EmpireCity

Christmas Weekend Thread (24-26 Dec). No Way Home (84.5m) | Matrix (22.5m 5 day) | Sing 2 (39.4m 5 day)

35 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Poor Encanto. Disney+ killed it. Not even 100M DOM is quite awful and should ensure any future animated releases will be day & date or straight to streaming.

Wouldn’t this just encourage studios to not put stuff on streaming early? Encanto would’ve gotten to 100M without this early launch

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Eric Smith said:

Wouldn’t this just encourage studios to not put stuff on streaming early? Encanto would’ve gotten to 100M without this early launch

Disney wanted a movie to boost subs for Christmas. They're okay taking a hit to help Disney+

Fun fact; No Way Home is now the 4th most attended Spider-Man film out of all 8 live-action films. I haven't found a concrete "average ticket price" for 2021, I've seen the range go from $9.19 to $9.46 on all the searches I've done. Assuming the highest is correct, and accounting for premium ticket upcharges, I estimate that NWH is likely around 43-44 million tickets right now after only 10 days (plus previews). The only three above it are the original Raimi trilogy, and it should make it past Spider-Man 3 (around 48m est tickets) sometime this week. Spider-Man 2 is next on the list with around 60 million admissions, then 2002 film with about 70 million.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Mango said:

Assuming the highest is correct, and accounting for premium ticket upcharges, I estimate that NWH is likely around 43-44 million tickets right now after only 10 days (plus previews).

EntTelligence reports 38M tickets according to Deadline. Don’t know how accurate they claim to be, but that’s a $12.30 ATP. You should also note that both Regal and Cinemark have quietly added a premium surcharge for NWH(and Matrix for that matter) of $0.50-$1, at least from the theaters I’ve looked at.

22 minutes ago, Inceptionzq said:

EntTelligence reports 38M tickets according to Deadline. Don’t know how accurate they claim to be, but that’s a $12.30 ATP. You should also note that both Regal and Cinemark have quietly added a premium surcharge for NWH(and Matrix for that matter) of $0.50-$1, at least from the theaters I’ve looked at.

That seems a bit low. If you go by ticket prices in busier markets that may be right, but plenty of theaters have lower prices and less (or no) premium formats. If you want to get really technical, I doubt they consider discount days for theaters (like Tuesdays generally are) where tickets can be as low as $5. Either way, 38M would still put it above FFH I think. It's only behind the first trilogy right now.

Edited by Mango