Cap

AMERICA CHAVEZ IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS WEEKEND THREAD | Aka carbonara civil war thread | 187.42M OW

3 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

I think I know who marvel is thinking for Dr. doom. Guy can do anger, action, drama and lame stuff too. Not going to reveal, but he was in a movie recently and his ferocity impressed everyone. With some nuance added, he could kill it as Doom.

The V? :ohmygod:

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, M37 said:

Strange has now become the focal character of MCU (replacing Stark/Iron-Man), especially as it moves into the Multiverse/alternate timeline phase 

But to say he’s more beloved than Spider-Man is still incorrect; that’s a generational stand-alone character (despite being on its third iteration in just 20 years)

yeah also the reason Strange is so popular might have less to do with him being a beloved character and more to do with audiences seeing him and thinking "oh ok, this movie's gonna be important." but I don't think you get to Spidey or even Thor-level grosses if it's "just a Doctor Strange movie"

• Like 2

Dr. Strange the Robert Horry of the Marvel Universe - a role player that lands on the biggest and best projects. Guy is not beloved like that, kind of a weird personality-less character, but he is always important in the biggest of these movies which may matter more.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

If you consider worldwide popularity than probably 

1. Spider-Man 

2. Thor

3. Wanda

4. Doctor Strange 

5. Black Panther

6. Guardians

7. Captain Marvel 

8. Ant Man

Nah, of the current core in the MCU, it starts as 

1. Spiderman - Peter Parker (Tom Holland)

2. Spiderman - Peter Parker Multi 1 (Andrew Garfield)

3. Spiderman - Peter Parker Multi 2 (Tobey Maguire)

I'd almost put Venom next, but he's not technically MCU, although maybe he is b/c he had the cameo in NWH...

• ...wtf 1

2 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Dr. Strange the Robert Horry of the Marvel Universe - a role player that lands on the biggest and best projects. Guy is not beloved like that, kind of a weird personality-less character, but he is always important in the biggest of these movies which may matter more.

That's Big Shot Doc for you

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

I don't think you can really rank these cleanly like you could cleanly rank Iron Man then Cap then Thor. The characters all cross over now, they're in multiverses, you've got old characters still hanging around, F4 and X-Men to be introduced, Boseman's passing, just alot of reasons to believe it's not gonna be the clear, easy path in choosing projects and release dates for Feige anymore.

Holland is absolutely the face of the MCU if he sticks around, though. I am willing to say that.

7 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Nah, of the current core in the MCU, it starts as 

1. Spiderman - Peter Parker (Tom Holland)

2. Spiderman - Peter Parker Multi 1 (Andrew Garfield)

3. Spiderman - Peter Parker Multi 2 (Tobey Maguire)

I'd almost put Venom next, but he's not technically MCU, although maybe he is b/c he had the cameo in NWH...

Venom is certainly not more popular than Thor. The gulf there is massive. 

Edited by Menor Reborn
  • Like 1

Just now, Menor Reborn said:

I'm not sure about that...Venom has (virtually) no MCU ties and not great movies...but did you see his box office anyway for 2 totally solo projects?

2 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

Thor 4 is gonna be far bigger than Venom 2.

Covid release vs non-Covid release...

And Thor 4 is not a standalone hero movie - doesn't Thor get a bunch of MCU help, like the ENTIRE Guardians of the Galaxy crew?

Edited by TwoMisfits

47 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

May be in America I guess. Won't be in Top 5 elsewhere. Similarily GoTG prolly stronger in West but overall Strange will be ahead.

I would say mine top 3 are pretty interchangeable but Thor definite edge for now.

We all have opinions of course, but to say BP wouldn’t be the the top five elsewhere except for US is ridiculous. It’s a fact his first film made more than Spider-Man: Homecoming, Thor: Ragnarok, Doctor Strange and GotG Vol. 2 OVERSEAS. Highest after the first Avengers films, Iron Man 3, and Captain America: Civil War. I think we have to see how the sequel does to even rank popularity fairly.

I feel a lot of people here underestimating BP2’s overseas numbers like they with the first. I predict it will increase by a lot overseas partly because it’s a sequel and MCU has gotten bigger as well. I feel the same about all the MCU films this year.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

And Thor 4 is not a standalone hero movie - doesn't Thor get a bunch of MCU help?

Sure he has Guardians, but you could use this logic to disqualify all three Spideys and Venom himself (post credit) as well as pretty much any other MCU hero.

As far as Covid, Venom 2 wasn't that much bigger than Shang-Chi which released peak Delta. I don't think anyone would argue Shang-Chi is even close to the top of MCU popularity. Venom has China going for him, but Marvel is likely banned there going forward anyway.

I would also put Tobey ahead of the other two Spideys in your list.

Edited by Menor Reborn
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

Venom is f’ing popular no doubt about it, why do you think Sony wanted him in Spiderman 3 so much? He’s probably number 2 most popular villain behind Joker.

I distinctly remember Venom being wildly popular in the 90’s growing up.

Edited by KJsooner
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, KJsooner said:

Venom is f’ing popular no doubt about it, why do you think Sony wanted him in Spiderman 3 so much? He’s probably number 2 most popular villain behind Joker.

I distinctly remember Venom being wildly popular in the 90’s growing up.

I'm comparing him to heroes, which is a higher bar. 

I mean obviously the real ranking is:

1. EL MUERTO

2. Madame Web

3. DR Michael Morbius

The rest can fight over the scraps

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

And Thor 4 is not a standalone hero movie - doesn't Thor get a bunch of MCU help, like the ENTIRE Guardians of the Galaxy crew?

Ah come on. Thor 4 will likely cross 1st Venom in a weekend. Its not even a competition.