TheDarkKnightOfSteel

ARGYLLE| Matthew Vaughn| Henry Cavill, Samuel L. Jackson, Bryce Dallas Howard, Bryan Cranston, Sam Rockwell | February 2, 2023

IIRC- Vaughn has the rights to Kingsmen because he self-funds basically all his movies (he's a very rich dude).

Which is also why his movies generally tend to have pretty reasonable budgets (the most expensive movie he's made til now is Kingsmen 2, and that was only $128 million in today's money). 

I'm guessing that Argylle probably cost around $110/125 million, and the rest of the money was for buying him out of his cut of the potential gross. 

Edited by TerwillikerInst
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, TerwillikerInst said:

IIRC- Vaughn has the rights to Kingsmen because he self-funds basically all his movies (he's a very rich dude).

Which is also why his movies generally tend to have pretty reasonable budgets (the most expensive movie he's made til now is Kingsmen 2, and that was only $128 million in today's money). 

I'm guessing that Argylle probably cost around $110/125 million, and the rest of the money was for buying him out of his cut of the potential gross. 

I didn’t even know his movies are self-funded. That would explain how the Kingsman franchise is still planned to continue, despite how poorly the last one did. 

• Like 1

God it feels like this movie is being hung out to dry right now. I really thought it had potential to be a early year surprise but they have done nothing since dropping the trailer to build up any excitement. They shot it two years ago. Why they did not just dump it on Apple TV is a mystery if they were going to treat it this way. 

32 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

God it feels like this movie is being hung out to dry right now. I really thought it had potential to be a early year surprise but they have done nothing since dropping the trailer to build up any excitement. They shot it two years ago. Why they did not just dump it on Apple TV is a mystery if they were going to treat it this way. 

they show the trailer nonstop at amc, big push in the US

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

they show the trailer nonstop at amc, big push in the US

Eh it's the same trailer since the end of September and the only real buzz the movie has that people are sick of seeing it at every movie they go too. I guess to preserve plot twists.  And  also did Taylor Swift write the fake book that came out. I still am hoping the movie ends up at least a good fun time. 

• Like 1

I imagine the fact that there’s just been the one trailer was Matthew Vaughn’s idea. It’s probably supposed to add to the “mystery” surrounding this film.

At this point, I’m fairly certain that Vaughn and Jason Fuchs planted that rumor about Taylor Swift being the author of the supposed book for this movie that seemingly no one has read. They’re trying to be clever with the marketing here. 

19 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

I didn’t even know his movies are self-funded. That would explain how the Kingsman franchise is still planned to continue, despite how poorly the last one did. 

Sooner of later Vaughn is going to run out of money for self funding unless he produces films that actually make a good  profit.

3 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

I imagine the fact that there’s just been the one trailer was Matthew Vaughn’s idea. It’s probably supposed to add to the “mystery” surrounding this film.

At this point, I’m fairly certain that Vaughn and Jason Fuchs planted that rumor about Taylor Swift being the author of the supposed book for this movie that seemingly no one has read. They’re trying to be clever with the marketing here. 

Not much mystery about the film though, the trailer pretty much spills the beans on the main plot.

I guess the whole Taylor Swift thing might be some kind of attempt at humor.

13 hours ago, WorkingonaName said:

They should make that King's man sequel where Hitler and Lenin team up, That would be sick as fuck.

Hey, something close to that happened with the Hitler/Stalin pact.

3 hours ago, AJG said:

They’re banking a lot of promo on a CGI Cat.

Is this a well known cat? Am I meant to know who this cat is? What is the joke here? It’s a CG Cat.

They are hoping to get some of that Marvels cat audience.

14 minutes ago, Pinacolada said:

The "book" for this is out. Has anyone checked it out? Like is it just... the movie? Or is it a book about Henry Cavill's character as written by BDH?

Looking at Amazon reviews, seems like it's just a book about Cavill'a character. Honestly, the answer behind who the author actually is is probably as simple as it being Matthew Vaughn himself

• Like 2

8 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

I can't think of any reason why anyone would randomly associate Taylor Swift with this film, so it feels like it had to be an idea planted by a marketing team.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

Looking at Amazon reviews, seems like it's just a book about Cavill'a character. Honestly, the answer behind who the author actually is is probably as simple as it being Matthew Vaughn himself

Yeah they do that every so often. The Castle TV show actually spawned a legit line of Richard Castle books.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

This literally has one of the worst marketing campaigns ever and it will be a real shame if it turns out to be good and with the cast. 

Yep It seems like Matthew Vaughn is the one making all the decisions here on the marketing and Apple and Universal are just going along with it for some reason. He is not Christopher Nolan or even close to have that kind of clout. 

12 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Yep It seems like Matthew Vaughn is the one making all the decisions here on the marketing and Apple and Universal are just going along with it for some reason. He is not Christopher Nolan or even close to have that kind of clout. 

Well, if it’s true that he self-funds his movies, then I guess Apple and Universal don’t care. It’s not their money. 

7 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Well, if it’s true that he self-funds his movies, then I guess Apple and Universal don’t care. It’s not their money. 

Yeah good point.Apple gets  another movie for their streaming service and U gets something to release in this dead zone on the calendar.  Vaughn  has said in interviews he got tired of dealing with the studios so he funds his own movies from now on. The problem his is best movie of the last 13 years or so is First Class. A movie with the Fox/Rothman micromanaging going on. The Kingsman franchise started out good but has had diminshing results with the following two.

• Like 1