EmpireCity

WEEKEND THREAD: Lightyear implodes with 51M DOM, 85.6M WW. THE LAST PIXAR MOVIE EVER?????😱😱😱 | Dominion #1 with 58.66M, Top Gun 44M

39 minutes ago, Mulder said:

So Dominion had a drop almost identical to Fallen Kingdom's. Hope some people who were insisting on CinemaScore being wrong can eat some crow now.

:hahaha:  

1 hour ago, EmpireCity said:

Some will, but most won't.  

I mean this with all due respect, but there are millions and millions of families who aren't completely budget constrained and searching for the latest T-Mobile deal and thinking that $8 for Disney+ is outrageously high.  Most families are willing to pay and theaters are still one of the cheaper ways to burn THREE* hours of time.  The families who are having to count every penny were never a core audience to begin with.  They were more apt to head to a public park or pool and let the kids run around for free.  

*putting the time limit on it because the last time this came up you cited a bunch of 1 hour options.  

If you think families aren't budget constrained this summer, well, that I think might be a different reality than where we're in...

That said, I've said Minions would beat Lightyear all summer, so I'm not surprised by this result.  But I'll go further. 

If there is no big TMobile deal before Minions opens, I don't think Minions breaks $60M in its 3 day (or its effective 4 day if it's got some 2pm preview Thursday sh&t), either.  No idea what Box Office Pro is tracking it at, but that will be the reality this summer...

It’s still crazy to me how Paramount projected a 10% Sunday increase and still might

come out lowballing it. I thought that was very aggressive on their part but it might turn out to be anything but. Has anything like this ever happened? I feel like studios never project Sunday increases (I can only think of one time it happened and the studio obviously ended up being dead wrong trying to fudge its numbers).

Edited by superduperm
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Maybe I don't understand, but why is T-Mobile specifically the make it or break it carrier?

B/c they are the only ones running big movie deals through Atom.  There are 107M TMobile subscribers in the US, and about 80M have TMobile Tuesday deals.  It is literally the biggest discount you can get (80M codes floating and tradeable), barring Atom running their own deals, of which those tend to be limited to 10K tickets or less for a movie...

TL/DR - TMobile is the 2nd biggest mobile carrier in the US and the one that focuses on delivering its subscribers entertainment deals...

Edited by TwoMisfits

Just now, ringedmortality said:

I'll be honest, I'm a T-Mobile subscriber and I never heard of any of this.

Are you one of the unlucky without TMobile Tuesday deals?  This year, we've already gotten Paramount Plus, MLB TV, and Apple TV for a year, and this Tuesday is AAA membership for a year.  That's in addition to the movie deals.  If you don't have it, you really should upgrade to a plan that has it (if you're grandfathered in on a really old plan)... 

39 minutes ago, Zucch11 said:

Top Gun is overperforming literally everywhere in the world including places like Japan/Germany/France/Canada. It's reasonable to think that its success is because it is tapping into something more universal than tired US politics. Infact it is quite telling that some people fail to see analyze their entertainment without their extremely narrow US political stripe tinted glasses.

Yeah maybe it's just a great movie that's really fun to watch on the big-screen, has practical effects that I've never seen before, great acting and has themes, characters and storylines that a lot of people connect with. The filmmakers waited for the right story before they made it, unlike some other sequels/spin-offs that just want to hit a release date and print some more money in Q2. 

I can't remember the last movie where I both laughed, shed a few tears (discretely, I have a rep to uphold) and at multiple points realized, and smiled at, how tightly I was gripping the chair. I went out feeling great and immediately wanted to see it again. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

I'll be honest, I'm a T-Mobile subscriber and I never heard of any of this.

You haven't been using the T-Mobile Tuesdays deals? Download the T-Mobile Tuesdays app. It's worth it, lots of free stuff. I got a subscription to The Athletic, one year of Paramount+, one year of MLB.tv and a lot of food and drink offers and movie ticket offers this year. 

1 hour ago, CoolioD1 said:

then we'd be guaranteed the first 1 billion domestic grosser; live action shrek remake.

Jared Leto gets cast and he’d live in a swamp for six months to prepare.

• Haha 1

Echoing thoughts in this thread: just scanned LA theaters and never seen demand for a movie exceed supply like Top Gun today. Jurassic is doing pretty well in most larger auditoriums. Lightyear hit or miss depending on the theater and PLFs. Top Gun is getting an average of 3 mid-ranged screens per theater and except for front rows you can't get a seat until 10pm-on. Even big Marvel opening weekends have enough showtimes that 1 or 2 out of six will be largely empty just because showtimes are stacked so close together. 

If I were Paramount I would spend whatever it takes to get it back onto IMAX screens this weekend. They'll sell out. And then there's an opportunity to keep evening shows over July 4th weekend (will Minions really be filling seats after 5pm/7pm?).

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 7

25 minutes ago, superduperm said:

It’s still crazy to me how Paramount projected a 10% Sunday increase and still might

come out lowballing it. I thought that was very aggressive on their part but it might turn out to be anything but. Has anything like this ever happened? I feel like studios never project Sunday increases (I can only think of one time it happened and the studio obviously ended up being dead wrong trying to fudge its numbers).

They projected a holiday adjustment, which is pretty standard, given the plethora of past examples of exactly such outcomes 

• Like 2