Cap

AMERICA CHAVEZ IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS WEEKEND THREAD | Aka carbonara civil war thread | 187.42M OW

28 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Dr. Strange the Robert Horry of the Marvel Universe - a role player that lands on the biggest and best projects. Guy is not beloved like that, kind of a weird personality-less character, but he is always important in the biggest of these movies which may matter more.

Horry was a fave of mine.  

I was out to eat with a friend at a small, cozy restaurant here in Houston ages ago, like it was 2008/2009ish.  She came back from the restroom and said she overheard someone talking about a former Rockets player was here eating.  I asked who and she said his name wrong, but I understood enough to ask, "Robert Horry!?"  louder than I should have.

I looked up and immediately locked eyes with him as he was just three tables away lmao.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

Horry was a fave of mine.  

I was out to eat with a friend at a small, cozy restaurant here in Houston ages ago, like it was 2008/2009ish.  She came back from the restroom and said she overheard someone talking about a former Rockets player was here eating.  I asked who and she said his name wrong, but I understood enough to ask, "Robert Horry!?"  louder than I should have.

I looked up and immediately locked eyes with him as he was just three tables away lmao.  

Amazing! The only player I got to meet from the Heat dynasty was Mario Chalmers at a mall.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Dr. Strange the Robert Horry of the Marvel Universe - a role player that lands on the biggest and best projects. Guy is not beloved like that, kind of a weird personality-less character, but he is always important in the biggest of these movies which may matter more.

I'm super biased, because Strange is probably my favorite MCU character (him and Thor flipflop for me personally all the time), but I do think there's more to Strange than what you're saying. He has a lot of that Tony cynicism, and while he's not as "I wanna be him", people like a snarky, sarcastic character. Plus within almost all the movies he's in, there's a lot of cool, flashy powers that makes his moments super memorable and fun and makes kids want to buy the action figures.

I also kinda disagree with it being hard to rank popularity, especially since Thor and Guardians are probably on the way out. At the very least, Holland's Spider-Man is a clear #1. Twitter loves to argue about how MCU Spider-Man is a sham to the original character, and I don't really care for the Iron Man apprentice stuff either, but just from my interactions with both MCU diehards and casuals, Holland has left a strong impression. Plus ya know...he's Spider-Man.

I do agree it is kind of hard to pinpoint down a definitive ranking though, since a lot of the newbies are either wet behind the ears or haven't left an instant impression like the Guardians or Black Panther did, which is a little concerning. Maybe Sam Wilson's Cap will become a big deal (at least I'm hoping), but we are missing that iconic trio that the Infinity Saga had that gets people hyped/easier to sell toys. The plan for the new trio was probably Spider-Man/Strange/T'Challa, but obviously that's not happening. And the closest to a third member is...Captain Marvel? The guy they'll get for Wolverine? Deadpool, even though he'll probably be in his own little corner? It's definitely not as concise as it was a few years ago.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, grey ghost said:

This reminds me of IM3's reception.

Yo, listen up here's a story
About a little lady
That lives in a red world
And all day and all night
And everything she sees is just red
Like her inside and outside

Red her house
With a red little window
And a red corvette
And everything is red for her
And herself and everybody around
Cause she ain't got nobody to listen to

So with 36m opening night

No Way home Multiplier would be $187.2m

Black Widow (6.1) $219.6m

Eternals (7.5m) $270m

Anyways there is no way this hits $270m OW. but somewhere between No Way home and Black Widow Multiplier seems reasonable 

4 hours ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Unless we have an Emo Doctor Strange dance in the movie (i dont know since i havent seen it yet), i doubt it.

Can’t get into spoilers here but I think there is a moment in the film that will get memed for years. Classic Raimi.

• Astonished 1

4 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

BTW I think Strange is likely 2nd most popular alive Avenger. IMO

1. Thor
2. Strange
3. Spidey
4. GoTG
5. pick someone. may be Captain Marvel

Spidey is the most popular clearly.

3 hours ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Well i think its pretty clear that theres a lot of people who see this movie not as Doctor Strange 2 but more like a sequel to No Way Home for obvious reasons.

More like a sequel to Wandavision.

13 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Lol, we probably need to wait another 30 years before we can exclaim that the character Dr Strange is just as popular as Batman.

Why though? If Batman can't compete with Dr. Strange or any other superhero on the box office, he clearly is less popular. At this point, if Aquaman 2 can replicate it's success, he should be called DC's numero uno. Batman's problem is that he has lost a lot of appeal among kids especially overseas.

• ...wtf 2
  • Disbelief 1

Batman as a brand will always be bigger than Dr Strange, no questions, but we know box office don't follow those rules so closely, just look at Superman, the most known hero.

• Like 1

Doc Strange not intended as a totally family-friendly film.  

Marketing 8-quadrant film rather than 9-quadrant (Marketing loves using quadrants).

It'll be fine BoxOffice wise.  Little more adult fare.

Edited by budice

1 minute ago, Fox20 said:

Batman as a brand will always be bigger than Dr Strange, no questions, but we know box office don't follow those rules so closely, just look at Superman, the most known hero.

The sequel will be massive for The Batman with how positive the first one been recieved. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Fox20 said:

Batman is older. In movies, Strange is at the beginning so not really fair. Atm Strange is on top

26 minutes ago, Goldbricker said:

Why though? If Batman can't compete with Dr. Strange or any other superhero on the box office, he clearly is less popular. At this point, if Aquaman 2 can replicate it's success, he should be called DC's numero uno. Batman's problem is that he has lost a lot of appeal among kids especially overseas.

Does it ever go through peoples brain that B/O doesn't equal popularity. 2 years ago we would be saying CM is more popular than spidey hell even aquaman was......continuity makes the MCU successful.

• Like 3
  • ...wtf 1