Eric the Ape

MEMORIAL DAY 2021 WEEKEND THREAD | AQP2 19.3 Fri, Cruella 7.7 | SALE: $5 OFF FIRST MONTH OF GOLD

12 hours ago, Cap said:

I saw Cruella in a real movie theater and I loved it. I can’t wait to see every LEWK that Thompson and Stone serve on RuPaul’s Drag Race S14. God. They were AMAZING. 

This should be the definitive answer for anyone who asks the "who was Cruella made for?" question. Disney knew exactly who their target audience was.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Wow, what terrific news about AQP2. Now, none of us honestly have any clue how this holds up this weekend due to being the first major post-pandemic sequel, and on a holiday weekend. It could hold evenly across all three days and do nearly 60m three day, or crash to 13m today and barely make it over 40m. We just do not know.

Also, that's pretty damn good for Cruella too tbh. Now that's one I have a hard time seeing drop much on a Saturday, given Disney. I think 20-25 is happening there for sure 3day.

Also, since this is the most popular BOT thread in a year and I know I'll get a response, has the font been large af for anyone else on here for the past month or so?

Terrible East Coast weather will help both movies today...

• Like 1

The numbers for A Quiet Place 2 are not far off from where it was tracking in March 2020 before it was pulled from the schedule. Insane. Definitely sets the bar high for the rest of the summer and means that the movies that are theatrical exclusive won't have much of an excuse if they underperform expectations.

Cruella's numbers are also really good given its availability on D+. Could come close to $30M for the 4-day given its target audience of families even with the PG-13 rating. We can probably expect similar results for Jungle Cruise in two months. Add in PA access money and it's likely to go down as another win for Disney in the end.

• Like 1

Another thing that doesn’t make sense to me with this premium access/HBO thing - aside from piracy….

How has a big movie got any chance of decent sophomore weekends if the WOM is coming from people who will let their friends just log into their account and watch it? It’s crazy.  You’d think in 2021 they’d have finally devised a proper encrypted way of distributing films that can’t be cracked etc. As they’re a million miles away from that I just don’t see how the VOD day and date model helps anybody. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Cap said:

I saw Cruella in a real movie theater and I loved it. I can’t wait to see every LEWK that Thompson and Stone serve on RuPaul’s Drag Race S14. God. They were AMAZING. 

Yes, the looks are the most fabulous things i've seen in a while. And the scenes with them are all mesmerizing. I'm sure this will do great with cosplayers and drag queens.

As a gay man myself i watch 2/3 of the movie smiling in every scene, i feel very represented seeing LGBT people on screen and the way they treat fashion less focused on feminine and masculine.

I'm sure commercially maybe this approach isn't the best, but for the audiences they're aiming this is very important and i'm very happy this isn't flopping.

• Like 6

‘A Quiet Place Part II’ Screaming To $57M+; ‘Cruella’ Set To Dazzle $27M+: The Box Office Is Back

Saturday AM Update: Paramount’s A Quiet Place Part II made $19.3M yesterday, including $4.8M Thursday night previews, for what it looking like a $47.5M 3-day, $57.4M 4-day opening. Meanwhile, Disney’s Cruelladid $7.7M on Friday, including Thursday previews, for what will be a $22.3M 3-day opening, $27.3M estimated 4-day.

https://deadline.com/2021/05/a-quiet-place-part-ii-cruella-memorial-day-weekend-box-office-1234766021/

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Assuming 50m 3 days for AQP2, this mean AQP2 is not that far off from the pre-pandemic tracking of 55m-70m. Which mean, whatever Paramount have done for AQP2 in term of marketing before pandemic, their buzz still works after 15months, especially given Paramount has done almost nothing during this 2nd go. 

Good to know that marketing buzz created 15 months ago is still working, hope the vaccine can last this long too in the body.  

• Like 1

Just now, titanic2187 said:

Paramount has done almost nothing during this 2nd go. 

Good to know that marketing buzz created 15 months ago is still working, hope the vaccine can last this long too in the body.  

Krasinski visited some movie theaters to get the buzz going. I think he is the sole responsable for these great numbers

17 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

Cruella would have done 60m+ in normal market, I am sure of it. It's always been buzzy title. I am sure the PVOD numbers are good for it. 

Many are talking about it on social media. 

There's no indication that it's buzzy. The movie is being talked about on social media because people were sharing and making fun of a very (unintentionally) funny part of the movie. 

• Like 3

F9 is the next big movie opening over the next two months that won't have a home release the same day to go along with it, right? Imagine it must be feeling the pressure right now knowing that they won't be able to use the pandemic or streaming as an excuse in the event the results leave Universal underwhelmed.

• Like 2

Projections are back :Venom:

A Quiet Place:

May 28: 53.8M (24.7M weekdays, 78.5M Total)

Jun 4: 19.6M (11M weekdays, 109.1M Total)

Jun 11: 14.7M (10.1M weekdays, 133.9M Total)

Jun 18: 11M (4.9M weekdays, 149.8M Total)

Jun 25: 5.3M (2.9M weekdays, 158M Total)

Jul 2: 2.5M (1.3M weekdays, 161.8M Total)

Jul 9: 1M (600k weekdays, 163.4M Total)

Final Total: 168M (3.12x from 3 day/2.47x from 4 day)

I'm guessing The Conjuring + no holiday will cause at least a 55-60% drop next weekend, but it should stabilize well the following two weeks with minimal releases and Father's Day. Big theater losses will probably start around the Fourth of July and fully hit with Black Widow, but it should come fairly close to the first's gross with strong WOM.

Cruella:

May 28: 20.7M (10M weekdays, 30.7M Total)

Jun 4: 7.8M (4.3M weekdays, 42.8M Total)

Jun 11: 6.1M (5.2M weekdays, 54.1M Total)

Jun 18: 5.9M (3.1M weekdays, 63.1M Total)

Jun 25: 2.9M (1.4M weekdays, 67.4M Total)

Jul 2: 1.4M (500k weekdays, 69.3M Total)

Jul 9: 500k (200k weekdays, 70M Total)

Final Total: 73M (3.53x from 3 day/2.79x from 4 day)

I have no idea what to expect from Father's Day, but legs should be good until it starts losing theaters around F9/Fourth of July.

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

People need to stop with TENET trashing. Once again Deadline trashing TENET today. TENET released in way more tough period with Pandemic still raging and 2 biggest states literally closed. Canada which was in much better condition, TENET did equivalent of $150M, not to forget excellent numbers across Europe.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, charlie Jatinder said:

People need to stop with TENET trashing. Once again Deadline trashing TENET today. TENET released in way more tough period with Pandemic still raging and 2 biggest states literally closed. Canada which was in much better condition, TENET did equivalent of $150M, not to forget excellent numbers across Europe.

People gleefully trash Tenet because it was not a good movie either. People would feel sorry for it if it were good...

• Knock It Off 2

1 minute ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Agree. It opened in peak fear of the pandemic. It was kind of a miracle it did as well as it did. 

Going to see Cruella today felt like a totally different world to when I saw Tenet. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, lorddemaxus said:

There's no indication that it's buzzy. The movie is being talked about on social media because people were sharing and making fun of a very (unintentionally) funny part of the movie. 

It have 71M trailer views on first day, and it's trending on social media for more than 24 hours now so i'm sure it's not just because of some people making fun.

Maybe isn't that buzzy, but even the numbers on box office are showing that are a good audience for it.

• Like 1

Poor holdovers except that never go away Raya, 20% up from last week! 

- N A Quiet Place: Part II Paramount Pi… $19,300,000     3,726 $5,180 $19,300,000 1
- N Cruella Walt Disney $7,700,000     3,892 $1,978 $7,700,000 1
- (-) Raya and the Last Dragon Walt Disney $495,000 +261% +20% 2,015 $246 $49,360,365 85
- (-) Nobody Universal $26,000 +31% -70% 666 $39 $25,891,130 64
- (-) Final Account Focus Features $15,000 +51% -68% 308 $49 $210,930 8
- (-) The Croods: A New Age Universal $14,000 +88% -61% 926 $15 $58,249,960 185
- (-) The Girl Who Believes In … Atlas Distri… $1,850 -37% -83% 75 $25 $3,135,715 57
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Maggie said:

People gleefully trash Tenet because it was not a good movie either. People would feel sorry for it if it were good...

quality of movie is a subjective issue, besides I have hear like 9:1 positive takes on film, so I won't really say it was bad movie. me personally liked it as well.

did I miss to mention the excellent Europe numbers.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

I know here in the U.K. showtimes for Conjuring 3, QP2, Cruella, Peter Rabbit are all looking very healthy in terms of attendance. 
To see any of them at my desired showtime is a bit of a struggle due to the limitations.  I’ve just about managed to get a ticket for IMAX QP2 on Monday. 

yeh it’s so busy here! Especially in Scotland because we have to have 3 empty seats on either side of every household. Having to travel an extra 10 minutes tonight because Conjuring 3 is sold out at my local every showing Fri/Sat/Sun. 

• Like 1