EmpireCity

WEEKEND THREAD: Lightyear implodes with 51M DOM, 85.6M WW. THE LAST PIXAR MOVIE EVER?????😱😱😱 | Dominion #1 with 58.66M, Top Gun 44M

Just now, ThomasNicole said:

Thor would need to get a real bad reception and crumble on presales to open with just 130M or so, that's not realistic at all so far. 

I have learned my gut has been pretty dang on point this summer, better than when I try to look at presales...so, my gut says that's the number:).  Just looking at who I think will come out and why.

100M OS isnt safe for Lightyear. The Minions are soon coming to steal away its whole audience and it just opened to 34,6M. Unless it has some markets left, this looks abysmal.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

100M OS isnt safe for Lightyear. The Minions are soon coming to steal away its whole audience and it just opened to 34,6M. Unless it has some markets left, this looks abysmal.

There’s a solid chance this not only does under Encanto but under The Bad Guys worldwide.

I don’t want to hear “it’s relatively good when you see how other animations did”, this is a complete and utter failure. No beating around the bush. Don’t think all Pixar movies will go to Plus (maybe a few) but I do think a downsizing is possible. 

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 5

Deadline graspng for straws. 

"How else did Jurassic World Dominion whip Lightyear? I hear that Dominion had more large format availability and more evening activity than Lightyear which helped the box office for the Colin Trevorrow film. Box office stat firm EntTelligence reports that Dominion had 51% of the premium format seats to Lightyear‘s 43%. The presales in weekend 2 for the dinosaurs indicated this would happen. 400 Imax auditoriums generated 8% of Dominion‘s gross with another PLF screens driving 11%. All in, all premium formats repped close to a third of Dominion‘s second weekend take or $17M. Imax and PLF drove 24% of the gross for Lightyear."

If PLF generated close to a third of Dominion's weekend take and Lightyear only 24%, that just means Lightyear is less reliant on its PLF screens to generate revenue and doesnt seem proportional to the overral PLF difference.

"Next weekend, Disney gets all the Imax screens for the Angus MacLane directed movie."

I expect this not to happen

Edited by Alex SciChannel
  • Like 1

Deadline including American Sniper’s $89 million best 4th weekend ever in their Top Gun paragraph is just embarrassing. 

You could even argue it’s the second best for a movie in its fourth weekend, as American Sniper went wide in weekend 4 after a platform holiday release”

No, it’s not even worth arguing. It doesn’t count full stop. Lol. 

• Like 12

Just now, Alex SciChannel said:

Deadline graspng for straws. 

How else did Jurassic World Dominion whip Lightyear? I hear that Dominion had more large format availability and more evening activity than Lightyear which helped the box office for the Colin Trevorrow film. Box office stat firm EntTelligence reports that Dominion had 51% of the premium format seats to Lightyear‘s 43%. The presales in weekend 2 for the dinosaurs indicated this would happen. 400 Imax auditoriums generated 8% of Dominion‘s gross with another PLF screens driving 11%. All in, all premium formats repped close to a third of Dominion‘s second weekend take or $17M. Imax and PLF drove 24% of the gross for Lightyear."

If PLF generated close to a third of Dominion's weekend take and Lightyear only 24%, that just means Lightyear is less reliant on its PLF screens to generate revenue and doesnt seem proportional to the overral PLF difference.

"Next weekend, Disney gets all the Imax screens for the Angus MacLane directed movie."

I expect this not to happen

Lightyear seems contracted to play in IMAX for at least two weeks due to 30 minutes or so of the movie expanding to the format so I imagine Top Gun will try and claim the night shows Jurassic World is currently having back next weekend since all Dolby Cinema's seem to be going to Elvis (and since Minions getting IMAX screens for the full day that 4th of July week, at least where I'm looking, seems to indicate that Universal has them under contract for it).

1 minute ago, YourMother said:

Glad, EmpireCity isn’t in obvious denial anymore with the title lol.

I edited the title lol.

And for the record EC, this is just a joke. I’m having fun. It’s something silly. Please do not give me a lecture over this

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

7 minutes ago, YourMother said:

There’s a solid chance this not only does under Encanto but under The Bad Guys worldwide.

I don’t want to hear “it’s relatively good when you see how other animations did”, this is a complete and utter failure. No beating around the bush. Don’t think all Pixar movies will go to Plus (maybe a few) but I do think a downsizing is possible. 

if Pixar make great movies, as they always have done for 27 years, and Disney make it clear they can’t be watched for free on tv after seven weeks, then they’ll be just fine. 

This weekend has been an education for Disney and Chapek who have literally thrown hundreds of millions down the drain with their actions building up to this release. 

Chapek’s classic “we will do what our consumers are asking for” that he’s said the past couple of quarters will result in losing the studio money, and ultimately creative talent.  This feels like the straw that broke the camel’s back as far as his tenure goes. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Utterly dreadful number for Lightyear. No way around it. This is their Solo moment. And seeing as how that movie is a major reason as to why Star Wars has spent the last few years in streaming purgatory, I'm getting pretty worried for Pixar.

Stop overreacting, Pixar are not going to be streaming only or being closed down.

• Like 1

Just now, EmeraldWitch said:

Damn. I thought Empirecity was being sarcastic in the feud the other day but it seems like 600m is truly locked for TGM. Is over Titanic back into the table yet? :ph34r:

Over Titanic would mean over Jurassic World.

Therefore, no.

Its impossible.

• Haha 9

1 minute ago, AdrianL said:

Wow at the Doctor Strange drop. Should've been put on D+ next month... so stupid. 

or even keep it this week, but charge $20 for it. Simple. 
Then put it on regular Disney+ in September or something. Would make no difference to subs and they’d gain more revenue from theatrical and PVOD etc. But there we go! 

• Like 1