TheDarkKnightOfSteel

ARGYLLE| Matthew Vaughn| Henry Cavill, Samuel L. Jackson, Bryce Dallas Howard, Bryan Cranston, Sam Rockwell | February 2, 2023

8 hours ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

This literally has one of the worst marketing campaigns ever and it will be a real shame if it turns out to be good and with the cast. 

I don't think we have to worry about that. There are some reviews on Letterboxd. It's looking mediocre at best

11 hours ago, stripe said:

When does the review and social embargo end for this?

I believe I read 1/31 on a letterboxd early reaction

Judging by the reactions on there, this is giving like a 40% RT critics score. This is gonna be embarrassing at the box office. Vaughn is so washed

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Hatebox said:

Why is Henry cavil chronically incapable of picking good projects? He’s like the anti-Mescal or Chalamet 

I don't think great directors are seeking him for their projects. He is not in a position to "pick" projects.

Edited by Maggie
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Hatebox said:

Why is Henry cavil chronically incapable of picking good projects? He’s like the anti-Mescal or Chalamet 

I mean, he is even being remotely considered for the same projects as those two? He's now 40 while they're still in their 20s.

6 hours ago, Hatebox said:

Highlander might be good, my only concern is overcoocked script, it's been in development hell forever for no real reason.

7 hours ago, Hatebox said:

He got his big break at a much later state of life (late 20s/early 30s vs early 20s for Mescal and teens for Chalamet). Plus he’s probably just not as skilled.

I think Henry is good for action movie but that’s about it so, even if he was the age of Chalamett and Mescal, he wouldn’t go for the same roles. He even said it himself that he is fine doing only these action films. He was decent with drama (Tudors) but not enough to go for Oscar bait roles.

He has Stahelsky’s Highlander though and the two Guy Ritchie films so it’s not like he is desperate for work. Personally, I am very excited for all these 3 films. I love both directors. 

• Like 2

On 1/20/2024 at 8:20 AM, emoviefan said:

Yep It seems like Matthew Vaughn is the one making all the decisions here on the marketing and Apple and Universal are just going along with it for some reason. He is not Christopher Nolan or even close to have that kind of clout. 

Abd hyst becayse you are a good director does not mean you are gook at marketing.

I think the Ungentlemanly Warfare Guy Ritchie movie has real potential for Cavill. Support from Alan Ritchinson while he's popping. Only issue is that Guy Ritchie's recent couple of films have gotten such bad pushes recently. This may be a similar case like The Covenant where it's straight to streaming in most countries.

Highlander should be very good as long as Stahelski is still directing, which it looks like he is.

Edited by Pinacolada

3 hours ago, Pinacolada said:

I think the Ungentlemanly Warfare Guy Ritchie movie has real potential for Cavill. Support from Alan Ritchinson while he's popping. Only issue is that Guy Ritchie's recent couple of films have gotten such bad pushes recently. This may be a similar case like The Covenant where it's straight to streaming in most countries.

Highlander should be very good as long as Stahelski is still directing, which it looks like he is.

Don’t count on Ministry to have a big push. It comes out early April and we don’t even have a trailer. Again a shame because the cast is talented.

Stahelski sounds really excited about Highlander so he is definitely directing.

I'm getting The King's Man vibes from the pre-release marketing thus far. There's an aggressive marketing push here in the US. Vaughn is a more than capable director for this type of material, but it seems like he's gotten too comfortable with it. His last few films aren't BAD bad. They just tend to feel flat and forgettable despite how bonkers some of the scenes are. There's an element missing from the craziness.

Edited by ThePhasmid
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Pinacolada said:

I believe I read 1/31 on a letterboxd early reaction

Judging by the reactions on there, this is giving like a 40% RT critics score. This is gonna be embarrassing at the box office. Vaughn is so washed

EDIT: The recent wave is actually pretty good.... maybe it goes fresh....

2 hours ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

So some reactions from critics  have surfaced online and they seemed pretty positive. They do say that the twists are many and good and to fo as blind as possible but still don’t know if they are worth dooming the theatrical run of the film. 

Yeah the reactions from critics I see on Twitter/X are fairly positive but checked Letterboxed and they are little more mixed. But it is Letterboxed so take that with a grain of salt.  As for dooming the theatrical run to preserve twists yeah not sure it was worth it but in their mind probably  this movie was greenlit  to go on the streaming service and after production and screening the movie they changed their mind it seems and Universal came on board. The money had been spent and we know Apple has it so any money this makes in the theaters is gravy in their mind. 

On 1/25/2024 at 9:10 AM, Maggie said:

I don't think great directors are seeking him for their projects. He is not in a position to "pick" projects.

I just don't really agree with the premise of the initial claim.

I think Maggie's comment undersells Cavill's leverage even if he's not competing for Scorsese films. The Witcher is sneakily a really big Netflix hit which means Cavill could have continued to get a significant payday to work primarily on that show for another 3 seasons. That's leverage (alongside decent name ID). Cavill didn't jump into another Immortals tier film. 

Cavill's three big films post-Man of Steel are all big budget spy movies from good directors (MI: Fallout, Matthew Vaughn and Guy Richie) who at various points have been praised for creating some really standout sequences. Cavill's also attached to the John Wick director's Highlander reboot (as others have mentioned). It seems like Cavill's actually jumped onto projects with a decent elevator pitch. 

Uncle bombed (and Argylle is likely to follow) but neither are likely to get terrible reviews while Fallout's likely going to end up as the highest grossing film in the post MI3 soft reboot era. Cavill just doesn't have the charisma of someone like The Rock even if he's not wooden. This is just what a good career for Henry Cavill looks like.  

• Like 1