Eric the Ape

No Way Home Weekend Thread | #RIP AIW Record | 260M OW DOM | 340M OS | 600M OW WW W/O CHINA

AMC CEO….

”Just staggering Spidey numbers: 1.1 million people watched the new Spider-Man movie @AMCTheatres in the U.S. yesterday! Biggest AMC opening day grosses for a December movie ever. Second biggest opening at AMC of all time. Biggest one day sales for any movie in all of ‘20 and ‘21!”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 5

5 hours ago, The Panda said:

I can’t believe the MCU finally did Spider Man right after two bad movies and iron spider nonsense in avengers.

if by right I guess you mean did the exact same thing that's been done multiple times over multiple iterations sure. 

11 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

AMC CEO….

”Just staggering Spidey numbers: 1.1 million people watched the new Spider-Man movie @AMCTheatres in the U.S. yesterday! Biggest AMC opening day grosses for a December movie ever. Second biggest opening at AMC of all time. Biggest one day sales for any movie in all of ‘20 and ‘21!”

Which MTC chain is AMC? Is it 1 or 2. Maybe can extrapolate previews from that? 

4 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Great hold here in the UK. £31m 5 day is in line with what some had predicted. £36m would be insane. 

And this is while we hit the most ever positive covid cases yesterday, yikes lol.

Hopefully this keeps cinemas open! 

deaths are still far lower and are basically steady for days or weeks now, so thats a huge plus.By the way if the date is correct uk had 88k cases yesterday and only 146 deaths if thats indeed true , i cant emphasize how important this is.Anyway back to the topic HUGE numbers all around and a fantastic start.

Edited by john2000
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

It wasn't that bad.

Ya'll really want Peter crying over Uncle Ben and having supervillian mentors for 8 movies.

To be fair all of those were better mentors and had better dynamics for drama than Iron Man. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GoblinXXR said:

donald trump GIF by State of the Union address 2018

Spider-Man: no way home is gonna be big, it’s gonna be yuge. It’s gonna be very big. I had a uncle who was a Spider-Man. The Spider-Men love me. This weekend is gonna be so big you’re gonna get tired of winning.

5 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

So anyways, to end the rant, you will hear a lot of stories or read articles of how movie theaters are trying to expand their offerings by doing licensed UFC fights or WWE Summer Slam or live comedy shows or having E-Gaming or whatever.  All of that is a great thought, but it's never really going to make an impact enough to work in the long run due to it being hard to build an audience for it and the cost and manpower it takes to run those things.  

But they have expanded into the fighting/wrestling sporting events, the foreign films, and the gaming now.  My Cinemarks (except this week) routinely only use about 9 screens for Hollywood films now, and save 3 for "other" product, and it is serving them very well.  And when they have the mega-blockbuster (like this weekend), they can just drop those items for the week.

It used to be they only booked foreign films from India, but now they have also moved into Japanese product (all subbed or dubbed)...

27 minutes ago, thedast said:

if by right I guess you mean did the exact same thing that's been done multiple times over multiple iterations sure. 

I mean, can't argue that those previous iterations had the most human and heartfelt interpretations of Peter Parker (especially the Raimi ones). The Peter/Stark duo in the MCU is alright, but I think Uncle Ben, overdone or not, is just an inescapable element of Spidey lore in order to really make the character compelling.

Plus, you can do a million different takes on something else and still make it stand out. Ben Affleck's Batman had the exact same origin story as all the others (BvS's opening scene was his parents getting shot) and it worked as fine as ever.

17 hours ago, Product Driven Legion said:

151 overall is just not plausible imo. If you want:  

worst 2.0 139 PS, 53 Th, 86 true ps, 163 true FSS, 216 weekend 

beat 2.0 146 PS, 52 Th, 94 true os, 230 true FSS, 282 wknd

So it turned out.

Edited by Shanks

5 hours ago, Momori said:

My showing was actually like this multiple times through the movie. Never seen anything like that in real-life. Also this was the most packed I've seen a theatre since Harry Potter 8. Wall-to-wall people at the concession stands and (somehow) the ticket kiosks, with lines going out the door. 

Also, anecdotally, according to the people sitting on my left and right it was "The best movie I've ever seen" and "The greatest moment of my life." So I'd say early wom is looking pretty good. :sparta:  

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Plus, you can do a million different takes on something else and still make it stand out. Ben Affleck's Batman had the exact same origin story as all the others (BvS's opening scene was his parents getting shot) and it worked as fine as ever.

Even Lego Batman’s parents death still traumatizes and impacts him in a movie for children (The Lego Batman Movie is great but yknow continuing a point).

• Like 1

TFA OW is going down.

39 minutes ago, Product Driven Legion said:

If we get China release, TFA WW is in play imo

It would be done deal cause OS boxoffice would make up for any shortage dom. Assuming NWH doesn't make 900M+ like TFA, you bet OS incl China would go well over 1.1M that TFA made OS. Spiderman is just bigger franchise OS than SW and NWH has an added interest boost. 

22 minutes ago, john2000 said:

deaths are still far lower and are basically steady for days or weeks now, so thats a huge plus.By the way if the date is correct uk had 88k cases yesterday and only 146 deaths if thats indeed true , i cant emphasize how important this is.Anyway back to the topic HUGE numbers all around and a fantastic start.

I’m just glad it’s not putting people off going to the cinema in huge numbers. 

• Like 1