Cap

Eternals Weekend Thread: 71M OW DOM, 90M OS | Dune 7.6M (-50%), NTTD 6.2M, Venom 4.5M, Spencer 2.1M

26 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

because he was off planet when he saw those 14,000,605 futures, and was dusted off-planet only.

he returned to Earth in 2023 after Pandemic was over, which thanks to 50% population dusted, didn't do much damage.

Now, I understand why Avengers Endgame took place after 5 years because MCU knew that they can not save the world and 50% of world population got killed. Thanks Charlie.

2 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I did have the bold "Eternals will never make $100M DOM OW prediction" months ago, so I'm doing well on supers predictions lately:)...

100 mill ow, was never and never should be guarantee only 2 mcu origins ever have crossed that line and that was black panther and captain marvel, not every movie need to cross 100 mill ow to be a success.

marvel isnt know to be reactionary guys, if the movie was a bomb and it actually was going to loose money then i would maybe agree but from the moment that thats probably not gonna happen then i would say no.Being a dissapointment and being a flop (cough solo cough) are 2 very distinct things.

8 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

So, now to be a bummer to the film's fans...but Eternals isn't getting a direct theatrical sequel with its full cast with this open, this reception, and this budget.

Disney had Solo...it did about as well, with about as well reception...and it killed all the theatrical sequels and spin-offs for that part of its universe.

This for the MCU is like that for the SWU.  You'll see the most popular or "needed for plot" Eternal or 2 show up in the movies, you might get some D+ TV shows, but you are never gonna see Eternals 2 - the baggage would be too epic.

I'm assuming Deadline has not reported demo breakdowns for this movie yet (even though they did for Spencer) b/c they were also problematic for Disney's MCU 4 quad draw...and if you are missing those, you get flushed for good.

I mean, maybe you get an Eternals after the big universe reboot...but it would take that (and they just did a universe reboot, so it will be awhile).

Again, you have to know the company and its expectations...and when Disney planned this as a full theatrical with this cast, they did not list "it will break even theatrically" as its planned theatrical revenue, especially after making the non-PVOD decision.  They did also not list "less theatrical revenue that Black Widow or Shang Chi" when they made the call.  This was the "pimp slot" Covid lull open with practically all theatrical open...this is a major disappointment for Disney corporate...

Solo had far BETTER critical and audience reception (and likely domestic BO). I really think anyone who says a direct sequel to Eternals is coming anytime soon is kidding themselves. Again, Marvel will find a way to continue these plot threads in other projects, but I just don't see an Eternals 2 at any point in the near future. 

• Like 2
  • Disbelief 1

If it weren't for the reviews, Eternals would have crossed $100m easily. The underwhelming reviews spread like wildfire with so many publications worldwide using clickbait-y headlines that it was the worst reviewed MCU film.

Shame, but in this day and age, I understand why studios would not want to release films a week  or two early. If the gamble does not pay off, it shows up in the numbers.

• Like 2

Just now, john2000 said:

100 mill ow, was never and never should be guarantee only 2 mcu origins ever have crossed that line and that was black panther and captain marvel, not every movie need to cross 100 mill ow to be a success.

So, was Venom over Bond a better one:)...

Look, I know you don't agree on my analysis for Eternals 2, but when you have the entire Marvel catalogue of comics now at your disposal and you have what this was, you move on.

It's actually worse for Eternals b/c no one LOVES anything about it.  Even with some of the lower rated Marvels, people loved the actor/actress as the character, or they loved the villain, or they loved the humor...this movie gets no love for anything.  It's get a lot of "it was good or not that bad" - that's nothing to rally a sequel around...

For the record, I had that exact feedback for Solo - I don't think that movie was as bad as stated, and I actually mostly enjoyed it...but I knew it destroyed that possible future theatrical world on open b/c there was nothing I loved...and if I was one of the minority that found value in the movie, but had nothing I loved to drive me to the next one...and the movie cost a ton and made not a lot theatrically, it was getting no sequels...and it hasn't...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VenomXXR said:

I'll take that bet. 

if you have seen the movie then you know that the cast wont be the same and probably smaller, again guys explain to me why fast 9 with the same budget opened to 70 mill ow and eternals with that ow its considered like that huge disaster that marvel wont even touch again .....

5 hours ago, Justin4125 said:

Not suprising, the MCU is the most consistent franchise ever in terms of critic and audience reviews, this is one hell of an interesting outlier. Who knows, morbid curiousity may help balance out the loss of those who are deterred by the negative reviews haha

I've seen some people mention the tepid response overseas. Eternals is rated significantly higher than other recent films with mixed reviews (like V2 and WW84) in places like France, Spain and Germany (based on Allocine, Filmaffinity and Filmstarts respectively), also much better than Captain Marvel or Birds of Prey. I would say the response overseas is much better than I expected and certainly better than how people seem to be characterizing it (comparing U.S. critic/audience metrics to those in the countries I previously mentioned). Digging into the reviews (in France and in the US), I'm seeing a good number of critics who generally give Marvel films negative reviews give this one positive reviews (while MCU supporters are more mixed). I'm going to dig into the data a lot more to see if, from a statistical perspective, Eternals is appealing to a different group of critics than those who favored previous Marvel films

Could be also an issue of online ratings vs general audience. Eternals has a 6.9 on imdb, which has been increasing after the initial review bombing. Normally you don't see blockbuster movies with that high an imdb getting a B Cinemascore, so I would definitely say there's a disconnect between people who rate movies online and audiences at large. 

1 minute ago, Starphanluke said:

Solo had far BETTER critical and audience reception (and likely domestic BO). I really think anyone who says a direct sequel to Eternals is coming anytime soon is kidding themselves. Again, Marvel will find a way to continue these plot threads in other projects, but I just don't see an Eternals 2 at any point in the near future. 

and ? did you see disney making a sequel ? no bc it was a flop ....disney and any company at the end of the day cares more about the financial side, if eternals doesnt bomb and breaks even , disney would see this as dissapointing BUT they will go ahead with a sequel, from the moment that there is a potential in this sub franchise.

2 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

It's actually worse for Eternals b/c no one LOVES anything about it.  Even with some of the lower rated Marvels, people loved the actor/actress as the character, or they loved the villain, or they loved the humor...this movie gets no love for anything.  It's get a lot of "it was good or not that bad" - that's nothing to rally a sequel around...

I wouldn't say no one. I loved the visuals, world, some of the story elements, several of the characters. I don't think I am the only one there, and I don't think that particular issue is at play here, more that overall reception is just very low even if those who did like it can find things that they loved. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

So, was Venom over Bond a better one:)...

Look, I know you don't agree on my analysis for Eternals 2, but when you have the entire Marvel catalogue of comics now at your disposal and you have what this was, you move on.

For the record, I had that exact feedback for Solo - I don't think that movie was as bad as stated, and I actually mostly enjoyed it...but I knew it destroyed that possible future theatrical world on open b/c there was nothing I loved...and if I was one of the minority that found value in the movie, but had nothing I loved to drive me to the next one...and the movie cost a ton and made not a lot theatrically, it was getting no sequels...and it hasn't...

that doesnt make sense ,the reception of a sequel can always be better see thor 2 and thor 3 or worse see spiderman 2 and spiderman 3. Anyways lets end this we agree to disagree.

A financially successful Eternals wouldn’t have meant a fast E2. 
CA4, Fantastic Four and Blade are confirmed, but two of those will already spill into 2024. Shang Chi 2 in 2024? New Hulk and Nova are rumored. So, Thunderbolts? A5?

plate is full for good or bad. 
(Apologies to Tele for showing him that future.)

10 minutes ago, john2000 said:

and ? did you see disney making a sequel ? no bc it was a flop ....disney and any company at the end of the day cares more about the financial side, if eternals doesnt bomb and breaks even , disney would see this as dissapointing BUT they will go ahead with a sequel, from the moment that there is a potential in this sub franchise.

...that's my point. They didn't make a Solo sequel because it disappointed, just as Eternals is looking to (from many perspectives).

9 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

The names are bit weird otherwise I won't mind seeing solo lead movies, series of Ikaris, Kingo, Ajak, Sprite, Makkari and whatever other names are.

Honestly, I could totally see some of those characters leading their own Disney+ shows. I'd watch the hell out of a Kingo or Makkari and Druig show (and I say that as someone who didn't like the movie). 

I think there's a lot of potential in these characters in smaller groups rather than paying $250m to assemble them all into one bloated tentpole.

Edited by Starphanluke
  • Like 1

Just now, Starphanluke said:

...that's my point. They didn't make a Solo sequel because it disappointed, just as Eternals is looking to (from many perspectives).

Honestly, I could totally see some of those characters leading their own Disney+ shows. I'd watch the hell out of a Kingo or Makkari and Druig show. 

solo was a flop eternals isnt a flop.....big difference and unlike solo, while dom speaking it did dissapoint its os number are very very good.

Edited by john2000

Even with 70m opening, there is still some chance for Eternals to at least topping BW, especially with Thanksgiving weekend and weaker competition in this Nov. I hope for 200m actually, we can't just live with 3 movies coming above 200m. 

SC is so close to 3x multiplier where it needs 226.2m to do the trick, a bit surprised that Disney isn't doing double feature this week.

14 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

It's actually worse for Eternals b/c no one LOVES anything about it.  Even with some of the lower rated Marvels, people loved the actor/actress as the character, or they loved the villain, or they loved the humor...this movie gets no love for anything.  It's get a lot of "it was good or not that bad"

Well now this is just ignorant

• Like 1