BadOlCatSylvester

May 13-15 Weekend Thread | 67.4% drop for Doctor Strange 2

1 minute ago, Gavin Feng said:

The DL guy is full of bullshit...

Lmao Anthony with the spin. That man needs to understand business isn't booming.

• ...wtf 1

Firestarter barely tops previous Blumhouse/Universal release Freaky ($3.6M) for OW, in a very different market, and could very well finish below the total gross of $9.03M

• Astonished 1

Just now, M37 said:

Firestarter barely tops previous Blumhouse/Universal release Freaky ($3.6M) for OW, in a very different market, and could very well finish below the total gross of $9.03M

I mean, the total OW for Firestarter came in even under 1 Mormillion!

1 Mormillion meaning 5,7M aka 1 Morbius preview number.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Nah i think it has more to do with studios rushing to get more modern Stephen King adaptions after the giant success of It (2017). Hence why we got a Pet Sematary remake in 2019 and we get a Firestarter one right now. Has less to do with the actual titles and more with the King brandname imo.

There was also a sequel to The Shining (Doctor Sleep) that everyone ignored and an update of The Stand on streaming that wasn't well-received. We'll see how Salem's Lot does later this year.

• Like 1

Just now, filmlover said:

There was also a sequel to The Shining (Doctor Sleep) that everyone ignored and an update of The Stand on streaming that wasn't well-received. We'll see how Salem's Lot does later this year.

Doctor Sleep i very much like. Obi-Wan-Kenobi is great in it.

• Like 1

Doctor Sleep was awesome. One of my favorite theatrical experiences with my best friend and brother. 

Totally emersed into it, and it played brilliantly as a Shining sequel. Also several teenagers snuck in and started snickering and playing on their phones early on.

I yelled at them to shut the fuck up or I'd have management kick their asses out. They shut up and left. 

Wouldn't recommend the extended cut though. They made the right cuts and it goes on too long. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Doctor Sleep is the tits tho. Mike Flanagan is too good for the trashy theatrical crowd.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

38 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Both were also family movies after two years of turmoil for the genre. Bodes well for Lightyear/Minions/Super-Pets this summer.

Edit: unless the other you're referring to is Everything Everywhere (since that began as a March release but didn't expand until April). Still, The Bad Guys has done fine all things considered.

What if they performed well not because families are finally confident into returning to theatres, but because of furries? More evidence, the other family movie which exceeded expectations and was well received by audiences was Sing 2, which you know...also featured antropomorphic animals :qotd:

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

Doctor Sleep is the tits tho. Mike Flanagan is too good for the trashy theatrical crowd.

Mike Flanagan is underrated. I mean he made a good Ouija movie!

A good Ouija movie! That should be illegal/impossible, but he made it!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, YourMother said:

-67.5% drop for Strange 2. Pretty rough but could still get to 400m if it holds good next weekend. To be honest, while I think WOM is a factor, I think the bigger more fan driven MCU will become more frontloaded second weekend drop especially with 3 PM Thursday previews (NWH is an example, yes Christmas was a factor but i think a 60%+ drop would’ve happened regardless)

Its already 5m behind CW with much more competion compared to that that CW had in 2016. CW had all the same benefits of memorial day weekend , summer weekdays and that didnt help its legs either. top it off audience reception was way better than strange 2. 

but lets wait and see

8 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

It: Chapter One was classic Right Time, Right Place scenario.

In classic Hollywood fashion, executives learned the wrong lesson and started greenlighting King projects like crazy.

To be fair, King adaptations used to be all the rage for studios in the 80s and 90s before dying down in popularity for a while (no doubt in part because there's been a lot more that fall under the "very bad" column than ones that have been classified as "very good") before IT blew up and allowed for a new wave of adaptations to try and capitalize on that.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Mike Flanagan is underrated. I mean he made a good Ouija movie!

A good Ouija movie! That should be illegal/impossible, but he made it!

Universal embargoed it like crazy. Even they couldn't believe they had a good Ouija movie in their hands.

54 minutes ago, CJohn said:

The Lost City is gonna reach 100M over Memorial weekend. Shame that Sonic had such a shitty early legs or else it might have reached 200M on that weekend as well (as is, it will probably end at 190M or so). Paramount would be gloating so hard with their Tuesday morning PR if that was the case.

Sonic 2nd weekend drop was a bit harsh. Once your 2nd weekend hold is meh, it is really hard to reverse over legs no matter how good the holds are in the latter run. 

look at NWH, the late legs were amazing but overall legs was “only” 3.1x merely because the 2nd weekend drop 68%. Similar to V2, the late run can’t mitigate the harsh 2nd drop. On the other hand, batman late legs were way weaker than NwH and V2 but that great 50% 2nd weekend drop allow it to have decent legs at 2.76x.

• Like 3