Eric Prime

Weekend Thread (7/30-8/1) | Jungle Cruise 34.2M DOM, 27.6 OS, 30M PA | Green Knight 6.78, Old 6.76, Widow 6.4, Stillwater 5.1

18 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

They’ve said Green Knight is #3, so it could be just a 60% drop for Old, surprising but nice. 

Could be that Old is #2 for FRI and SAT but Green Knight estimates are optimistic for Sunday.

Edited by charlie Jatinder

47 minutes ago, Blankments said:

LMAO! I understand that post-pandemic boxoffice isn't back to normal yet but 6.7M isn't "beheaded the boxoffice" even by pandemic standards, it's "got beheaded at the boxoffice" by any standard ever. :hahaha:

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

LMAO! I understand that post-pandemic boxoffice isn't back to normal yet but 6.7M isn't "beheaded the boxoffice" even by pandemic standards, it's "got beheaded at the boxoffice" by any standard ever. :hahaha:

I mean last weekend (a July weekend with #1 doing $16 something million) people threw babies into the air. 

Of course GK feels like the sort of online film culture darling where mental gymnastics could potentially go for the gold this side or an IP fanboy property if it stumbles or it’s mainstream appeal is limited. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lokis Legion said:

Dang, better hold than I expected for Snake Eyes based on the Friday. Not even coming close to MK’s record…

I doubt even Paramount knew SE was still in theaters.

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Snake Eyes will barely hit $30M at this rate. An official addition to the list of franchise revivals that absolutely no one was asking for.

Where the hell do production companies come up with these ideas?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, RRA said:

I doubt even Paramount knew SE was still in theaters.

I'm working at a theater this Summer, and a guy came in on a Monday night to buy seven tickets for him and his friends to see a late night showing of Snake Eyes in IMAX. Google said they had the 10:00 PM... But by the time he came for the tickets (and he did come early), the theater had already taken it off the schedule. The group settled for watching Black Widow instead. I thought the whole thing was tragic.

Edited by SLAM!
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, RRA said:

I mean last weekend (a July weekend with #1 doing $16 something million) people threw babies into the air. 

Of course GK feels like the sort of online film culture darling where mental gymnastics could potentially go for the gold this side or an IP fanboy property if it stumbles or it’s mainstream appeal is limited. 

No one expected GK to do better than it did so "beheaded" line is hilarious. It performed in line with expectations, didn't overperform, and it certainly didn't behead considering at least 2 movies ranking higher. But Exhibitor Relations wanted to use "behead" word even if it didn't apply because cheap headlines do such wordplay.  Oh well we got some hearty laughs. :lol:

Personally, I'm miffed they didn't use "stillborn" for Stillwater. Like, c'mon, it would be perfect.

Edited by Valonqar

2 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Where the hell do production companies come up with these ideas?

Cocaine.

Jokes aside, it’s that industry’s addiction to IP regardless of said IP has been successful or not. I mean rebooting Batman or Planet of the Apes, at least they were proven commodities are one time. 

• Like 1