Cap

Eternals Weekend Thread: 71M OW DOM, 90M OS | Dune 7.6M (-50%), NTTD 6.2M, Venom 4.5M, Spencer 2.1M

13 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Doesn't that seem high with a B Cinemascore. 2.5x legs 🤔

I am thinking that the lack of competition plus Thanksgiving will help with legs. I don't expect anything to do much until NWH. The biggest threat is Ghostbusters (which I personally think it will open with 25M). Encanto and Gucci go after different target audiences.

The funny part of the stupid SW discussion is that I genuinely think a big Star Wars movie could be one of the things to rejuvenate the domestic box office, even moreso than anything Marvel could offer. Marvel of course is the juggernaut worldwide, but SW has a tight grip domestically. Shame there's no SW movie on the horizon.

Edit: specifically, I think SW could both convince older crowds to return to theatres AND excite younger crowds in a way most pandemic movies have failed to do thus far.

Edited by Starphanluke

51 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

I’m not sure how worth it is keeping the convo going: I’m super conservative here and you guys are really gung ho. I don’t think we’re going to convince each other so in like 5-6 weeks we’ll find out. 

this is way too rational. Can’t compute. I must fight with @Eternal Legion over NWH until we are both on our last breath. 

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

3 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Sir this is 2021, please go back to 2017 otherwise TVA may prune you 

Just trying to predict SMH accurately. If you’re from the future maybe you can tell me whether I got close.

8 minutes ago, Eternal Legion said:

Just trying to predict SMH accurately. If you’re from the future maybe you can tell me whether I got close.

I am afraid I can't tell you. That may temper the absolute point, which may destroy fabric of time and reality.

Please return to your time ASAP.

• Haha 1

Just now, charlie Jatinder said:

I am afraid I can't tell you. That may temper the absolute point, which may destroy fabric of time and reality.

Please return to your time ASAP.

I’m sorry, but I find this unacceptable. I will go consume eldritch horrors for a few centuries instead.

Look I would love to be proven wrong here, and I'm sure this is just me going "expect the worst, hope for the best", but everything from how the current market is looking and acting, as well as how much larger and potent the streaming/VOD market is here in the US compared to other countries just reads to me that NWH will do ~350M, and I think that's still a really good and wonderful and important milestone to get to and we shouldn't just discredit that because it would do more in 2019.

Just now, Eternal Legion said:

I’m sorry, but I find this unacceptable. I will go consume eldritch horrors for a few centuries instead.

Ohh ffs. Yes you are right.

Now don't do that what you said you will. On that note, also convey to Feige to stick to formula for Eternals.

8 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Now don't do that what you said you will.

Are you sure? I have this weird feeling all of existence might be destroyed a killer robot if I decide not to.   

8 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

On that note, also convey to Feige to stick to formula for Eternals.

Nah, I’m happy with the results of the sacred timeline there 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TigerPaw said:

To be fair; this is post End Game and the MCU brand is stronger than before. 

We also have Angelina Jolie’s debut in the MCU.

I am not sure actually how many MCU fans worldwide are comic book readers? Like I don’t think there is a huge difference in terms of “recognisability” between GoTG and Eternals for the GA (before their respective movies were released). I think people know it’s MCU and they will give it a chance and watch it.

If Eternals had better reviews (I.e above 90% on RT), I think more GA will be curious and I think a better OW will be expected. The obscurity of these characters (for an origin film) at this stage isn’t really a factor IMO, at least for the MCU. 

Well I think Marvel made sure previous introductions to C-list characters were fun. Making a slow, dull movie with D-list characters is asking for trouble.

Also it's unfair to put the Eternals on the same tier as Ant-Man, Captain Marvel or Guardians.

Even the average Marvel fan couldn't name the Eternals by name.