Eric Prime

Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire | March 29, 2024 | They're boyfriends now

On 2/10/2024 at 12:55 PM, Jay Beezy said:

I’m still waiting for a Destroy All Monsters style team up movie. If you’re the executive in charge of overseeing the MonsterVerse, how is such a movie not on the docket?

Once agiain, Missed "King Of The Monsters" which pretty is a Destory All Monsters variant.

It´s so funny when people get mad at this comparing to -1 or Shin

This difference in tone is part of the franchise historically even in Japan, if you dislike just focus on the dramatic movies but keeping using them to say how the adventure movies are trash is so ´´look ma i´m an adult now´´ coded lol 

Looks fun to me which is the goal clearly, visually it also looks good tbh with the bright colors and nice texture without really care about boring realism like most movies that is also CGI heavy but desaturated 

• Like 7

3 hours ago, dudalb said:

Once agiain, Missed "King Of The Monsters" which pretty is a Destory All Monsters variant.

I’m talking about Destroy All Monsters in terms of a full on team-up. King of the Monsters wasn’t exactly a full on team-up.

3 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

This difference in tone is part of the franchise historically even in Japan, if you dislike just focus on the dramatic movies but keeping using them to say how the adventure movies are trash is so ´´look ma i´m an adult now´´ coded lol 

Looks fun to me which is the goal clearly, visually it also looks good tbh with the bright colors and nice texture without really care about boring realism like most movies that is also CGI heavy but desaturated 

This is something I continue to see, and I find it tiring. Not every Godzilla film needs to be "certified KINO." Most Godzilla films aren't but still show effort and have entertainment value. The sooner people understand this, the better.

Godzilla Minus One was like a steak dinner with wine. Godzilla x Kong looks to be a Taco Bell meal with a Baja Blast. I think both taste good, but they're very different products. A little bit of this "fast food" has yet to kill me.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

Yeah especially when the dramatic serious entries are the exception not the rule for Godzilla. The people getting mad at comparing the two frankly have no clue what they're talking about and should watch more Godzilla films before speaking out :P Now, of course if someone still dislikes this film that's fine but using Minus One's serious tone as a mark against what this film is doing is naive at best.

• Like 2

The versatility of Godzilla as a character and brand is the core reason why we've all loved him for over 70 years, and why he will never truly die. He can effortlessly transform into whatever any given era's people want him to be during their lifetimes. He started off as a haunting allegory for nuclear warfare and its effects on the Japanese, and now he has become a big budget action hero protecting our world from total annihilation. And he doesn't always have to be locked into one role, as he can be either depending on what story any given filmmaker wants to tell. And as long as his flexibility is preserved, Godzilla will always be an immortal icon. In an era where many franchises are fading away into dust, he stands tall, and will likely outlast them all. Long live the king.

Godzilla Roar GIF by Apple TV

• Like 4

I think it's also important to point out that a lot of people became fans of Godzilla not because they thought "hey its a cool social allegory" but because they were kids who saw Godzilla and thought, "hey its a fire-breating dinosaur who fights other monsters!". 

Of course, knowing the deeper themes behind the movies helps one appreciate & love the franchise more, but its the inherent appeal to children/families which made Godzilla into a truly lasting cultural icon/cash cow in the 1960s and 1990s.

• Like 4

On 2/15/2024 at 12:58 PM, Firepower said:

Looks like a video-game, which would be a disservice to big budget video-games which can look better than this.

Please, the actual CGI is fine. Show me a video game that looks like this. Actually, if you can show me a movie coming out this year that's shown off anything better than this I'd love to see it. Dune Part 2 has a very different tone and will obviously be a better movie, but the CGI ain't anything special, in fact it looks bit ugly in parts. It's obvious that the movie is going for a light hearted and cartoonish vibe. So obviously it's going to look cartoonish? I'm not sure why people in this thread are acting so snobbish and pointing this out repeatedly like it's some kinda gotcha against the movie. I'm glad you are so observant, I really thought this was going to be the next Oppenheimer until you pointed out how silly this obviously silly movie looks. 

4 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

Toho since 2016 has mostly seemed pretty intent on sticking to the idea of Godzilla as a serious political allegory.

The about the Original 1954 GOdzilla movie (which is a lot different then the American version with Raymond Burr) is how dark it is. the whole "GOdzilla is an allegory for the A bomb" is very obvioius.

I think it's important to also point out that even some of the "versus" films or films from the Showa series had messages or in some cases, satire. Godzilla vs. Hedorah is one example people like to point to, but there's also King Kong vs. Godzilla. The 1962 film wasn't just a monster romp, though you wouldn't be blamed for writing it off as such if you watched the Universal cut.

The first film in which Godzilla and King Kong ever fought was a satire sparked by the state of Japanese television in the 1960's and how outrageous antics were used by companies to sell their products. Especially in the Showa series, some thought was put into some of the films and their stories; not all of them, but enough to show that these films were able to go beyond "monster vs. monster" bashes when it counted.

Even those that don't follow that trend still don't need to justify their existence. It's all entertainment. There's nothing wrong with that.

Edited by NoobSaibot
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, SaltyPistola said:

Please, the actual CGI is fine. Show me a video game that looks like this.

Kong's son looks like shit, as well as shots where Kong and Godzilla are running in the same frame. If we take video-games, The Last of Us 2 looks better than this and it's a PS4 generation title.

18 hours ago, SaltyPistola said:

Actually, if you can show me a movie coming out this year that's shown off anything better than this I'd love to see it. Dune Part 2 has a very different tone and will obviously be a better movie, but the CGI ain't anything special, in fact it looks bit ugly in parts.

Dune Part 2 looks like it's in a different league entirely compared to this, even considering they aim for very different tones.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1