a predator again?

She will be back.. if there was someone who did not renounce her wish. Its her.

Btw the movie is freaking awesome in IMAX.

So, I don't buy Maxwell's redemption.  You can't make me believe, after the way he treated the kid (and everyone else) all movie, that he would actually give up everything for him.  They made him too evil for me to buy him suddenly going good.

If they had shown him his own destruction with the lasso of truth, where he ends up in even more poverty, pain, sickness, and then death from his wish-granting, then I'd buy it, since he was Max 1st and Max always...but this arc gives him more heroic qualities than I think the movie ever set up for him.

It's the big flaw of the movie for me.  I can look past practically anything else, but that took the movie down for me.

PS - I did love Wonder Woman and Steve together...they need to figure out how to raise him from the dead again or clone him for #3:)...

• Like 2

On 12/16/2020 at 9:48 PM, Napoleon said:

After rewatching this part I've seen the shot of Diana getting the golden armor, somehow I missed it the first time.

The bit where she gets out of the car when chasing the convoy and she suddenly switches from Civis to uniform took me out of the movie for a second 

...and it's annoying that auto correct changes Civis to Covid.

Edited by AndyK
  • Like 1

Yeah, just a whole lot in this movie that I’ve been trepidatious about for a while, and seeing the whole thing play out it’s unfortunately very much what I expected. This is definitely not an awful movie, imo — I can see why it would work, or even work very well for some people, and I’m glad for them. But it totally did not work for me. Biggest issues off the top of my head:  

being a prequel — I think this is fine for an origin story if the character’s origin is before the present. After all, it’s critical to become acquainted with what shaped the character. But for a 2nd entry... just no. My concern was that this wouldn’t really move the larger plot or her character along at all and would have some issues with continuity. The first was even more true than I thought, since it seems like the entire world just forgets about everything that happens in the movie? The 2nd was also true — the whole figuring flying out thing probably would have been useful in BvS or JL, but she doesn’t. At this point I can only assume that the DCEU has been abandoned and these movies largely exist in separate continuities.   
Steve returning — Look, I get it. Gadot and Pine had good chemistry. Audiences liked it. But... he died. And that was a very important death for, again, her character as portrayed in the present. This was a crutch imo, and a lot of the runtime/pacing issues could have been solved by not having this be a factor (especially with 2 major villains).  
The McGuffin — this is really what the whole movie is built around (well, that and the kind of clumsy, super in your face theme of “truth”) and it doesn’t serve that purpose very well. Just very goofy and absurdly powerful.

I’m realizing I have like a dozen other minor nitpicks, but that wouldn’t be worth my time to write or anyone’s else’s to read. Probably most of them will be mentioned din the next couple pages anyway. So as to not give the wrong impression, I do want to close on some of the things that I liked:   
Barbara, at least for the first two acts or so — Wiig did a good job, and I liked her basic ugly duckling/awkward nerd/victim of sexism archetype. Also liked the interplay between her and Diana. That stuff being good made it more disappointing how rushed and illogical her descent into villainy was. Probably the character in the movie with the most potential for me, but very underserved by the script in the end. Would not mind seeing her return with a better role in WW3, but doubt it will happen.

while Max’s story and motivations were a bit underdeveloped and cliche, I liked his relationship with his son and how it lead to his redemption and final two scenes.
Some of the jokes were funny. 
I was trying to think of something positive to say about the action, but there really wasn’t much of it and I’m just now realizing I can’t say that I particularly liked the opening Amazon games, the mall scene, the Cairo cars, the WH fight, or the 3rd act Cheetah showdown.   

The donner-ish camp and sincerity is a hard sell for me. I think Gadot is well cast, but I can’t say that the emotional cores and themes of wither Wonder Woman movie have particularly worked for me thus far. Still hopeful that WW3 might work for me more, especially since it will:

be in the present (right????? — please God)

not have Steve (right????? — please God)

reroll on the villain selection

maybe not have Jenkins. I read an interview with her about this movie and realized that a lot of the things that don’t work for me about the first two are very deliberate style choices from her. Clearly worked for  a lot of people in the first movie, but not really what I’m looking for out of a mainstream superhero flick. Though who knows, maybe with a certain execution it actually would click.

Edited by WandaLegion