Borobudur

The Suicide Squad Weekend Thread: 26.6M Opening Weekend, 35M OS | Jungle Cruise 15.7 (-55%), Old 4.1 (-40%), Widow 4 (-38%), Stillwater 2.9 (-45%)

5 minutes ago, cax16 said:

This got review bombed on RT on the audience score? 

It reportedly was, yes:

There is obviously something afoot here.  A film with this kind of positive reaction not only from critics, but generally outside Snyder circles usually isn’t seen with good eyes among a faction of Snyder hardcores. Not all of Snyder fans are like this, but this type of behavior has been going on for time enough that I think it’s fair to say that it does more harm than good to DC films and potential fans. 

I watched on HBO Max because there is no way in hell that I’m risking my life or my loved ones over a superhero film, regardless how brilliant it is. The Suicide Squad is one of the best DC films of all time, it’s also one of the best films of the superhero genre in the last thirteen years. Shame that WB didn’t delayed this to a later date, with COVID under more control and without going day and date to HBO Max, at very least charge it for the premier access, I’d gladly pay for it just like I have done for Black Widow. Also, a shame that there are a despicable segment of "fans" hellbent on sucking the joy out of everything.

With COVID and HBO Max, a scenario where a lot of disenfranchised hardcores are the one showing up at the movie theaters and taking revenge on this simply because it’s an excellent superhero film unlike most of the DCEU films since Man of Steel becomes a recipe to whatever non sense this score is: weak box office, so-so ratings because of review bombing. Either way, it’s their loss. If this results on Gunn going back for good for Marvel Studios: good. Gunn deserves better than whatever goes on among a considerable part of Snyder fanbase, regardless if it’s not all of them. It’s also my loss, because I definitely hope for more Gunn stuff at WB for DC, but whatever scenario, I know I will be happy.

• ...wtf 1

Check back a bit in the thread, several long-timers had predicted B+ and due to the R rating it really is a fantastic score. The As/A- (cant recall off the top) of Deadpool are a very very rare exception. 

And Deadpool 1 was a better movie, in a different way too (imo.) This film will have great WOM and in a history repeating fashion could be like Batman Begins to Dark Knight on a smaller scale for growing in the next film. TSS paying the price ala BB for Batman & Robin. 

Edited by narniadis
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Alligator Zatt said:

It reportedly was, yes:

There is obviously something afoot here.  A film with this kind of positive reaction not only from critics, but generally outside Snyder circles usually isn’t seen with good eyes among a faction of Snyder hardcores. Not all of Snyder fans are like this, but this type of behavior has been going on for time enough that I think it’s fair to say that it does more harm than good to DC films and potential fans. 

I watched on HBO Max because there is no way in hell that I’m risking my life or my loved ones over a superhero film, regardless how brilliant it is. The Suicide Squad is one of the best DC films of all time, it’s also one of the best films of the superhero genre in the last thirteen years. Shame that WB didn’t delayed this to a later date, with COVID under more control and without going day and date to HBO Max, at very least charge it for the premier access, I’d gladly pay for it just like I have done for Black Widow. Also, a shame that there are a despicable segment of "fans" hellbent on sucking the joy out of everything.

With COVID and HBO Max, a scenario where a lot of disenfranchised hardcores are the one showing up at the movie theaters and taking revenge on this simply because it’s an excellent superhero film unlike most of the DCEU films since Man of Steel becomes a recipe to whatever non sense this score is: weak box office, so-so ratings because of review bombing. Either way, it’s their loss. If this results on Gunn going back for good for Marvel Studios: good. Gunn deserves better than whatever goes on among a considerable part of Snyder fanbase, regardless if it’s not all of them. It’s also my loss, because I definitely hope for more Gunn stuff at WB for DC, but whatever scenario, I know I will be happy.

Glad you liked the movie so much but I wouldn’t worry too much about Gunn and DC, I’m like 98% sure he’ll

be back for more. 

I thought the review bombing was more to do with IMDb but that happens to a lot  of movies on there.

I’ll judge for myself tomorrow, really excited to see it. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cap said:

I don't know.  I think a B+ checks out.

ETA:

And I doubt the people who were bombing RT actually went to a movie theater to answer CinemaScore's questions.

I will respectfully disagree. I legit think this film despite mild box office results will have excellent word of mouth because it’s easily a better film than any of the Deadpool’s films, and I love those, even the second one. And those never got a B+ Cinemascore, iirc. The reasons why a scenario with low box office turn out + DC hardcores attending the movie theaters more than a more general crowd is obvious, and the why is as petty as why it was review bombed on RT in the first place.

TSS got B+ cinemascore.

Deadpool and Deadpool 2 has A cinemascore. 

So , wom is good. Nothing extraordinary. I would have compared to other r rated movies but Deadpool is logically the best comparison in this regard. Also , Mortal Kombat had B+ cinemascore. So this is not good in that regard also.

• Like 1

Even the article he posted says "a small review bombing effort"... It was non existent by just some trolls, it has nothing to do with the cinemascore on top of that

Edited by Fox20

52 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Yeah i know who and what you are saying. Double standard and extremely inconsistent; so absurd that i did not bother replying and just rolled my eyes...

How is the circumstance of JC be close to the R-Rating and being on HBO max for free..

If anybody has a problem with the innocuous thing I said, it’s probably more to do with said person. Notice I didn’t say anything about TSS. 

18 minutes ago, cax16 said:

I thought it would get A- CS just from seeing reactions the last few days online and on here, maybe some stuff in the movie turned people off? I can’t comment cause I’m not seeing it till tomorrow.

Though I am not sure about if there is a correlation but Korea initial reaction did pointed at B+ ish score but yes me personally was expecting A-.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Madhuvan said:

TSS got B+ cinemascore.

Deadpool and Deadpool 2 has A cinemascore. 

So , wom is good. Nothing extraordinary. I would have compared to other r rated movies but Deadpool is logically the best comparison in this regard. Also , Mortal Kombat had B+ cinemascore. So this is not good in that regard also.

Im kinda surprised tbh. Some will make it worse than it really is, but heck the first Thor got a B+. It’ll be ok.

2 minutes ago, Alligator Zatt said:

I will respectfully disagree. I legit think this film despite mild box office results will have excellent word of mouth because it’s easily a better film than any of the Deadpool’s films, and I love those, even the second one. And those never got a B+ Cinemascore, iirc. The reasons why a scenario with low box office turn out + DC hardcores attending the movie theaters more than a more general crowd is obvious, and the why is as petty as why it was review bombed on RT in the first place.

Umm you are projecting your liking on everyone.

Deadpool movies has A cinemascore. B+ is not sign of excellent word of mouth whatsoever. Plus , even in our forum many though it was mid and many loved it. 

• Like 11

42 minutes ago, Alligator Zatt said:

I don’t want to get into trouble but it’s clear that it’s the same reason why this film got review bombed on Rotten Tomatoes. Disgusting.

Audience score is the last thing that will be tampered by fanboy. Samples for survey are random so any theatre can have it. It's not pre planned to sabotage them. 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

Mortal Kombat also has B+ , Deadpool both movies at A

Correct ;) hence my comment about the rarity of the A for R rated. And considering the wom that MK got (which is like totally opposite of TSS) I still don't know how it managed that. Totally expected a B/C on that one. 

Also, since we don't know the minute detail it could have just barely missed the A-. We will just never know. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Alligator Zatt said:

That’s just, like, your opinion, man

2 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

Umm you are projecting your liking on everyone.

Deadpool movies has A cinemascore. B+ is not sign of excellent word of mouth whatsoever. Plus , even in our forum many though it was mid and many loved it. 

I’ll abstain from commenting any further. If that’s what you think, awesome. But if you don’t see anything wrong with a critically praised film getting review bombed followed by this Cinemascore isn’t a tad sus with how a section of the DC fandom operates, by all means, be my guest. This isn’t even the first time. Birds of Prey faced a minor backlash, but it did. That wasn’t really by any means as good as this one though.