Eric Duncan

MEMORIAL DAY 2021 WEEKEND THREAD | AQP2 19.3 Fri, Cruella 7.7 | SALE: $5 OFF FIRST MONTH OF GOLD

10 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Well, ummm, it was a big reason I subscribed to HBO Max, so the right thing might not be so clear:)...

This. Exactly.

Most of us need to self note that we are somewhat bias because this is a Box Office Forum; and we love seeing the big BO numbers; and while some of us constantly hope for exclusive theatrical releases - we need to know that:

1) Most Studios knows that their longer term focus is on streaming and subscription services and thus a need to provide fresh content: and

2) There are a lot of people in the world who subscribe to these streaming services in anticipation for these movies there; eg: i heard a lot of complaints (here especially) about BW being a simultaneous release but I also know many ppl in countries (i.e. Malaysia) where the pandemic is very serious who is subscribing to D+ and waiting for the PA release.

So you want Disney to announce a last minute change in strategy for BW and potential piss subscribers off? When their longer term goal is focused on the subscription model

Edited by TigerPaw
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Sure, but it wasn’t a good thing for the box office. Which I know you care about too…so pick a side! 

Why pick - I choose both:).  I mean WB saved late 2020/early 2021 cinema (along with Universal) and jump started their streaming with the plan (I never had HBO in my life til this winter) - as I said all along, they had the win/win strategy for everyone, so let's let them finish it out and then get back to theater exclusive:)...I may even stick with HBO when they do!

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

I really can't comprehend choosing to watch a film on streaming when it's available at a nearby theater. 

Assuming you're vaccinated and feel safe with the precautions and such

Edited by Ethan Hunt

Just now, TigerPaw said:

This. Exactly.

Most of us need to self note that we are somewhat bias because this is a Box Office Forum; and we love seeing the big BO numbers; and while some of us constantly hope for exclusive theatrical releases - we need to know that that:

1) Most Studios knows that their longer term focus is on streaming and subscription services and thus a need to provide fresh content: and

2) There are a lot of people in the world who subscribe to these streaming services in anticipation for these movies there; eg: i heard a lot of complaints (here especially) about BW being a simultaneous release but I also know many ppl in countries (i.e. Malaysia) where the panademic is very serious who is subscribing to D+ and waiting for the PA release.

But there is a clear unfairness in term of consumer choice for this.

People got to see their movies anytime at anywhere on streaming until end of the world but for those who like to see it in theater, once 45 days are gone, we may never be able to see a film in theater, or have to wait some anniversary limited run.

How is it 45 days, 60 days or even 90 days theater exclusivity  a too much thing to ask when we can stream a movie until god know when?

If we want to see a movie in theater, we need large demand in order to keep a fair share of showtime. Moving demand to streaming is just killing our chance to see it on big screen. 

4 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

But there is a clear unfairness in term of consumer choice for this.

People got to see their movies anytime at anywhere on streaming until end of the world but for those who like to see it in theater, once 45 days are gone, we may never be able to see a film in theater, or have to wait some anniversary limited run.

How is it 45 days, 60 days or even 90 days theater exclusivity  a too much thing to ask when we can stream a movie until god know when?

If we want to see a movie in theater, we need large demand in order to keep a fair share of showtime. Moving demand to streaming is just killing our chance to see it on big screen. 

Again; in my 2nd point I mentioned countries where the pandemic is still serious and theaters are still closed. Also there are people with bigger family size and feels safer / more comfortable paying and watching at home even if a movie is playing in theaters.

I think what studios are doing is giving people a choice. Some people watch movies for the theatrical experience / sound / visuals, some just wants to see the acting + plot.

To each his own. I don't think it is wrong to give consumers the choice. And for those people with no choice (countries with ongoing serious pandemic), at least they have a chance to watch the film legally at the same time as the rest of the world.

Edited by TigerPaw
  • Like 1

I mean I think it's a great relief that some movies managed to do fairly well at theaters in the middle of a pandemic while also being available on streaming. If that doesn't show you that people WANT to go the movies then idk what does

• Like 1

Black Widow should be fine for a big opening even with its availability on D+ PA the same day. It's movies like Cruella and Jungle Cruise that are likely to be hurt more, especially when Disney already seems to be going all in on the "theaters are for guaranteed tentpoles only" model even more than before after they announced a slew of their movies that normally would've been theatrical releases for them (Pinocchio, Peter Pan & Wendy, Disenchanted) would be moving to D+ last fall (they likely weren't able to move either of the movies to D+ exclusively because these were already made and had contracts with their big name talent that had to be at least partially met).

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

I really can't comprehend choosing to watch a film on streaming when it's available at a nearby theater. 

Assuming you're vaccinated and feel safe with the precautions and such

Well, it also depends on life...in my house, there will be 3 folks max looking to watch Into the Heights, and I'll be the most motivated...and yet, there will be other summer movies where all 6 of us will be motivated (or at least my spouse and I will be for a date night - he is not in the 3 motivated:)...so, when money and time are limited, as they always are in the summer, it helps to have a few movies to stream and a few to see.

I mean, I've got 3 kid movie outings already with $1 summer movies and then I think we'll be at Black Widow, then either Peter Rabbit 2/Space Jam 2/Boss Baby 2/Hotel Transylvania 4 depending on deals and reviews (we'll probably do 2), with Suicide Squad and Shang Chi as wild cards - we'll probably see both, but I'll want reviews (SS b/c I was burned on the last one and Shang Chi b/c that trailer was iffy)...that's already 6 definite movie outings, and possibly 10 in one summer...

We're usually a 12x/year movie family, so while we're excited to get restarted, I don't think we can see everything budget or timewise...so HBO Max is a blessing right now (I renew in July, thus another reason SS could be in theater or at home:)... 

Edited by TwoMisfits

My opinion would be: get rid of these day and date releases as soon as possible. 

If people don’t want to go to the cinema, make them wait 45 days or whatever it is. 

The biggest problem with streaming films is, the film is over as soon as it’s done. No one ever talks about them again. There are only articles about them on day 1. 

Just now, TigerPaw said:

Again; in my 2nd point I mentioned countries where the pandemic is still serious and theaters are still closed. Also there are people with bigger family size and feels safer / more comfortable paying and watching at home even if a movie is playing in theaters.

I think what studios are doing is giving people a choice. Some people watch movies for the theatrical experience / sound / visuals, some just wants to see the acting + plot.

To each his own. I don't think it is wrong to give consumers the choice. And for those people with no choice (countries with ongoing serious pandemic), at least they have a chance to watch the film legally at the same time as the rest of the world.

Totally understandable given current situation but I don't hope or want this to be a permeant change. And speaking of choice, unless I got to see a movie that I love in theater easily for many many years to come just like streaming them, there is no choice given in the strict sense because by the time movie leave the big screen, I have no choice but to stream them.  

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

It's not just "some people" making fun of it though. There seems to be a decent audience for it, but it wouldn't have opened as high as AQP2 (as Madhuvan said) even if it went theatrical exclsuive. 

I was talking pre pandemic memorial day weekend. 60m was a good target and achievable. 

Also, many people actually love the movie and not just talking about the joke. It's a good and entertaining movie. 

Edited by Madhuvan
  • Like 1

The thing with BW and other big movies is that they're appealing globally and unlike US, lots of big markets are still suffering with the pandemic.

I live in Brazil and it's chaotic, near countries too. Australia, UK, Japan and other markets are stable but worried with some growing in cases. India is collapsing, Vietnam found a new variant today that match both indian and british variants.

So you see, it's still unsafe for millions to go in a theater. And for example in BW case, spoilers are a big deal, they can put the movie theatrical only with millions still at home around the world? They could, but for me it makes sense to put available globally when Disney have a platform with 110M subscribers around the world, and they still will get paid for the PA.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

The thing with BW and other big movies is that they're appealing globally and unlike US, lots of big markets are still suffering with the pandemic.

I live in Brazil and it's chaotic, near countries too. Australia, UK, Japan and other markets are stable but worried with some growing in cases. India is collapsing, Vietnam found a new variant today that match both indian and british variants.

So you see, it's still unsafe for millions to go in a theater. And for example in BW case, spoilers are a big deal, they can put the movie theatrical only with millions still at home around the world? They could, but for me it makes sense to put available globally when Disney have a platform with 110M subscribers around the world, and they still will get paid for the PA.

That make me wonder why Demon Slayer can do this. They release in stages in different places depending their reopening plan. With so many dedicated fans, they never lose a big chunk of money from doing stagger rollout. 

• Like 3

Summer is ON. As far as I can tell there’s no clear pandemic effect on the openers here — which is to say, pent up demand roughly cancelling the dampening factors. Pretty soon it will be all pent up demand and no covid dampening factors :Venom:

I’m one optimistic day away from rebooting that BW 100M club.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

It's such a shame that in India they don't do Premiere access. I would gladly pay money to watch Black Widow. Have watched all MCU movies in theatre since Avengers 2 and now nothing. Disney's management is messed up. 

Why not Premiere access in international markets and theatres exclusive in NA?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Well, it also depends on life...in my house, there will be 3 folks max looking to watch Into the Heights, and I'll be the most motivated...and yet, there will be other summer movies where all 6 of us will be motivated (or at least my spouse and I will be for a date night - he is not in the 3 motivated:)...so, when money and time are limited, as they always are in the summer, it helps to have a few movies to stream and a few to see.

I mean, I've got 3 kid movie outings already with $1 summer movies and then I think we'll be at Black Widow, then either Peter Rabbit 2/Space Jam 2/Boss Baby 2/Hotel Transylvania 4 depending on deals and reviews (we'll probably do 2), with Suicide Squad and Shang Chi as wild cards - we'll probably see both, but I'll want reviews (SS b/c I was burned on the last one and Shang Chi b/c that trailer was iffy)...that's already 6 definite movie outings, and possibly 10 in one summer...

We're usually a 12x/year movie family, so while we're excited to get restarted, I don't think we can see everything budget or timewise...so HBO Max is a blessing right now (I renew in July, thus another reason SS could be in theater or at home:)... 

I do suppose it is single minded of me to not think of the family angle lol

Just now, Borobudur said:

That make me wonder why Demon Slayer can do this. They release in stages in different places depending their reopening plan. With so many dedicated fans, they never lose a big chunk of money from doing stagger rollout. 

Probably because fans are too dedicated and they wait. For bigger brands like MCU they deal with lots of people who are are perfectly fine with piracy if it isn't available legally especially on foreign countries, so have it on streaming is better.

• Like 1

Just now, Madhuvan said:

It's such a shame that in India they don't do Premiere access. I would gladly pay money to watch Black Widow. Have watched all MCU movies in theatre since Avengers 2 and now nothing. Disney's management is messed up. 

Why not Premiere access in international markets and theatres exclusive in NA?

Probably because of the brand, it doesn't look good to treat the platforms different in different countries.

For example, HBO Max is doing day and date for free on US, the platform is coming to Brazil next month but new movies will be available only 35 days after premiere. There's a LOT of people furious about that because they want the equal treatment.

I bet if Disney give the option foreign and not domestic, people will riot, especially those interested in watching at theater and then pay the PA to rewatch many times at home.

• Like 1