Eric Quinn

FANTASTIC BEASTS: THE SECRETS OF DUMBLEDORE WEEKEND THREAD | Read the first post for the rules

23 minutes ago, Noiret Jak said:

As much as it's not an extraordinary start, it's still decent, especially given the big mess around this film. But hey, many here love typing on this license. It's scary.

For a movie that cost $200m and is part of one of the biggest IPs in history, there’s no way this is even close to decent. It’s not “scary” to say so

Edited by snarkmachine
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 2

2 hours ago, Maggie said:

So, Sonic 2 won't do much better than Sonic 1 and that one had its legs cut off by the start of the pandemic. I'm so disappointed. Paramount started this year relatively ok, but this is a fail

If Variety is speaking the truth about the movie's budget, that means there is a very big chance Sonic 2 already doubled the budget before reaching the second american weekend or at least yesterday. Even if the second US weekend is disapointing, let's turn down the panic. The movie is still a hit and still have a good chance for the drops to become more stable the next few weekends.

Edited by ThatWaluigiDude
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, ThatWaluigiDude said:

If Variety is speaking the truth about the movie's budget, that means there is a very big chance Sonic 2 already doubled the budget before reaching the second american weekend or at least yesterday. Even if the second US weekend is disapointing, let's turn down the panic. The movie is still a hit and still have a good chance for the drops to become more stable the next few weekends.

@Maggie and panic are going together mate.

eeaao is probably the biggest unqualified success this weekend. i think beating out moonlight ($27.8m dom) for #4 a24 grosser all-time is a lock. do we think it can hit the $44-50m range of hereditary / lady bird / uncut gems?

2 minutes ago, Eevin said:

eeaao is probably the biggest unqualified success this weekend. i think beating out moonlight ($27.8m dom) for #4 a24 grosser all-time is a lock. do we think it can hit the $44-50m range of hereditary / lady bird / uncut gems?

I mean maybe $35M-$40M?

2 minutes ago, Eevin said:

Probably not but $30M+ is definitely looking likely at this point. The biggest win for the indie market since the pandemic started.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, filmnerdjamie said:

I didn't dislike Jurassic World. Liked it perfectly fine in a three-star out of five way, ya know?

But I never bothered with Fallen Kingdom. Trailers were unappealing, reviews/reception didn't make me think I missed out and from the looks of Dominion, they are pretending they never played the Nostalgia Card (annoyingly so, to be honest) while hoping for "finale factor."

The thing about Fallen Kingdom was, even the people who hated it usually admitted that the end hooked them for the next one.

18 minutes ago, Felandria said:

The thing about Fallen Kingdom was, even the people who hated it usually admitted that the end hooked them for the next one.

Sure. But they also said they felt ripped off with how much Jeff Goldblum's Ian Malcolm was used in the marketing and then barely in the final film though.

Now the marketing for Dominion is "No we mean it THIS TIME, you guys!"

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, vafrow said:

To be fair, the crowding was in comparison to January and February, which was deserted. And part of the issue is that this month has had some just plain bad films. 

Still, it's really not been great. It's looking to be a relatively light summer as well, that the idea of a full return to normal looks farther away than it has been. 

These 4 weeks are doing worse than last October, when v2, nttd, Hk and dune open back-to-back. I am worried we have reached the plateau of recovery, when there is no mega opening in the mix. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Cap said:

This describes everyone related to Les Mis (2012) 

Why should I go see a movie with him, when I can watch some of his other projects, that aren’t as problematic?

I always think of the Robert Evans quote from the 1970s when he started working over at paramount: People don’t go to the movies anymore. People go see a movie.

He said that 50 years ago and it still applies. I just don’t think people wanna see the movie. We can debate why till we’re blue in the face, Doesn’t change that it appears that people don’t want to see the movie.

Evans was a bit late to the party there.

That was conventoinal wisdom since the early 1950's, when it was clear the coming of Television in the late 40's killed the weekly movie going habit.

Mads actually got good reviews for his performance in this movie, but a good performance was not enough to offset the film's flaws.

I think the WW will continue, but the FB franchise is dead in the water. Next film will go in a different direction.

• Like 2

Any idea how much at the box office Doctor Strange 2 might make?

Since the first film was a big success with $232M DOM & $677M WW, and that one was the introduction to Benedict Cumberbatch as the title character.

And since’s been in many MCU-films since then, what do you guys think the sequel might gross, conservative-speaking?

2 hours ago, snarkmachine said:

For a movie that cost $200m and is part of one of the biggest IPs in history, there’s no way this is even close to decent. It’s not “scary” to say so

Fanboys going to fanboy/

3 hours ago, ACSlater said:

I think the folks are waiting for the need for speed. 

Maverick GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

I am actually a little cautious about TG2; not sure this is the right time for a film that, let's face it, glorifies war.

18 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Since the first film was a big success with $232M DOM & $677M WW, and that one was the introduction to Benedict Cumberbatch as the title character.

And since’s been in many MCU-films since then, what do you guys think the sequel might gross, conservative-speaking?

Going to double the first one.

• Disbelief 1

18 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Doctor Strange is heading to a minimum 170M+ OW DOM and that is quite conservative at this point imo. Worldwide a billion should basically be locked and doubling the first ones worldwide numbers is certainly possible.

• Like 2