Eric Prime

Weekend Thread (10/15-17) | Halloween Kills 4.85M Previews, Last Duel 350K

37 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

HBO Max  > Peacock Premium, by a whole lot. 

That is true. I only have premium for Halloween kills and live TV for football. I would say though that they have a good selection of horror films compared to some other streaming services. I'm not sure if peacock will have longevity for me whereas my personal 3 most used are Disney+, Paramount+, and HBO max

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Given that my parents were massive stoner hippies that made me read the Hobbit as a kid, I'm probably the wrong person to answer this question 🤣 I'd have to see a comparison of book sales or something.

Well, I’m not gonna claim Dune sold more copies because it most assuredly hasn’t (not close). But it’s probably one of the most famous SF novels and it’s sold something like 20 million copies. 

I'm watching Halloween Kills and Venom 2 as a double feature at a drive in theater. I've always wondered how they count that at the box office when you see 2 movies at the same price like that. 

What's funny isn't daughter, who will only be 4 here in a few weeks, loves watching scary movies, and Michael Myers is her favorite 😆 so this will be her first trip to the drive in. Her first movie theater trip was earlier this year for the Paw Patrol movie. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Well, I’m not gonna claim Dune sold more copies because it most assuredly hasn’t (not close). But it’s probably one of the most famous SF novels and it’s sold something like 20 million copies. 

The Dune novels are not as massive asthe  LOTR/Hobbit  novels are, but Dune is one of the best known Sci Fi novels out there, and it's not like it some obscure novel that only people in Europe read like some here seem to think.

Edited by dudalb

28 minutes ago, Last Man Standing said:

They're a bit meandering by modern lit standards, but calling them unreadable is...a take.

For al ot of people, anything where somebody is not killed or something not destroyed every couple of pages is long and dull.

Actulaly,when LOTR was published ithe mid fifties,one of the criticism was it meandered too much.

As far as DUNE box office goes,with it's price tag it has to do more then just "OK" to get into the black.

Edited by dudalb

I mean, a Max release could do like 200M+ OW. If Endgame had a max distribution maybe 250+? The issue is not some theoretical ceiling so much as what the nonMax OW would be and how much percentage hit that style of movie takes (GvK, Dune, and M4 should be hurt less than your reminiscence, macho, Newark, Richard stuff)

31 minutes ago, Last Man Standing said:

They're a bit meandering by modern lit standards, but calling them unreadable is...a take.

When you start with LOTR book 2, b/c you think "the 1st movie was good, this can't be that bad" and you start reading the Ents, and more Ents, and more Ents, and it doesn't end, yeah, they are unreadable...

Later, I found out from my sis that you're just supposed to see the word Ent and skip pages til you don't see Ent anymore...yeah, I don't read books like I watch tv, fast-forwarding through the commercials and credits to get to the good stuff...if you need me to skip pages to make your book readable, your book is not readable...

Instead, it's like the tweets that explained the Facebook crash a few weeks ago...words that were English but were not readable in a sensible way to a normal person:)...(although, I did look up the words and then got a layman's understanding, which is better than you can do for the Ents, b/c you just don't care about them:)...

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

I adore the books but my wife gave up after a long while trying to push through TTT. It’s more than fair to say they’re a complete turn-off to some folks. 

I get the feeling some people just do not like to read ,period.

I like the PJ LOTR films a lot, (the Hobbit films are a different story) but the idea they are a substitute for the books is jut plain wrong. you just don't get the incredible depth of the world Tolkien created in the movies...evern the Extended versions.

Not that the novels are perfect. I always skip over the Bombadil chapters...easily for me the weakest part of the novel.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Yeah not close.  LOTR is the #4 best selling book of all time.  It's sold 155 million copies, 55m of those after the release of the films.  The Hobbit is #9 at 110m.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

My mother was the same.  After the first film she started reading the books and gave up while watching the movies over and over.

This does not compute though for someone who's read The Appendixes, The Silmarillion,  12 volumes of Unfinished Tales et al :ph34r:

Not to mention "The History Of Middle Earth"......

I can't think of any other author where the rough drafts of his books were published for a mass audinece a sold pretty well.

You get lot of PHD thesis in literature that go into the writing of novel, compare different manuscripts, etc but they don't get mass publication.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

What's the betting that House of Gucci makes more on its opening day than Last Duel does for its OW? 

That would be like a 5M OD. Not hard lol. 

1 minute ago, TalismanRing said:

Yeah not close.  LOTR is the #4 best selling book of all time.  It's sold 155 million copies, 55m of those after the release of the films.  The Hobbit is #9 at 110m.

What are the three that beat it.

The Bible would probably be the first, not surprised if the Koran was one of the top 3.

10 minutes ago, dudalb said:

What are the three that beat it.

The Bible would probably be the first, not surprised if the Koran was one of the top 3.

Bingo. 

Bible, Quotations from Chairman Mao, Koran

Though just found another list which excludes those three (religious and political) and has Don Quixote (500m) and Tale of Two Cities (200m) above it

https://jamesclear.com/best-books/best-selling

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1

I always preferred the more straightforward fairytale nature of The Hobbit over LOTR but I mean LOTR is still the benchmark for fantasy literature and the same can apply to those movies. Still makes me a bit sad we didn't get a more faithful adaptation of The Hobbit that was closer to the tone of the book.