Eric Prime

THOR: LOVE AND THUNDER WEEKEND THREAD | The hammer swings down with 144.2 DOM, 302 WW, the 3rd-biggest 2022 opening | Minions 46.1, TGM 15.5, Elvis 11.2, JWD 8.6

4 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

Exactly. And those people who think 140m OW is close to a near disaster are a bit disingenuous, pretending 1) that the market is fully recovered 2) that they didn't see the reviews before the opening. Once the mixed WoM polls were out, surely everyone adjusted their predictions to a lower amount. Now if you argue that its total will be underwhelming, that's a different thing, but you can never call a franchise best opening disappointing, 

Well, you can totally call it disappointing - you just can't call it bad or unexpected.

I mean, if we wind back 2 months, as many here have put it, there was no one on the board who seriously thought under $180M for Thor, present company excluded.  I know, b/c I heard about it:).  

Heck, even after $29M previews, go back in this thread and see folks putting in 5.5x-5.9x multiples for the movie and saying $160M-$170M+ was certain.  

So, all of them can be disappointed that their early expectations and even their post Thursday expectations didn't happen.  

But disappointed doesn't mean bad...

8 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Yeah. Ha! I was a little older than all these guys when I joined this forum... In 2013.

Other "old" people here will remember waiting to get box office news Entertainment Weekly whenever I got the physical magazine in the mail when I was kid. Haha. I remember I loved the summer blockbuster edition. My friends and I would discuss the movies and box office projections in it for weeks and weeks before the summer movies started releasing. I was a HS FR when Phantom Menance dropped. Remember literally camping out on concrete outside some crap theater to get tickets.

I’ve got newspaper cuttings from when Batman Forever made $53.3 million in 1995.

I made a newspaper article for school that included Batman Returns and Lethal Weapon 3’s fight for the summer crown in 1992. 

Mr Showbiz daily numbers were everything in the 56k dial up days of 1997’ish onwards.  Plus of course Gitesh and his boxofficeguru column. 

Then there was the Monday morning CNN box office segment with Martin Grove. Boy this guy was a hero. He used to get so excited. 
I used to record the segment. I’ve a whole VHS somewhere of his analysis reports on a Monday, primarily filled with 1996-1999.

I’ve even got notebooks I used to make with the weekly numbers from around 1993 onwards. Did that for years. 

So yeah, I’ve been around. I don’t tend to lose sleep over $140 million opening weekend disappointment hysteria….

indiana jones gun GIF

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

It's safe to say we're at 2019 levels

I double checked to see

June 2022 had $968,820,288 gross

June 2019 had $1,149,048,054 gross.

So it's about 15.7% lower than 2019. June 2022 is the worst "normal" June since 2007 btw.

But it is at least comparable to previous years, unlike 2020 and 2021.

🤓

Edited by cannastop

So now I can see why Elvis has such strong word of mouth. It's an absolutely fantastic movie and something I think I will see again. For those who have seen the movie and might think some of the scenes with how the women went crazy over him shaking his hips might have been a bit of exaggeration I can tell you that it's not. I was only born five years before he died but my mother absolutely was in love with Elvis to the point where it actually bothered my father LOL

I didn't care for Elvis's music when I was a kid but as an adult I can't get enough of it. And I thought it was fitting that In the Ghetto played in the part of the movie that it did because I think it's probably one of the top three songs ever recorded.

I actually got really emotional in the movie as well so I'm glad to see it's doing well. And I had no idea Billy from stranger things was in the movie but I recognized him instantly.

I would love to see this get to 150 and have a very strong presence and next year's oscars. Austin Butler was out of this world crazy good.

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

I feel like people throw around the "market hasn't fully recovered!" narrative when a movie they like underwhelms.

It's safe to say we're at 2019 levels

Because that is the truth. The market hasn't recovered fully yet. We are getting there, but just look at the rest of the summer. After Thor there is Nope and Bullet Train. That's pretty much it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The Dark Alfred said:

Because that is the truth. The market hasn't recovered fully yet. We are getting there, but just look at the rest of the summer. After Thor there is Nope and Bullet Train. That's pretty much it.

yeah July and August will be ruff

21 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

Exactly. And those people who think 140m OW is close to a near disaster are a bit disingenuous, pretending 1) that the market is fully recovered 2) that they didn't see the reviews before the opening. Once the mixed WoM polls were out, surely everyone adjusted their predictions to a lower amount. Now if you argue that its total will be underwhelming, that's a different thing, but you can never call a franchise best opening disappointing, 

Many studios would kill for that sort of OW as well. 

28 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

How quickly we have gone from “theatres are dead” to “$140 million? What a letdown!!”  

What a difference a year makes. 

Marvel Balance GIF

There are still some of here who thinks cinemas are going to go extinct. 

3 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

That has nothing to do with market. Yes, there's a lack of content but the films that release are performing at a mostly high level, highest since 2019 undeniably

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, StormbreakerXXR said:

Him. That's all that existed. 

He clapped his hands together and rubbed them like Mr Miyagi in the original karate kid when he was fixing Daniel's leg. And then boom out came the universe as we know it.

12 minutes ago, baumer said:

So now I can see why Elvis has such strong word of mouth. It's an absolutely fantastic movie and something I think I will see again. For those who have seen the movie and might think some of the scenes with how the women went crazy over him shaking his hips might have been a bit of exaggeration I can tell you that it's not. I was only born five years before he died but my mother absolutely was in love with Elvis to the point where it actually bothered my father LOL

I didn't care for Elvis's music when I was a kid but as an adult I can't get enough of it. And I thought it was fitting that In the Ghetto played in the part of the movie that it did because I think it's probably one of the top three songs ever recorded.

I actually got really emotional in the movie as well so I'm glad to see it's doing well. And I had no idea Billy from stranger things was in the movie but I recognized him instantly.

I would love to see this get to 150 and have a very strong presence and next year's oscars. Austin Butler was out of this world crazy good.

I loved it too, and I think Butler has a good shot at a nomination. I worry the movie itself may not make it into Best Picture noms, as Hanks' performance alone brings it down a notch. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Yeah. Ha! I was a little older than all these guys when I joined this forum... In 2013.

Other "old" people here will remember waiting to get box office news Entertainment Weekly whenever I got the physical magazine in the mail when I was kid. Haha. I remember I loved the summer blockbuster edition. My friends and I would discuss the movies and box office projections in it for weeks and weeks before the summer movies started releasing. I was a HS FR when Phantom Menance dropped. Remember literally camping out on concrete outside some crap theater to get tickets.

11 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

I’ve got newspaper cuttings from when Batman Forever made $53.3 million in 1995.

I made a newspaper article for school that included Batman Returns and Lethal Weapon 3’s fight for the summer crown in 1992. 

Mr Showbiz daily numbers were everything in the 56k dial up days of 1997’ish onwards.  Plus of course Gitesh and his boxofficeguru column. 

Then there was the Monday morning CNN box office segment with Martin Grove. Boy this guy was a hero. He used to get so excited. 
I used to record the segment. I’ve a whole VHS somewhere of his analysis reports on a Monday, primarily filled with 1996-1999.

I’ve even got notebooks I used to make with the weekly numbers from around 1993 onwards. Did that for years. 

So yeah, I’ve been around. I don’t tend to lose sleep over $140 million opening weekend disappointment hysteria….

indiana jones gun GIF

I used to grab the USA Today paper every Monday in the 80's and 90's to check the top 10 box office movies.  Sometimes those slackers held them until Tuesday.  50 cents down the drain.  LOL. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DC Rich said:

I used to grab the USA Today paper every Monday in the 80's and 90's to check the top 10 box office movies.  Sometimes those slackers held them until Tuesday.  50 cents down the drain.  LOL. 

I'd do the same for baseball stats in the newspaper. In 2003-2004. 😲

20 minutes ago, cannastop said:

So it's about 15.7% lower than 2019. June 2022 is the worst "normal" June since 2007 btw.

but speaking of monthly grosses, there was a $300 million hole in March-April box office that could have been filled by a certain Pixar movie. 😒

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StormbreakerXXR said:

For reference, how old are some of you? 

I am an ancient human being sitting at 28 years old.

Someone end my misery, please :sadfleck:

• Sad 1