Eric Prime

WEEKEND THREAD: No one went to the Danger Zone :( 145M JWD, 51.8M TGM, EEAAO reaches 61 DOM

7 hours ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

The Jurassic World films are something that is actually very rare today imo: "Classic" popcorn summer movies. Movies, that for most people mean something that you see for some cool dino action and as an opportunity to just forget the real world for 2 hours. Its not part of a massive interconnected universe, its not a massive fan-driven franchise like Star Wars where every single detail is discussed to death and its not the movie that will change society forever.

Fast and Furious?

Mission Impossible?

Jumanji?

Bond?

Sonic?

Bad Boys?

Ghostbusters Afterlife?

Illuminaion Studios Entire Output?

Pacific Rim?

The Whole Monsterverse?

Disney Remakes?

I think if there's anything we're swimming in now, it's pure-entertainment blockbuster movies. Sure, SW and Comic books have interconnected worlds, but none of the rest do.

This seems to be hearking back to a different era in some way. But in the 90s there were 3ish blockbusters a year (at best 2 per year that 'defined the summer')

• ...wtf 1

16 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

$38.5m for Jurassic.  

In the end, quite a good Sunday number for it. Also an encouraging sign that it has kept rising from earlier estimates though that doesnt neccessarily mean it has good WOM. Weekdays and 2nd Weekend will tell us much more.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

In the end, quite a good Sunday number for it. Also an encouraging sign that it has kept rising from earlier estimates though that doesnt neccessarily mean it has good WOM. Weekdays and 2nd Weekend will tell us much more.

Meh Saturday bump compensated by great Sunday's hold

1 hour ago, Borobudur said:

Meh Saturday bump compensated by great Sunday's hold

Its summer - Sat bumps especially for OWs are often look meh on paper. Sat was +12% vs FK’s +14%, not really a significant change 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Xavier said:

WHAT now? I did in no way shape or form imply what you write and that is a reach. I just meant that between that character in JWD, the Valkyrie in Thor and (maybe kinda sorta) Okoye in BP (and I’m sure I’m forgetting a couple more), I see a pattern which does not do the representation fight any justice, because it feels like producers are trying too much.

Please remove the warning, I had no intention to mean it the way you interpreted it.

Wait, what? Isn't Okoye part of a group of Wakandan warrior women in the comic books? Isn't that the same for Valkyrie in the Thor comics? The character in JWD sticks out that's a competent pilot with an Air Force background but not Bryce Dallas Howard running around doing Jason Bourne stuff or the 70+ year old guys and 60+ year old woman from the OG cast being back doing action movie stuff? Really? I don't recall her being some action star in the film. No more than anyone else in it. This is what seen as trying too hard? Isn't the character in Lightyear just an astronaut? That's potentially seen as trying too hard? Having a black female astronaut in an animated sci-fi fantasy film?

Did you have the same complaints when the Matrix and its sequels came out 20 years ago?

Edited by JohnnyGossamer

3 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

Came in a little under what I thought earlier, but $17.7m for TG2.  

Amazing sunday number for TG2, its a 12% from Saturday! next weekend hold will be very good (sub 20% drop)

• Like 2

General question: What do you all think are the top Non-CBM franchises box-office wise at the moment? My Top 5 list woud probably be:

01. Avatar, as its obvious that it will post massive numbers with the 2nd movie this winter and unless it is somehow badly received i see no reason why the other sequels wont be enormous successes as well.

02. Jurassic Park/World, because even though Dominion will probably miss 1B, the franchise has shown that it has enormous appeal among all demographics and should they come up with a really good idea for the inevitable 7th installment, that could break out again. So while it will rest for a while, it still doesnt get much better as a bankable franchise than JP.

03. Star Wars, since yes Rise of Skywalker was a disappointment and Solo was a gigantic flop in 2018, but Star Wars is still Star Wars, meaning should Disney manage to actually plan things out in the future regarding a possible new series of movies (i know, a big if), theres gigantic potential still here. Even will all the "Star Wars DEAD" chatter going around, this is still Star Wars. It survived Jar Jar Binks, it will survive the Sequel Trilogy. However, things could go really wrong imo if Disney puts out another big movie that is as bad as TROS.

04. Mission: Impossible. I thought about putting James Bond here, but with that series getting a new actor for the lead role, i can see it dropping from the latest Craig movies as is often the case when that franchise gets a new lead actor. M:I meanwhile could go even higher than Fallout with the Dead Reckoning movies imo.

05. James Bond. Its still James Bond.

Edited by Brainbug the Dinosaur
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

General question: What do you all think are the top Non-CBM franchises at the moment? My Top 5 list woud probably be:

01. Avatar, as its obvious that it will post massive numbers with the 2nd movie this winter and unless it is somehow badly received i see no reason why the other sequels wont be enormous successes as well.

02. Jurassic Park/World, because even though Dominion will probably miss 1B, the franchise has shown that it has enormous appeal among all demographics and should they come up with a really good idea for the inevitable 7th installment, that could break out again. So while it will rest for a while, it still doesnt get much better as a bankable franchise than JP.

03. Star Wars, since yes Rise of Skywalker was a disappointment and Solo was a gigantic flop in 2018, but Star Wars is still Star Wars, meaning should Disney manage to actually plan things out in the future regarding a possible new series of movies (i know, a big if), theres gigantic potential still here. Even will all the "Star Wars DEAD" chatter going around, this is still Star Wars. It survived Jar Jar Binks, it will survive the Sequel Trilogy. However, things could go really wrong imo if Disney puts out another big movie that is as bad as TROS.

04. Mission: Impossible. I thought about putting James Bond here, but with that series getting a new actor for the lead role, i can see it dropping from the latest Craig movies as is often the case when that franchise gets a new lead actor. M:I meanwhile could go even higher than Fallout with the Dead Reckoning movies imo.

05. James Bond. Its still James Bond.

In terms of box office? Or, in terms of what's preferred to watch? If you're going box office, you shouldn't leave Fast off that list. it would be ahead of your last two.

This question reminds me that currently 4 of the top 7 highest grossing movie franchises are CBM (MCU #1, Spider-man #3, Avengers #6, Batman #7). I am betting that increases to 5/7 somewhat soon and perhaps 6/7 eventually.