Eric Duncan

NO TIME TO DIE WEEKEND THREAD | Bond 56M, Venom 32M

31 minutes ago, Chicago said:

Yeah they have the same Bond girl from the last one aswell as having Waltz in the trailer. It seemed to close to spectre for it not to be associated with it. I'm British and I'm yet to see this because I refuse to pay to watch Spectre first 

The last one was six years ago, probably anyone who didn't watch that movie wouldn't remember much about Waltz or the Bond girl, I know I didn't.

We can continue speculating and spitballing. We'll just keep repeating same ideas. But @Cmasterclayis correct that Bond simply struggles to appeal to millennials and they make up majority of box office. 

Bond is a 60 year old British franchise with many ups and downs. The movies aren't memes that go viral like MCU (Venom, especially) which eliminates the event urgency and cool factor in immediately seeing them. They're not water cooler movies for most part that spark huge discussion. The most discussion Bond gets is whenever there's a recasting. 

It's sweet Craig received a proper farewell but Bond has never been a truly interconnected franchise and directly following Spectre, a divisive film, boxed them into a corner. Of course we've had a delaying pandemic but that film was 6 years ago.

I did think 70m was on the table but that was my own false set of expectations. The "final conclusion" clearly was not a big enough novelty selling point. And the marketing lacked the fresh action of Mission Impossible.

Not to mention, the 160 minute runtime is a huge ask

• Like 7

42 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

It was promoted as more of the same as Spectre - 5 years later.  Fine for countries Spectre did well in, not for one where it wasn't well liked.  There was nothing in the marketing that showed what was fresh or different or would get back the people Spectre turned off or appeal to new ones.  

Bond is huge in Europe but the U.S. is still Bond's biggest single territory and Bond decreasing 20% in it's opening after Spectre already decreased 20% from Skyfall is worrisome going forward.  With a 3x multi (better than Spectre's 2.84) it'll sit at #21 of 26 adjusted for inflation   You think EON and MGM aren't currently dissecting what went wrong and what they're going to have to change for the next Bond actor and film?

There's number of franchises that do what Bond does and that's not spying. We see less of spying everywhere (including Bond, BW, MI) and more crazy stunts, jet set locations and gadgets employed to thwart OTT villainous plots and doomsday devices. It isn't even the franchise with the coolest car (that's F&F).  In short, Bond lost what used to be the series uniqueness. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I mean say if 20yo in 2006 liked the new bond, even they are above 35 now, so that is that.

And if 8-14 year's old were obsess with Golden eye 007 on the N64 they are now 32-38 (I could imagine that in part why Pierce name is getting traction).

Has for spy work it is such in change with technological advancement and the explosion of state surveillance:

https://thehill.com/policy/national-security/575384-cia-admits-to-losing-dozens-of-informants-around-the-world-nyt

A bit like jet fighter, if you do not set your spy movie in the past, it could be hard to make it about spying.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

We can continue speculating and spitballing. We'll just keep repeating same ideas. But @Cmasterclayis correct that Bond simply struggles to appeal to millennials and they make up majority of box office. 

Bond is a 60 year old British franchise with many ups and downs. The movies aren't memes that go viral like MCU (Venom, especially) which eliminates the event urgency and cool factor in immediately seeing them. They're not water cooler movies for most part that spark huge discussion. The most discussion Bond gets is whenever there's a recasting. 

It's sweet Craig received a proper farewell but Bond has never been a truly interconnected franchise and directly following Spectre, a divisive film, boxed them into a corner. Of course we've had a delaying pandemic but that film was 6 years ago.

I did think 70m was on the table but that was my own false set of expectations. The "final conclusion" clearly was not a big enough novelty selling point. And the marketing lacked the fresh action of Mission Impossible.

Not to mention, the 160 minute runtime is a huge ask

Yet millennials are showing up in other countries. 

Plus it opened to almost the same number in the US as the last Mission: Impossible, in a pandemic. 

We really are now at a point where some of you guys are analysing business as usual, when it plain isn’t.  

Don’t get me wrong, it’s great we’re miles away from the doom and gloom of merely a few weeks ago. But NTTD is doing great. A likely $700 million is an amazing step forward from where the business has been for the past nearly two years.  It’s pretty much the biggest hit we’ve had (China domestic films aside) since TROS. 

Going back to your millennials point, if they’re not showing up in the numbers they should be - therefore they aimed future instalments at them….well what happens if that then alienates the fans all over the world that consistently turn out in gargantuan numbers every movie? 

Seriously, the silence on here as to how much money this has made internationally is deafening. 

Edited by wildphantom
  • Like 8

From a non-fan perspective (I like Bonds fine but I’m not really caught up in them), I think for the next batch of movies, hire some younger, action-aggressive directors (Gareth Evans or so) and bring in regionally-famous action costars depending on what parts of the world the movies take place. Like if it’s Vietnam and Indonesia, get Veronica Ngo and Iko Uwais. Embrace some of the cutting edge action that’s happening globally while keeping the elegance and prestige of Bond and his tux. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

From a non-fan perspective (I like Bonds fine but I’m not really caught up in them), I think for the next batch of movies, hire some younger, action-aggressive directors (Gareth Evans or so) and bring in regionally-famous action costars depending on what parts of the world the movies take place. Like if it’s Vietnam and Indonesia, get Veronica Ngo and Iko Uwais. Embrace some of the cutting edge action that’s happening globally while keeping the elegance and prestige of Bond and his tux. 

To your point, I think that any franchise in Hollywood would do well if they utilized anyone from the Squid Game trio (Lee Jung Jae, Park Hae Soo, Jung Ho Yeon) + the Slapchad (Gong Yoo). They are so iconic now both regionally (all but newcomer Jung Ho Yeon were big stars before SG) and worldwide. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Yet millennials are showing up in other countries. 

Plus it opened to almost the same number in the US as the last Mission: Impossible, in a pandemic. 

We really are now at a point where some of you guys are analysing business as usual, when it plain isn’t.  

Don’t get me wrong, it’s great we’re miles away from the doom and gloom of merely a few weeks ago. But NTTD is doing great. A likely $700 million is an amazing step forward from where the business has been for the past nearly two years.  It’s pretty much the biggest hit we’ve had (China domestic films aside) since TROS. 

Going back to your millennials point, if they’re not showing up in the numbers they should be - therefore they aimed future instalments at them….well what happens if that then alienates the fans all over the world that consistently turn out in gargantuan numbers every movie? 

Seriously, the silence on here as to how much money this has made internationally is deafening. 

Bond is a huge factor in other countries like UK. American millennials are much different than around the world and have different preferences and viewing habits. 

I'm not denying it's doing very good. I just think it's undeniable how there is an American disparity especially with younger diverse audiences than anywhere else. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Bond is a huge factor in other countries like UK. American millennials are much different than around the world and have different preferences and viewing habits. 

I'm not denying it's doing very good. I just think it's undeniable how there is an American disparity especially with younger diverse audiences than anywhere else. 

you might well be right. 
I don’t think this is a new thing with Bond though. I just think studios need to be careful about changing things to appease a young US audience, when there is a monster worldwide audience delighted with it the way it is.  

Does anybody really doubt that outside a pandemic NTTD likely closes in on $1 billion?  The series is in great shape. Although I’ve no idea what direction they’ll go in for the next one. 

All that said, we might see some very nice legs for Bond in the coming weeks stateside. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

This is a great point about American disparity. The market was singled out in "how to attract it" way because it's still the biggest market for Bond. Even when audience is ho-hum about it, the boxoffice is bigger than all the UK passion.  

@wildphantom

I don’t think this is a new thing with Bond though. I just think studios need to be careful about changing things to appease a young US audience, when there is a monster worldwide audience delighted with it the way it is. 

Yep, this is something Disney Star wars struggled with. They thought that Rey would save SW as in attract new audience and delight the old one but it was father/son duo Din and Grogu that did it. And I don't think they had the "appease a new young audience" calculation here that was evident when they created Rey. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

In good news, Peacock Premium releases haven't suffered as much as HBO Max releases in the 2nd half of the year, probably b/c folks found value and subscribed to HBO Max, but no one still wants Peacock Premium...

So, there's hope...

I've seen plenty of ads for the Peacock Original based off one of Dan Brown's books, and I let out a good, hearty laugh seeing that. Dan Brown hasn't been relevant in like 12 years. It would be like if HBO Max dumped in 100s of millions of dollars into a 300 show. You missed the boat a long time ago buddy

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

To your point, I think that any franchise in Hollywood would do well if they utilized anyone from the Squid Game trio (Lee Jung Jae, Park Hae Soo, Jung Ho Yeon) + the Slapchad (Gong Yoo). They are so iconic now both regionally (all but newcomer Jung Ho Yeon were big stars before SG) and worldwide. 

You've made me realise I need a bond film that somehow includes Song Kang-Ho

15 minutes ago, Eric Safin said:

I've seen plenty of ads for the Peacock Original based off one of Dan Brown's books, and I let out a good, hearty laugh seeing that. Dan Brown hasn't been relevant in like 12 years. It would be like if HBO Max dumped in 100s of millions of dollars into a 300 show. You missed the boat a long time ago buddy

NCIS is one of the biggest ongoing hits for CBS. The Olds love Dan Brown, I figure Peacock is fine there, in that regard at least. 

2 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

one thing’s for sure…. WB is likely looking at the Venom and Bond numbers… sobbing, on an empty Nolan backlot. 

I'm sobbing too cause their foolishness will cut into Dune's dom opening. But it's going strong OS from only 32 markets so joke's on WB. Pt 2 is happening. They'd leave money on the table if they didn't make it. 

3 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

You've made me realise I need a bond film that somehow includes Song Kang-Ho

Indeed! And considering how big dramas are around the world, Hollywood could cast from that market forever. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m not sure how big of an impact it would make but if the new 007 video game by IO interactive is good that would at least get some younger eyes on the IP. (young American eyes hopefully)

• Like 1