MrPink

Oppenheimer | 2024 Academy Award Winner for Best Picture and Best Director

2 hours ago, cannastop said:

Inside the ‘Oppenheimer’ Imax 70mm Craze: Fans Crossing State Lines, the Search for New Projectors and More

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/oppenheimer-imax-70mm-craze-projectors-1235697085/

Ah, I just posted this in the weekdays thread lol. Extremely impressive. Between Oppenheimer’s wild success, the new Imax film cameras coming out, and the CEO expressing interest in pushing 70mm more, hopefully this can bring a bit of a renaissance of the format out. It’s too costly and difficult to ever be as mainstream as digital Imax, but there’s definitely potential to have more.

Even with successful 70mm run, the number of 70mm IMAX theaters actually drop with each Nolan's movie.

Back in 2014 when Interstellar debut, there are 42 IMAX 70mm theaters in NA but that number dropped to 31 during Dunkirk's time. Move forward to Oppie we left with 25 across NA. In overseas, the number is dropping even faster. And that is IMAX 70mm, I believe the number of regular 70mm or even 35mm screen is dropping even faster without headline glamour. The consistency of BO return just isn't here yet to bring back the film. Without sustainable economics benefit, it is hard to retain 70mm or even 35mm locations. Nolan may soon find that he has nowhere to play his preferred format.      

• Sad 1

56 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Even with successful 70mm run, the number of 70mm IMAX theaters actually drop with each Nolan's movie.

Back in 2014 when Interstellar debut, there are 42 IMAX 70mm theaters in NA but that number dropped to 31 during Dunkirk's time. Move forward to Oppie we left with 25 across NA. In overseas, the number is dropping even faster. And that is IMAX 70mm, I believe the number of regular 70mm or even 35mm screen is dropping even faster without headline glamour. The consistency of BO return just isn't here yet to bring back the film. Without sustainable economics benefit, it is hard to retain 70mm or even 35mm locations. Nolan may soon find that he has nowhere to play his preferred format.      

He'll always have Arizona Mills 😈

1 hour ago, keysersoze123 said:

This is huge as I feel this will ensure the format will not die. I am hoping some other auteur director also makes a spectacle for this format. We need 3 movies every year which target the format so that we can build on this momentum. Plus this creates jobs for projectors 🙂

Still need more people to promote this format. I know a lot of directors use IMAX cameras but they don't seem to be as vocal about it as Nolan

2 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

This is huge as I feel this will ensure the format will not die. I am hoping some other auteur director also makes a spectacle for this format. We need 3 movies every year which target the format so that we can build on this momentum. Plus this creates jobs for projectors 🙂

Tarantino should do it. If Nolan can do a 99% dialogue movie with a good amount of IMAX film footage, Quentin could do something similar. 

• Like 1

I think it's pretty much confirmed that Nolan will go to Beijing and Shanghai to promote Oppenheimer. Such a shame that there's a strike right now. If RDJ can promote in China, he could probably singlehandedly raise the boxoffice by 10% with his Iron Man influence lol.

3 hours ago, eeetooki said:

I think it's pretty much confirmed that Nolan will go to Beijing and Shanghai to promote Oppenheimer. Such a shame that there's a strike right now. If RDJ can promote in China, he could probably singlehandedly raise the boxoffice by 10% with his Iron Man influence lol.

Nolan has really put in the (air)miles to promote this. He more than earned his %.

• Like 2