Eric Prime

TOP GUN MAVERICK/MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND THREAD | 126.7M 3-Day, 160.5M 4-Day. The biggest Memorial Day opening ever! | Doctor Strange 20.5M 4-Day, Bob's Burgers 14.8M

1 hour ago, SupermanLego said:

I definitely don't see thor making 500m the hype for its second trailer is weak across the board. No one seems to care. BP2 though.... that should hit within that range given if it's well received.

Lol.  What a crock of shit this is.  

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

FK, which had a much darker tone and lower scale.

This right here.....

Besides, Only advantage of JWFK was that it was following JW and disadvantage of Dominion is that it's following JWFK.

Just now, LonePirate said:

Is The Lost City the first rom com to break $100M since Crazy Rich Asians? 

100% true. Sandra Bullock has at least 1 $100M+ hit every single decade since her career started (90s: Speed, A Time to Kill, 00s: Miss Congeniality, The Proposal, The Blind SIde, 10s: The Heat, Gravity : 20s: The Lost City).

15 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

If this hits 450m, I wonder if we'll see a flood of movies specifically targeting the older white crowd.

During the IP Era that demographic seems underserved.

Or will they treat TGM like the exception and lightning in a bottle and think it's success can't easily be replicated.

TG:M is lightning in a bottle for sure, but there could other relevant brands that could be resurrected. IDK if anything checks all of boxes as this one did, though. 

E.T. 2 ft. original cast 

BACK TO THE FUTURE 4 featuring the original cast + Tom Holland as Marty's son?

COBRA KAI movie?

SPLASH 2 featuring Hanks as the Grandfather whose grandson meets a new mermaid?

BIG 2 featuring senior Hanks becoming a child in modern America 

Ferris Beuller 2

HONEY I SRHUNK THE GRAND KIDS starring RICK MORANIS

We are getting Keaton back as Batman next year...

5 minutes ago, excel1 said:

TG:M is lightning in a bottle for sure, but there could other relevant brands that could be resurrected. IDK if anything checks all of boxes as this one did, though. 

E.T. 2 ft. original cast 

Ferris Beuller 2

I don’t know which of these is the worst

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, excel1 said:

E.T. 2 ft. original cast 

COBRA KAI movie?

SPLASH 2 featuring Hanks as the Grandfather whose grandson meets a new mermaid?

Ferris Beuller 2

HONEY I SRHUNK THE GRAND KIDS starring RICK MORANIS

I think outside of BTTF these would struggle. Maybe Big 2 at a stretch, but the fact you'd be resting on a whole new gimmick would kind of negate anything.

I think Splash and Bueller are too of their time in some negative ways. They might pull in a nostalgia crowd but I don't see where they're pulling in new audiences. Splash would be closer to viable remake territory than a sequel.

ET would need not just the cast, who are in mixed situations, but the full crew returning and confidence with a story with a purpose. I don't see how that would happen, and I don't think Spielberg is that filmmaker anymore.

Mostly though, I don't think there's the sense of something there that was lost that a new generation wants to re-find in the way of Top Gun. At least of things that never already got sequels.

Breakfast Club isn't suited yet...if there was ever to be a sequel to Breakfast Club it would have to be Supper Club and the characters would be over 75. It's the only way to have a viable sequel IMO. We've 10-15 years on that yet.

If anything I think something like Kindergarten Cop or Demolition Man would do better, since they are more representative of that decade and representative of a kind of movie that hasn't been around in a while.

But if I was going to pitch anything.... we're probably overdue a new-era romcom success. So legacy sequels to Sleepless in Seattle or, I don't know, could one even DO a legacy sequel to Pretty Woman???

I'd love Honey I Shrunk the Grand Kids and, fingers crossed with Moranis' comeback, it's frankly the most likely one of these to actually happen. But it would have Disney+ written all over it, not box office juggernaut.  

18 minutes ago, excel1 said:

My take on these suggestions

E.T. 2 ft. original cast - HELL NO. Nothing good will come of revisiting this

BACK TO THE FUTURE 4 featuring the original cast + Tom Holland as Marty's son? - The Bobs have said this won't happen as long as both of them are alive. So the moment both of them die, Universal will greenlight a Ghostbusters: Afterlife thing. Christopher Lloyd to appear via CG recreation

COBRA KAI movie? - Not anymore after the show. Otherwise could have been a good idea for a movie

SPLASH 2 featuring Hanks as the Grandfather whose grandson meets a new mermaid? - This is just stupid

BIG 2 featuring senior Hanks becoming a child in modern America - I'll admit, this one has definite potential if they can come up with actual good commentary about the current work environment

Ferris Beuller 2 - No. Just no. Ferris is just too much a 80s movie to translate well now

HONEY I SRHUNK THE GRAND KIDS starring RICK MORANIS - Isn't this in development at Disney+ with Josh Gad? Disney already killing off the franchise with that.

The Thor and, especially, the dino doubting here is bizarro as shit to me. Thor will easily outgross Ragnarok unless it's absolutely horrible. Like dreadfully, horribly bad. 

Dominion is completely different than Fallen Kingdom. Old cast is back and it's not some bullshit cameo like Goldblum in Fallen Kingdom. They're making sure to show this in the trailers and TV spots so people know they're not doing that bait and switch again. And, as mentioned, dinos are all over the world not just in San Diego or spooky dumbass mansion or a remote island. It's new for Jurassic Park movies. And, people love dinos. Fallen Kingdom did 418M DOM in 2018. I can't imagine Dominion doesn't at least match those receipt + inflation of course.

As for Thor... People love Thor. It wasn't just Ragnarok that increased his popularity. He's enormously featured in Infinity War and Endgame. And, he's the last of the OG Avengers other than Hulk. Iron Man, Cap, Widow... They're gone. Hulk doesn't get his own movies. Thor is it. And, he's probably the most popular MCU anything right now other than the Guardians. Black Panther would be the most popular but unfortunately and very tragically that's no longer the case.

This is reminding me of the same doubting that occurred going into this weekend with Maverick... Now look, it's cleaning up and destined for awesome legs. Or, the "Strange 2 won't hit 370M+ DOM" narrative that ran rampant here for about a week until, well, yeah... It's gonna shoot past that this weekend and, almost definitely, clear 400M+ DOM too.

Come on, all! Just bask in it! Box office is back, man! Enjoy! Nope, Elvis, Lightyear, etc. will do well this summer too.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, YourMother said:

There’s a small chance Bad Guys, would need another great hold next weekend and with some fudge via Dominion, it could be around 95m. IF Lightyear doesn’t curbstomp, it will be around 97m by the time before Minions and some fudge could get it to 100m.

If they get the drive in pairing with Jurassic, that might get them over the top.

42 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

This right here.....

Besides, Only advantage of JWFK was that it was following JW and disadvantage of Dominion is that it's following JWFK.

When will some people here learn that wishful thinking against a certain blockbuster will not make it underperform at the box office? Doesn’t matter if the reception is poor or just mixed by critics, if a movie is a huge crowdpleaser it will make the blockbuster money it makes. Dominion could be more well-liked by the moviegoers. The audience-reception matters too.

We had movies that made over more than $1B WW, with a “rotten” reception from critics before: Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest & On Stranger Tides, Transformers: Dark of the Moon & Age of Extinction, Alice in Wonderland, Aladdin, Star Wars: The Phantom Menace & The Rise of Skywalker, Minions & Despicable Me 3.

Then we have two movies with a “rotten” reception that made way more at around $1.3-1.6B WW, like the aforementioned JW:FK & Jon Favreau’s The Lion King.

So, I don’t see why JW: Dominion wouldn’t be more of an audience-pleaser than Fallen Kingdom.

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34

6 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

But if I was going to pitch anything.... we're probably overdue a new-era romcom success. So legacy sequels to Sleepless in Seattle or, I don't know, could one even DO a legacy sequel to Pretty Woman???

You hit on one of the reasons romcoms died out or went to streaming - there's no continuing the IP. You get the "happily ever after" at the end of a romcom, continuing it is undoing the happily ever after part. Or you have to add kids and their problems parenting the kids which isn't a great idea for a romcom sequel anyway.

Basically the second part to a romcom will inevitably be about marital strife which isn't what people who will be fans of the first movie want to see.