EmpireCity

Weekend Thread (6/3-5) | Top Gun 2 drops 29% for 90M. The smallest second weekend drop ever for a 100M+ opener!

15 minutes ago, SupermanLego said:

What even was the major pull for those extreme legs ? was it just being the first women led superhero movie ??

I'd say it was sold as the first women led superhero movie, but it really wasn't (they pretend Catwoman never happened). This kind of pull is possible only in US because of cultural differences, but it would never work OS because it was nothing special as a movie.

Edited by Firepower
  • Like 1

Compared to few other Memorial Day openers, Fri-to-True Opening Fri holds. The difference is night and day between between Maverick and others. 

PotC: AWE - -70.1%

IJ&TKoTCS - -60.1%

NatM: BotS - -53.1%

Hangover 2 - -64.6%

MiB3 - -49.7%

F&F6 - -66.7%

XM: DoFP - -65.6%

XM: Apocalypse - -58.1%

PotC:DMTNT - -64.9%

Solo:ASWS - -61.8%

Aladdin - -51.3%

TG:M - -29.7%

Edited by Tokugennumataka
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

Would you trust early friday from deadline or empirecity. 

Top Gun 2 is expected to beat War of the Worlds on Saturday; the Joseph Kosinski-directed sequel eyeing a second Friday of $20M, -61% against last Friday (+ previews) on its way to a 3-day of $68M, -46%. Some rival studios see it much higher, but again, it’s still early.

Edited by keysersoze123
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Tokugennumataka said:

Deadline calling 2M Fri for DS2, barely 40% over Thu. They're estimating 6.5M(-59%).

The early streaming release announcment effect.

DS2 is dead. 400M might be too.

I would ignore early projections for DS2. its not making that much and its still just 2PM PST. We need to wait until evening to get an accurate estimate. That said its not an outrageous number. Weekdays this week have been strong. So smaller friday increase. 

13 minutes ago, Tokugennumataka said:

Deadline calling 2M Fri for DS2, barely 40% over Thu. They're estimating 6.5M(-59%).

400m maybe in jeopardy.

4.) The Bad Guys (Uni) 2,869 (-75) theaters, Fri $850K(-32%), 3-day $3.1M (-29%), Total $87M/Wk 7

Good hold for Bad Guys, could top Encanto as second biggest animation of the pandemic. 

1 hour ago, YourMother said:

4.) The Bad Guys (Uni) 2,869 (-75) theaters, Fri $850K(-32%), 3-day $3.1M (-29%), Total $87M/Wk 7

Good hold for Bad Guys, could top Encanto as second biggest animation of the pandemic. 

Feel like Lightyear is gonna kill an otherwise light chance it had at fudging to 100m DOM, with Summer weekdays approaching. Still, Hell of a run and I too think it'll beat Encanto.

2 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Feel like Lightyear is gonna kill an otherwise light chance it had at fudging to 100m DOM, with Summer weekdays approaching. Still, Hell of a run and I too think it'll beat Encanto.

Bad Guys ruled. I was shocked at how good it was. 

• Like 1