Cap

AMERICA CHAVEZ IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS WEEKEND THREAD | Aka carbonara civil war thread | 187.42M OW

Pending actuals, this is: 

11th best OW by nominal gross

11th best MCU OW by rank

Funny coincidence if it sticks

Edited by Illuminegion Confirmed

I actually think it’s a good OW-gross for Doctor Strange 2. Between $185-190M+ is a very large number, so i don’t think it’s a bad opening. Of course, it wouldn’t have done Spider-Man: NWH-numbers anyway, perse…but seeing these box office opening gross for DS2 is good enough.

I hope many people don’t get too disappointed if Thor: Love & Thunder, doesn’t overperform to like $450-500M. I could see that one have a slight increase at around $350-390M, if that movie gets really great audience & critical reception.

Any idea how much at the box office, Thor 4 might do DOM & WW? Cause out of all Thor-films, Love & Thunder will be the first one without Tom Hiddleston as Loki.

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34

55 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I know there's a very strict ban on talking about it and we are obligated to pretend it is totally over and doesn't exist or have any impact anymore, but like 25 people I know have COVID right now and positivity rates are up over 20 percent in many major urban areas including here. NWH's triumph over Omicron seems to have made people forget that these kind of spikes have mattered for every single other movie in the past 14 months!

Two days ago, my company revealed somebody in the office got tested positive for COVID, which was the first time that's ever happened since I worked there. It's definitely legit concerning, but I still think it only impacts box office like...5% maybe? Anybody who wants to go to the movies are already vaxxed up, I never see masks when I'm out shopping or eating, and the people who were super cautious two years ago (god it's weird to think it's been two years) are now at the point where they will just...wear a mask or wait for next week to see the movie. Like I really feel these spikes have minimal damage. Whether that's a good thing is up to you of course.

33 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I'm expecting things to be pretty bad by the time JW drops.

I don't know if it will have much impact since nothing will close and people overall doesn't care anymore that much, but it's definitely not over and clearly there's a wave tendency appearing.

nobody is staying home anymore. Especially the 18-34 crowd. Everywhere is packed. Top Gun though could potentially be hurt since it has an appeal to older audience but even then I doubt it

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, SchumacherFTW said:

I'd say the issue is with the parents rather than marvel in this case. Pretty sure every PG-13 movie has easily accessible reasons for why they have the rating. If they're ignoring that blindly and taking very young kids anyway, that's on them. 

Fair.  It's PG-13, not PG-8.  

8 hours ago, AnotherDayAnotherDollar said:

That's true. But Disney is all about its branding. Smoking is allowed on PG-13 movies - and similar TV rating - but Disney makes it an internal rule that their PG-13 and lower movies will not allow smoking. It is in their best interest to have clear branding for the projects for its properties, especially its biggest one. Parents pay more attention to the branding than they do why a movie is rated a certain way.

Yeah... I still say they should revive that "MARVEL KNIGHTS" banner...and could have used this movie as the first entry.  Just a sly, fun, more edgy branding that alerts parents that there's a bit darker material here.  This is where Genre gets edgy, and more interesting.  But if a few too many of these Marvel entries "flop" in any capacity, you can bet that Feige will be asked by Disney brass to return to Brand-centric family-style buffets.  A few parents complaining about content is one thing, but if they don't buy the Happy Meals and toys...we'll get more Batman Forevers/ & Robins (...Though even Forever feels more "adult" in certain themes than most Marvel, these days...)  

5 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

One thing I'll say - Disney marketed this film perfectly.  They convinced A LOT of folks this was must see b/c of a big universe...and got the money from those folks to see it.

So, the story of marketing - get the money any way you can as fast as you can b/c then you have it...

Yep.  Hollywood was doing this for decades with "B" movies and otherwise-not-well-produced-or-messy productions.  Then Roger Corman perfected it.  Then Hollywood stole Corman's formula with movies like JAWS (even though that's a brilliant film), and then figured out that sequels and even bigger budget "B" movies still got people out opening weekend more than anything else did.  "Take the money and run..."  

Edited by Macleod

Oh yes Hahaha

Just came back from seeing it.

Better than No Way Home and every other Phase 4 film for me. I had a total blast. Wanda was so fucking awesome.

• Like 19
  • Haha 1

And yes there are certain things in the movie that will probably prevent it from having great legs. Raimi, while beeing busy making the Doctor Strange movie that i would love to see, forgot to make a harmless movie that everyone could enjoy.

For that i am truly thankfull.

Edited by Brainbug the Dinosaur
  • Like 5

Doctor Strange is easily the best movie of Phase 4. Sometimes I just don't get how criticism work when I see MCU Spider-Man trilogy being so highly rated and raved by critics. 

Anyways ,this is way different from most of the MCU movie. I think it's a refreshing change.

But after seeing the reception, I am sad that Marvel will probably go back to formula for DS3 

• Like 1

• Founder / Operator

I happened to catch a few comments and I just have to say... there is no multiverse in which these numbers are disappointing. Six years ago, Strange was a B tier character at best with little awareness among the masses. Now, he's opening a film almost 40% higher than Batman.

$200 million was a possibility, it just didn't come to fruition due to the type of film it is, internal weekend word of mouth, and some degree of misreading the tea leaves on pre-sales. It happens. Arbitrary box office goals are just that. Let's all be happy that a movie like this is doing what it's doing after more than a few doomsday predictions just a year ago that we might never see a performance like this again.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

Doctor Strange is easily the best movie of Phase 4. Sometimes I just don't get how criticism work when I see MCU Spider-Man trilogy being so highly rated and raved by critics. 

Anyways ,this is way different from most of the MCU movie. I think it's a refreshing change.

But after seeing the reception, I am sad that Marvel will probably go back to formula for DS3 

Critics love Jon Watts, no wonder Feige and Co. wanted him for F4.

1 minute ago, Shawn said:

Happened to catch a few comments and I just have to say... there is no multiverse in which these numbers are disappointing. Six years ago, Strange was a B tier character with little awareness among the masses. Now, he's opening a film almost 40% higher than Batman.

$200 million was a possibility, it just didn't come to fruition due to the type of film it is, internal weekend word of mouth, and some degree of misleading the tea leaves on pre-sales. It happens. Arbitrary box office goals are just that. Let's all be happy that a movie like this is doing what it's doing after more than a few doomsday predictions just a year ago that we never see a normal summer box office again.

Too much truth for one post, Shawn!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Factcheck said:

RT if you want to know how many liked movie.

IMDb score inflated when movie/character has some diehard fans, deflated when some group of people think movie is woke agenda.

So RT verified audience score is the most GA friendly

That's not always the case, i.e. titanic has a 69% on rt and that doesnt line up very well lol. I'd say try to strike a middle ground between imdb, rt and cinemascore rather than relying on one single platform.

Edited by JustLurking

6 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

That's not always the case, i.e. titanic has a 69% on rt and that doesnt line up very well lol. I'd say try to strike a middle ground between imdb, rt and cinemascore rather than relying on one single platform.

Verified RT is a much different beast than unverified. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Shawn said:

I happened to catch a few comments and I just have to say... there is no multiverse in which these numbers are disappointing. Six years ago, Strange was a B tier character at best with little awareness among the masses. Now, he's opening a film almost 40% higher than Batman.

$200 million was a possibility, it just didn't come to fruition due to the type of film it is, internal weekend word of mouth, and some degree of misleading the tea leaves on pre-sales. It happens. Arbitrary box office goals are just that. Let's all be happy that a movie like this is doing what it's doing after more than a few doomsday predictions just a year ago that we might never see a performance like this again.

I don't go on this forum often but when I do and there's a massively successful film called a disappointment, I interpret it as a joke more than anything. Sort of self prodding at the overconfident pre-sale expectations.

Edited by Alex SciChannel

2 hours ago, Valonqar said:

And DS2 was helped by NWH. he was in it, introduced multiverse, and was seen by the largest audience since Endgame. Continuity FTW. If that doesn't bump your movie I don't know what does. The only difference is that some of us expected a bump to over 200M OW but it looks like it will be a bump to CW/AoU OW. Which is huge coming from first DS OW.

Yhyh as i've said before the biggest selling point of the MCU is continuity. 

1 hour ago, MaverickXXR said:

90% chance domestically, 70% chance worldwide. Currently thinking....

Multiverse of Madness = $435M DOM -- $600M OS

Love & Thunder = $475M DOM -- $700M OS

Wakanda Forever = $575M DOM -- $650M OS 

love and thunder aint making that much OS. ragnarok made around 530m Os including china. And well china aint arount this time. Domestically it will be big but OS Thinking 550-600m OS-china. china would have pushed it to the 700m mark.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, joe liviig said:

love and thunder aint making that much OS. ragnarok made around 530m Os including china. And well china aint arount this time. Domestically it will be big but OS Thinking 550-600m OS-china. china would have pushed it to the 700m mark.

MOM will do about 85-90% more than DS1 OS-C-R. L&T doing the same over Ragnarok would be ~$750M. Don't underestimate MCU inflation since IW/EG and ticket price inflation in general.