Eric Duncan

MEMORIAL DAY 2021 WEEKEND THREAD | AQP2 19.3 Fri, Cruella 7.7 | SALE: $5 OFF FIRST MONTH OF GOLD

Just now, Felipe said:

That's really good too. 5.5x its previews, while Aladdin, though obviously it has a way bigger preview, did 4.48x. If it follows Aladdin's Sat and Sun, it would lead to a 3-day of 22.5M. But with it already holding better, it can probably reach 25M on the 3-Day. Not bad all things considered.

Wow, what terrific news about AQP2. Now, none of us honestly have any clue how this holds up this weekend due to being the first major post-pandemic sequel, and on a holiday weekend. It could hold evenly across all three days and do nearly 60m three day, or crash to 13m today and barely make it over 40m. We just do not know.

Also, that's pretty damn good for Cruella too tbh. Now that's one I have a hard time seeing drop much on a Saturday, given Disney. I think 20-25 is happening there for sure 3day.

Also, since this is the most popular BOT thread in a year and I know I'll get a response, has the font been large af for anyone else on here for the past month or so?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

We really needed this. 
This will be confirmation to other studios and their ridiculous streaming same day strategies that people are wanting to go to the movies. 

I totally get that the game has changed as far as windows go. But move your premium access/HBO same day stuff out to a month and let theaters do their thing. There’s no better showcase for your product than the big screen. Keep it feeling special like it always has done.  

While I am glad Quiet Place is doing well, I don't think these day-and-date releases are going away quietly into the night. Disney mentioned they were still committed to the Premier Access idea, and Boss Baby 2 was announced for a similar strategy just a couple weeks ago. And while piracy is an issue and obviously the box office gross is lower due to this strategy, it doesn't seem to impact them that much in terms of numbers, especially when VOD and streaming revenue is compensating for some of it.

Theaters won't die obviously and there will be theatrical-exclusive releases, but I sincerely doubt studios and streamers will drop this whole idea so quickly as some might think.

• Like 1

It’s really nice to see movies being less frontloaded. In the telegram @Ethan Hunt made a good point that it could be due to limited capacities backloading films.

Also could just be from preference shifts due to the pandemic and these not being fan-centric films.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Also, since this is the most popular BOT thread in a year and I know I'll get a response, has the font been large af for anyone else on here for the past month or so?

Yes, I think it's because of new update. 

Saturday and Sunday numbers for Cruella should be lovely jumps over that Friday. I’m hoping for $30 million 4 day. 

What a kickstart that’ll be if the trades can proclaim around $100 million memorial weekend between two movies, despite the reduced capacity. 

I know here in the U.K. showtimes for Conjuring 3, QP2, Cruella, Peter Rabbit are all looking very healthy in terms of attendance. 
To see any of them at my desired showtime is a bit of a struggle due to the limitations.  I’ve just about managed to get a ticket for IMAX QP2 on Monday. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Wow, what terrific news about AQP2. Now, none of us honestly have any clue how this holds up this weekend due to being the first major post-pandemic sequel, and on a holiday weekend. It could hold evenly across all three days and do nearly 60m three day, or crash to 13m today and barely make it over 40m. We just do not know.

Also, that's pretty damn good for Cruella too tbh. Now that's one I have a hard time seeing drop much on a Saturday, given Disney. I think 20-25 is happening there for sure 3day.

The forum went through a system update that caused a redesign of the forums and the normal font size to be incredibly large. If you don't like this, go to the top bar, click "Customizer", which is right next to your messages, and click "Larger Font Size for Posts?". It moves it down to a much smaller font.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Yep. Driving me insane 

1 minute ago, ThomasNicole said:

I wonder how much more Cruella would do with theatrical exclusivity.

Probably $ 40-45M despite limitations.

I hope BW don't get a big punch because of the day and date.

Cruella would have done 60m+ in normal market, I am sure of it. It's always been buzzy title. I am sure the PVOD numbers are good for it. 

Many are talking about it on social media. 

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

2 minutes ago, The Panda said:

It’s really nice to see movies being less frontloaded. In the telegram @Ethan Hunt made a good point that it could be due to limited capacities backloading films.

Also could just be from preference shifts due to the pandemic and these not being fan-centric films.

The first one and relatively lower competition. 

2 minutes ago, Eric De Vil said:

The forum went through a system update that caused a redesign of the forums and the normal font size to be incredibly large. If you don't like this, go to the top bar, click "Customizer", which is right next to your messages, and click "Larger Font Size for Posts?". It moves it down to a much smaller font.

@WandaLegion told me this after I asked about it yesterday and I thought he was taking the p***.  My sincere apologies after my sarcastic reply! 

• Haha 1