Borobudur

The Suicide Squad Weekend Thread: 26.6M Opening Weekend, 35M OS | Jungle Cruise 15.7 (-55%), Old 4.1 (-40%), Widow 4 (-38%), Stillwater 2.9 (-45%)

I also want to remind people that, as of right this moment, the biggest marketing kick off event is taking place in Las Vegas in a little over 2 weeks from now.  Expect to see a slew of new posters, trailers and marketing starting on Aug. 23rd.  

Just now, EmpireCity said:

In the last month, while the Delta variant has raged through the UK and now the United States, exactly ONE single wide release movie has changed its release date.  

That movie was the second fiddle dog related movie with an awful trailer and from the same studio.  

For everyone screaming everything is going to move, there are less films moving now than in normal non-pandemic conditions.  n fact, there have been at least a dozen wide release movies that have kicked off their fall marketing campaigns in the last week or so.

Yeah, I doubt anything big moves now. I’m sure the Delta surge is frightening for Americans right now, but if it behaves the way it has so far in the UK it’ll burn out and start declining soon. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RealLyre said:

30M or 25M are both not good results for this box office wise so nothing to get excited about. Another sacrifice from WB for temporary HBO Max growth that won’t do them any good in the long term since they don’t plan on keeping this release strategy for the near future. 

It was a bad idea from the start in regards to hbomax. Also the spin is crazy. I want this film to make 25 million and see how the trades spin it for their buddies at wb. I mean jungle cruise made 35 million one week before and the delta variant is a secondary excuse. I think that’s the thing about studios. When you have stubborn people at the top, they’ll just make excuses and spin it. Frustrating. Yeah, this weekend is nothing to celebrate. I don’t think we’ll get a suicide squad 3 but Gunn will do something else. 

The schedule for CinemaCon is also fully available to the public.  Sony is leading the opening 3 hour presentation and throwing the huge afterparty at Omnia night club.  

Last time they had people in spiderman costumes swinging from Mad Max poles in Omnia, so expect to have plenty of big news out of this.  

Anything can happen and things change, but as of now Cinemacon is why you haven't seen some of the fall/winter marketing happen yet.  Multiple other studios have large presentations.  Pretty much everyone but Disney, and they are showing Shang-Chi in place of it.  

• Like 7

42 minutes ago, john2000 said:

Also why the hell disney gave a 200 mill budget for jungle cruise ? i havent seen the movie yet but couldnt they have a budget at like 90 mill like jumanji ?

The last Jumanji cost 120M and looks way better than JC.

I wonder where Disney put so much money because it wasn't on the screen. The movie itself is pretty fun and entertainment, but it's visually all over the place.

This is a problem with MCU too, the CGI is almost always a little flat. TSS cost less than most recent MCU movies and have top notch VFX so i really wonder what happen inside of Disney.

• ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

Honestly i don't get these arguments of "why this movie was made?".

Having an big budget Rated R movie directed by a talent who actually did the movie he wants should be celebrated, especially considering how easy would be for a studio declined all that because the other one was bad.

The movie ended up being great, if it bombs okay, but it definitely should be made.

For the number itself, it's a fine preview result, WB statement it's funny but ultimatelly true.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 5

Btw folks, may I direct your attention The Bar™️

On 8/1/2021 at 3:27 PM, Lokis Legion said:

Anyway, I think I’m going to do the same thing for this movie so I can just keep calm and carry on. And my meltdown/crumbling/flop bar will be: $21,144,800

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Lokis Legion said:

Btw folks, may I direct your attention The Bar™️

We are pretty much locked to hit this, I think? If you were extremely pessimistic you could observe that 6.7M True Fri, with BW’s true sat drop and a -27% Sun would miss.    

But I’d go for more like 7.2-6.7-5 for 23M

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

43 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Honestly i don't get these arguments of "why this movie was made?".

Having an big budget Rated R movie directed by a talent who actually did the movie he wants should be celebrated, especially considering how easy would be for a studio declined all that because the other one was bad.

The movie ended up being great, if it bombs okay, but it definitely should be made.

For the number itself, it's a fine preview result, WB statement it's funny but ultimatelly true.

absolutely. 

WB screwed the movie over in terms of distribution this time. Rather than interfering during production and ruining the product like normal with DC, they’ve instead stood back and allowed a great one to be made. Then just given it away. Lol. 

Whatever it does this weekend, the HBO Max factor IS the story. If it comes in sub-$25 million maybe people might look back at the In the Heights performance slightly differently. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

BW got dragged for "only" hitting 80m OW.

Lots of rants against Disney for killing cinemas too.

What a difference a month makes.

yep. You and I have disagreed a bit in recent weeks as I’ve despaired over Disney’s Premium Access model.  Much of my anger is at just how much money they’ve thrown away when they didn’t need to.  

Yet that’s nothing on what AT&T have done with this HBO Max debacle. I mean, at least Disney are actually charging for the movies on PA, lol. 

The PA model is flawed 

The HBO Max model out and out trash. 

If TSS comes in sub-$25 million then I expect Neo and Trinity to conveniently vacate to 2022 within weeks. 

• Like 5

48 minutes ago, Lokis Legion said:

We are pretty much locked to hit this, I think? If you were extremely pessimistic you could observe that 6.7M True Fri, with BW’s true sat drop and a -27% Sun would miss.    

But I’d go for more like 7.2-6.7-5 for 23M

Yeah I can't see it missing the bar at this point. Even with poor walkups it would go over 7.

If Suicide Squad really does go sub-30, the only thing I can genuinely see moving into 2022 is Matrix, just so WB can take it off of it’s STUPID hbo max 2021 plan. 

... maybe Dune? If it stays where it is, I don’t see it making more than BR2049, probably even less. Anyone think Dune would move into 2022?

27 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

And to say both have around same budget.

Suicide Squad is doing horrible if it comes under 30m but people won't accept that. 

Doesn't matter if it's R rated or not. Opening below Jungle Cruise is bad in every way possible. 

• Like 2
  • Knock It Off 1

4 minutes ago, DAJK said:

If Suicide Squad really does go sub-30, the only thing I can genuinely see moving into 2022 is Matrix, just so WB can take it off of it’s STUPID hbo max 2021 plan. 

... maybe Dune? If it stays where it is, I don’t see it making more than BR2049, probably even less. Anyone think Dune would move into 2022?

Zero chance that Dune moves.  

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I think is too late to move Dune. But TSS really seal the celling for a HBO max release, WB's tentpole so far all open in the range of 25m-35m, regardless of what rating, reviews reception, genre or Covid-situation, So unless they "only" hope for 30-35m opening for Dune or Matrix 4 from the start, there is hardly any reasons to support the delay especially Dune

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Dune is not moving to 2022 no matter what happen, it's going to premiere in less than a month and they are focused on awards.

And honestly, they can delay Matrix but even that i'm not betting. I think people really overestimate how worried Warner is about losing money with this strategy, they always knew this was going to happen and they don't care because they are focusing on their platform which increased a lot.

Everything we are seeing now they knew last december when they make the decision.

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

it’s a matter of expectations. Box office forecasts overestimated the amount of money BW would make on OW. Plus, the movie had a large drop from Friday through Sunday. 

• Thanks 1