Borobudur

The Suicide Squad Weekend Thread: 26.6M Opening Weekend, 35M OS | Jungle Cruise 15.7 (-55%), Old 4.1 (-40%), Widow 4 (-38%), Stillwater 2.9 (-45%)

the pandemic is partly to blame but domestically at least it is not the full story. The HBO Max day and date release, the poor quality of the first one which turned people away from this one, and not having draws like Will Smith or Batman and Joker are the main culprits

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I think it's time we consider the cinema's role in all this.

Why haven't they changed the cinema-going experience in 50 years?

It's time to bring back INTERMISSION dammit. We can't sit through a 150 minute movie in one go. The people need to pee.

Also bring back a cartoon before every movie. That sounds fun.

• Thanks 3

Is Delta impacting the box office? Yes. I don't think that's up for debate anymore after THR posted their new survey.

Is Delta having a big impact on the box office? No. Moviegoing confidence has only dropped 10-12% from last month depending on the demographic, so while that's enough to shave 3-4M off TSS' weekend, it's not a significant factor. All August releases will have to contend with only 67-70% of moviegoers willing to go to the theater, and it's going to stay that way until cases subside. TSS has a multitude of factors involved in its performance, and Delta ranks lower on those impacts.

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, AJG said:

I think it's time we consider the cinema's role in all this.

Why haven't they changed the cinema-going experience in 50 years?

It's time to bring back INTERMISSION dammit. We can't sit through a 150 minute movie in one go. The people need to pee.

Also bring back a cartoon before every movie. That sounds fun.

Actually why no one consider to split the advertisement into two parts, one before the movie and another parts played during intermission. In my country, the ads run for 20min before the movie start, they can easily split them  

10 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Is Delta impacting the box office? Yes. I don't think that's up for debate anymore after THR posted their new survey.

Is Delta having a big impact on the box office? No. Moviegoing confidence has only dropped 10-12% from last month depending on the demographic, so while that's enough to shave 3-4M off TSS' weekend, it's not a significant factor. All August releases will have to contend with only 67-70% of moviegoers willing to go to the theater, and it's going to stay that way until cases subside. TSS has a multitude of factors involved in its performance, and Delta ranks lower on those impacts.

I don't think statistics like that scales linearly. Especially when there's a more readily accessible option available.

Not to say TSS was going to open strongly without Delta messing things up, but I don't think we can just point and say "Oh it only shaved off a few million" either. I'm still willing to go to a theater...but it doesn't mean I'm willing to go see every movie I want to see in the theater either, especially when there's a secondary means of doing so.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

The Suicide Squad only opened £1.5m less than both Black Widow and F9 here in the UK. 

Guess what we don’t have in the UK?  

HBOMax.

In all fairness F9 and BW burned demand on Wed & Thurs, so FSS gap is supposed to be small.

I don't recall for F9 but BW had 2 matches impacting on OD & Sunday.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

And here I am wishing Intermission need tp be cancelled in India

I need a 15 minute intermission for EVERY movie.

I need the toilet and I need to buy more snacks at the concessions. It's a win-win.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, charlie Jatinder said:

In all fairness F9 and BW burned demand on Wed & Thurs, so FSS gap is supposed to be small.

I don't recall for F9 but BW had 2 matches impacting on OD & Sunday.

They’re also rated a 12 here, TSS is 15, no one under 15 allowed, even accompanied. 

It shows HBOMax is having a huge impact. 

26 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

It's also about how the factors play together. The rise of Delta creates a presumed incentive for the choice to use HBO Max for no additional charge, compared to the sizable extra fee for D+ premium access.

The factors don't exist in a vacuum.

• Like 3

I'm definitely sensing another global meltdown like what happened back in March of last year. The inexpensive and low-stakes films will likely stay where they are since their budgets are low enough that they won't be affected too much. The blockbusters on the other hand? Everyone except WB is vacating this year, methinks. Maybe Venom 2 goes to December, still coming out this year. It should appetize Spider-Man fans for now, since it's clear we won't be seeing or hearing anything from No Way Home anytime soon.

• Disbelief 1

2 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I'm definitely sensing another global meltdown like what happened back in March of last year. The inexpensive and low-stakes films will likely stay where they are since their budgets are low enough that they won't be affected too much. The blockbusters on the other hand? Everyone except WB is vacating this year, methinks. Maybe Venom 2 goes to December, still coming out this year. It should appetize Spider-Man fans for now, since it's clear we won't be seeing or hearing anything from No Way Home anytime soon.

there is talk for a teaser being show in cinemacon as for the rest i expect some delays however with the vaccination rates keep rising at least in the major markets, cases start decling possible this month if covid follows the trend , and the fact that for now many studios keep their dates unlike what happened last year, i dont see another global meltdown 

I'm fully behind 15-minute intermissions for anything over 2 hours. These days I basically have to use the bathroom right before a movie starts to not feel the need to pee towards the home stretch of it, and a break in the middle would help a lot.

Edited by cookie