Eric the Ape

No Way Home Weekend Thread | #RIP AIW Record | 260M OW DOM | 340M OS | 600M OW WW W/O CHINA

Speaking of screen inflexibility, a hot (maybe?) take that I was bouncing around with @Cap a few days ago — theaters should experiment with showing TV shows. Not a whole bunch, but I suspect some appropriately priced limited engagement stuff the night they premiere (maybe even previews a few hours early?) could draw more butts in seats than your Sohos and Spencers and Duels and Alleys. Maybe even PLFs depending on the show and the competition. Especially if you can coordinate with big shows to release on the right days — Mon and Wed night are usually insanely free.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

In for 49m for 1) My Accuracy Rating and 2) @GoblinXXR's Meltdown for coming THIIIIIS CLOSE to 50m and missing. 👍

Broke: meltdown over missing 50

Woke: meltdown over missing TFA

Bespoke: meltdown over missing TFA updated est 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Product Driven Legion said:

Speaking of screen inflexibility, a hot (maybe?) take that I was bouncing around with @Cap a few days ago — theaters should experiment with showing TV shows. Not a whole bunch, but I suspect some appropriately priced limited engagement stuff the night they premiere (maybe even previews a few hours early?) could draw more butts in seats than your Sohos and Spencers and Duels and Alleys. Maybe even PLFs depending on the show and the competition. Especially if you can coordinate with big shows to release on the right days — Mon and Wed night are usually insanely free.

I mean, it's not unheard of.  Not done as much now, but back in the day various Event TV episodes were cut as movies and put on screens internationally and domestically.  Two parters/premieres and things like that.  Never was a big thing, but I know of a few instances where it's happened in the distant past.

11 minutes ago, Product Driven Legion said:

I would totally go see doubled up episodes of Hawkeye or Boba Fett if that were an option.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Product Driven Legion said:

Not to be a wet blanket, but you guys are about 20 years too late on this.  Theaters would LOVE to show tv shows.  It would be a massive win to be able to put Game of Thrones on every Sunday night during its run, or show Lost when it was the cultural phenomenon, Sopranos, Succession, or the new episode of Hawkeye or Ozark or Wandavision or Loki or The Mandalorian or any other number of shows that would guarantee a rabid built in audience that would go nuts for seeing it in a theater setting with a crowd and have that energy.  

Theaters tried this.  I know of a theater that showed the Lost finale on ever screen of a 10 plex and "sold it out" via a voucher that went towards their food and beverage.  1,000+ people that night having the time of their lives.  HBO has premiered Game of Thrones and other shows at select theaters.  

Unfortunately, the way contracts for television are written they don't allow for paid theatrical exhibition.  The next obstacle that isn't able (as of now) to be overcome is the obligation to cable companies and the advertisers or subscribers.  

Unless you have the express written permission of the producers of the show, it is an immediate cease and desist and automatic lawsuit if you don't listen.  

Same thing for major sporting events that aren't specifically licensed out.  It's 2021 and only now has a theater chain (AMC) been able to cut a deal with the NFL to show games.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, Orestes said:

I would totally go see doubled up episodes of Hawkeye or Boba Fett if that were an option.

Yep.  If this happens at all, it will be experimented with by the Disney/Marvel/Lucasfilm things first.  Premiering the first two or three episodes of OBI-WAN on IMAX/Dolby screens would make bank.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Not to be a wet blanket, but you guys are about 20 years too late on this.  Theaters would LOVE to show tv shows.  It would be a massive win to be able to put Game of Thrones on every Sunday night during its run, or show Lost when it was the cultural phenomenon, Sopranos, Succession, or the new episode of Hawkeye or Ozark or Wandavision or Loki or The Mandalorian or any other number of shows that would guarantee a rabid built in audience that would go nuts for seeing it in a theater setting with a crowd and have that energy.  

Theaters tried this.  I know of a theater that showed the Lost finale on ever screen of a 10 plex and "sold it out" via a voucher that went towards their food and beverage.  1,000+ people that night having the time of their lives.  HBO has premiered Game of Thrones and other shows at select theaters.  

Unfortunately, the way contracts for television are written they don't allow for paid theatrical exhibition.  The next obstacle that isn't able (as of now) to be overcome is the obligation to cable companies and the advertisers or subscribers.  

Unless you have the express written permission of the producers of the show, it is an immediate cease and desist and automatic lawsuit if you don't listen.  

Same thing for major sporting events that aren't specifically licensed out.  It's 2021 and only now has a theater chain (AMC) been able to cut a deal with the NFL to show games.  

God, could you imagine how nuts theaters would have been for The Mandalorian Season 2 finale?

• Like 3
  • Astonished 2

19 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Man, it must be nice to live in a market that actually has a variety of PLF choices for Matrix Resurrections, coz Sacto sure ain't it.  ALL of the XD/4DX/ScreenX/RPX screens in the region next week are going to NWH and most of the DBOX seats as well.  I am lucky enough that the theater within a stone's throw of me is splitting its IMAX screen between TMR and NWH, but that means I have to see it either at 11am in the morning or 10pm at night.    My other options are seeing it on a "Giant Screen" way out in the boondocks at a Cinema West location, since some of them have multiple PLF screens and a couple of them are throwing TMR a bone.

Otherwise though, very slim pickings for me when it comes to seeing The Matrix Resurrections on anything approaching a really big screen.

I would add that I don't exactly blame any of my locals for going full speed ahead on NWH when it comes to PLF screens.  I probably would too as a theater manager.  But, like, can you at least throw TMR a Pity Bone on one random showing on your XD screens?  Like, even a 4:1 split?  Or one random Sunday morning or night showing?

*sees every theater manager in the region give the JJJ Laugh Meme in response*

I'll put you down as a "perhaps", then.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Orestes said:

I’d pay decent money for a imax season pass (6 eps over 6 weeks). I’d pay far more than I reasonably should if the showings were at 9PM the night before they hit the app.

10 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

I suspected it would be something like this. Then I will rephrase — it is not theaters who should consider showing more tv in the new theater landscape, it is tv producers who should consider whether it makes sense to show stuff theatrically in the new tv landscape.

Edited by Product Driven Legion
  • Like 2

Just now, Product Driven Legion said:

I suspected it would be something like this. Then I will rephrase — it is not theaters who should consider showing more tv in the new landscape, it is tv producers who should consider whether it makes sense to show stuff theatrically in the new landscape.

Especially if shows were discounted for subscribers of the right service, you could call it an aspect of the 2020s DTC war/play/craze

I would love to dream that it would or could happen, but it won't ever happen.  It's fucking insanely dumb that a Disney wouldn't put something like The Mandalorian in theaters.  It wouldn't hurt their subscriber numbers at all.  They could show each episode in a 90 minute to 2 hour block by showing the previous episode and the new episode.  It would print money.  

Everyone is too greedy, petty and short sighted.  First and foremost, the entertainment industry is all about control and exclusivity, and it would be a Pandora's box that studios or production companies don't want to open because it would mean that now the books must be opened further, deals re-negotiated, layers of compensation they don't want to touch and all around complexity that none of them have the brains or the soul to figure out.  

Don't forget this is an industry that has no trouble sending a cease and desist letter to a public library or a homeowners association or a school if they find out that someone dared set up an inflatable screen and showed The Avengers to the students or families or kids without getting licensing permission and paying a fee.  

• Like 4
  • Sad 5

@EmpireCity Thanks for the update. It’s unfortunate because well I totally would not go every week, I’d absolutely watch a premiere or a finale in a movie theater. I just like the social aspect of it. And it just feels like a win-win, particularly if you’re not doing like a week exclusive. But rather a Fathom Events-Esque deal. 

Also, boys:

broke: I wanna watch Fett on IMAX

woke: I wanna watch SUCCESSION on IMAX 

😂😂😂. Hell put it in Dolby. We deserve to hear that banger theme song in Dolby. 

1 minute ago, Cap said:

woke: I wanna watch SUCCESSION on IMAX  

Ngl, a lot of Succession's wide-shots (espescially some of the stuff in Italy) reminded me of the work of a director who loves to shoot and show movies in IMAX. 

Succession shown on 35mm film would also be cool.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1

By the way, it isn't only the studios or production companies that are dumb and greedy when it comes to this.  The agents and unions take some blame as well.  

Disney and the agents couldn't even keep from fucking up a contract negotiation and turning it into a giant shit show and alienating one of their major stars this past summer while making fools of themselves in public.  

• Like 5

Well, maybe it’s not gonna happen this year (2022) or the next, but even when covid is a distant memory this will still be an industry in turmoil this decade imo. Not just physical exhibition, but audiovisual media broadly — movies, shows, games, vr, whole shebang. And cross platform opportunities to drive subscriber loyalty (the Metaverse, to use a buzzword that went in 365 days from novel to beaten to the point of death). Perhaps necessity will be the mother of (re)invention, as they say.