WrathOfHan

Weekend Thread: Candyman 22.37M OW | Free Guy 13.5M, PAW Patrol 6.6M, Jungle Cruise 5M

The real problem, like it was mentioned here, are the non-IP/non-horror/non special effects driven movies. Literally nothing has shown any signs of recovery in that side. Respect flopped, last weekend was a disaster with 3 smaller movies tanking atrociously. Family stuff isn't doing great either.

I think 2021 will be carried by the big blockbusters, but we need to see some recovery for the other type of stuff in 2022.

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Lokis Legion said:

Anyway, gotta go to bed. Numbers for this weekend, where the story is Candyman, are gonna roll in soon so I am happy to wrap this tangent up here:  

50M 3day would be, like, okay I guess. Better/high end of many recent expectations

60M would be pretty strong

70M would be excellent

80M would be extremely slammin’  

It’s probably going for like 69+- 6, though I would love an upside surprise.

I'm personally leaning towards O/U 80m for the 3 day, could be very wrong but a few factors below: 

I feel Canada could over index due to Simu being from Canada and having a popular local show (Kim's Convenience) + higher percentage of Chinese Canadians vs. Chinese Americans. 

Most big films have trended up over the weekend recently (Jungle Cruise, Free Guy, Don't Breathe 2 and Candyman.) 

4 Day weekend makes Sunday like a 2nd Saturday. 

Strong WOM from those early screenings.

No PA.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

I'm looking forward to walking into a 12-16 screen theater on Oct. 22nd and seeing a lineup of something like this....

Dear Evan Hansen

Many Saints of Newark

Addams Family 2

No Time To Die

Halloween Kills x 2

Venom 2 x 2

The Last Duel

Ron's Gone Wrong

Dune x 2

Jackass Forever

If you are looking for $100m+ weekends again, there is exactly what you need. It's beautiful.  

Hell, the 29th will be really good as well between Soho (15-20M+) and My Hero Academia (7-9M with less theaters probably). Even if Early Nov remains lighter, the holdovers will be playing well into the month.