Cap

Eternals Weekend Thread: 71M OW DOM, 90M OS | Dune 7.6M (-50%), NTTD 6.2M, Venom 4.5M, Spencer 2.1M

27 minutes ago, Jamiem said:

Haven't been on this weekend and catching up looks like audience scores overseas are meh and B cinemascore backs that up I guess people didn't like it very much. 

MCU long term should be fine though lots of sequels coming up with new characters relegated to Disney+ (Ms. Marvel, Moon Knight, She Hulk, Iron Heart) which should take the heat off them to 'perform'

Hell even after the sequels all the new characters introduced in movies are known to the general audience through past films (Blade, Fantastic Four and presumably X-Men) Makes me wonder when the next time we will have a completely new introduction on the film side like Shang-Chi or Eternals, might not be for a long time. 

Really?

My Dune vs Eternals manifesto:

They are both long movies that came out recently which people wanted to see in imax

Their directors like each other’s work   

They will both be folded into the Letoverse in due time

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Inceptionzq said:

Wow I can’t believe that is the lowest rated MCU movie from critics and audiences… Initial reaction is a top 5 MCU.

It’s properly divisive! The benefits of a creative-over-commerce producer who puts directors first ;) 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

Impressed by how many people I've seen irl talk about Eternals's bad reception. Maybe the first time in ages I've seen bad reception spread so fast irl.

They were talking about bad reviews and stuff ("bad reception"), or they saw the movie and didn't like it?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Impressed by how many people I've seen irl talk about Eternals's bad reception. Maybe the first time in ages I've seen bad reception spread so fast irl.

Not suprising, the MCU is the most consistent franchise ever in terms of critic and audience reviews, this is one hell of an interesting outlier. Who knows, morbid curiousity may help balance out the loss of those who are deterred by the negative reviews haha

I've seen some people mention the tepid response overseas. Eternals is rated significantly higher than other recent films with mixed reviews (like V2 and WW84) in places like France, Spain and Germany (based on Allocine, Filmaffinity and Filmstarts respectively), also much better than Captain Marvel or Birds of Prey. I would say the response overseas is much better than I expected and certainly better than how people seem to be characterizing it (comparing U.S. critic/audience metrics to those in the countries I previously mentioned). Digging into the reviews (in France and in the US), I'm seeing a good number of critics who generally give Marvel films negative reviews give this one positive reviews (while MCU supporters are more mixed). I'm going to dig into the data a lot more to see if, from a statistical perspective, Eternals is appealing to a different group of critics than those who favored previous Marvel films

Edited by Justin4125
  • Like 2

eternals dom performance is certainly dissapointing, no doubt about that but anyone who says that mcu is in trouble or that marvel will abandon that franchise  is completly wrong.The dom numbers arent good at all on the other hand the os numbers are a whole differen situation as its doing  very good there,overall the final total will probably be nowhere near some of us thought at least domestically speaking, however it should still have a decent final total and make enough both in box office and ancillaries to break even.That would be decent enough for marvel imo.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thedast said:

Wait so Dune, the 3rd remake of a book, that cut off the story before it got good, and Eternals, the new property, both had just okay/divisive WOM despite big budgets and respected directors, and Dune did much less numbers and was spun as some magic success when the only notable thing that came from it were memes about sand and its poster, and Eternals doing 70-ish is considered this massive disaster that means the MCU is in trouble?

Feel like I'm taking crazy pills here but agendas gonna agenda I guess. Not saying any deserved to fail or succeed but it's weird watching how hard these narratives, no matter how cynical, really has people in a chokehold. 

Expectation is really what makes success.

I remember back in 2003 when a stupid WB wreck, can't remember which one, went publicly and said that they expected a billion dollar film out of Man of Steel, and given the hype with each (fantastic) trailer and poster and it coming after Nolan's Batman films and expected to kick off the DCEU...audiences were ready for the second coming. It was insane. And then the reviews came out and the were mixed. And audiences liked it but it was no TDK level. And top of all that it made 640M. It was considered a disaster. But 9f you look at it the film did launch a franchise, it brought money back to the studio, its home media sales were very good and almost 10 years later it has a sizeable following (myself included).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, charlie Jatinder said:

yeah worst case it shall happen. most likely 72.

Need 2.5x legs to keep Top 5 Marvel 2021 total. weekend will be safe.

while the reception is mixed at best, it doesnt have that much competition and thanksgiving is coming could also give it a boost.We will know for sure by next weekend anyways.

About germany:

Filmstarts has an eternals average userscore of 3,4. Google score is at 3,7 and kino.de score is at 3,8., moviejones is at 6.1

Kino.de has the most scores and an 3,7 average. It has 238 audience ratings. 65 of them are 1 or 2 stars so rotten, this would be 27%. So an audience score of 73%.

Venom 2 is above nearly all of the eternals scores. It has an av score of 3,7 an filmstarts, 4,5 at google score and 4,2 on kino.de. The moviejones rating is lower with 5,9. Critical reception seems to be worse atleast from the sites i see an google searches, not gonna do a deep dive on youtube.

Wonder Woman 1984 has far as i seen, worse user ratings but an better critical reception than eternals.

Edited by Coldbird
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Eternal Legion said:

My Dune vs Eternals manifesto:

They are both long movies that came out recently which people wanted to see in imax

Their directors like each other’s work   

They will both be folded into the Letoverse in due time

I could see Leto playing the Padishah Emperor.